Lockups and AV disabled?

S

S-Gray

I have Windows 2000 on my main comp, and everytime windows starts up, it takes AGES (as in like 3/4 minutes) for it to fully load up, it goes to the desktop where it hangs, i C+A+D it, and it says the CPU Performace in Task Manager is 100%, then it shoots down to 3%'ish.

During this time, in my Sysbar, my norton Antivirus 2001 disables itself, and then re-enables itself.

It also takes a while durin the lockup stage to get onto the net (coz as soon as windows loads up i click on the Alcatel Program).

I also have the Asus Probe 2 which monitors my Motherboard/CPU temperature, usually around 12 midnight it gives a warning saying the temperature of the CPU is 125degrees, then bout 10/20 seconds later it goes down to 30/60 degrees.

Its very strange

F

FuZor

:( jesus man! thats one fooked PC!

Tried touching the heatsink on CPU? thats a good way of finding out if your CPU is burnin!

S

S-Gray

PC's have always been Problematic for me :/ dunno if its ever the programs i install or Hardware keeps fucking up :/

i've not actually taken off my CPU Fan since it was put on the mobo a few months back, but im thinkin of maybe ventilating my Case better, throwin loads of fans in and everythin.

S

Summo

By 125 degrees I take it you mean Farenheit, which is roughly 55 degrees Celsius. Hot, but not too bad.

Sounds to me like your Norton is b0rked. Sounds like it has a tendancy to hog processor time something chronic which causes your CPU to get hotter and hotter. It may be locking on startup and after a certain period of time it either timesout or Windows ends the task. Try uninstalling it just to see if it improves anything and report back here at 0900 tomorrow.

F

Furr

Yeah i dont use norton anymore except for the windows fix program. My processor runs at 25 C

S

S-Gray

Well it happened again today :/

This time it took fuckin longer than ever, about 10minutes just to access the internet ffs, then it said i wasnt even connected!!!

i think i will uninstall Norton, go out find Norton 2002 AV and install that, i dont need Internet Security coz i dont use there Firewall no more.

S

S-Gray

I just un installed Norton Internet Security and Norton AntiVirus 2001, reset, it still locked up at startup, so, i reset it locks up, so i had to reset using the reset button, and when Win2000 loads up, ALL MY DESKTOP ICONS VANISHED!! and i couldnt CAD or click start, so basically it was a fucked PC so i go into safe mode it takes its time, but all my icons are still there.

Anyway i looked in Startup and i seen Zone Alarm 3, so i thought, may as well remove it from startup and see if it does anythin, resets it comes on straight away!!

fucking ZA3 screwed my comp!! last time i download that!! :/

S

S-Gray

lol great :D, just downloaded Norton AV 2002 and it expires tomorrow lol feckers

F

FuZor

lol, I have MCAfee scanner running always, along with many more progs... Including Zone Alarm PRO No problems. Apart from meh PSU died today :(

S

S-Gray

not a big fan of McAfee, but i dunno why ZAP3 / ZA always crashes... it did last time before i formatted comp.. fecker :/

F

FuZor

Weird man! :p

If I were u, i'd format the H/D or disks if you have more than one. Get the newest drivers for everthing, new bios, hell even a new gfx bios update! Open the case clean it out, re-apply the heatsink (And make sure its meaty enough) with artic silver, invest in some more cooling fans, re-seat the ram, and get a bigger PSU if yours is less than 300W.

Re-install 2000, slowly, one driver at a time. Then the software, and in cases like MCAfee get updates before you install anything else!

Do that all should be fine... you shouldn't have ay probs with yer PC again. If ya do, you got some fooked hardware floating about.

If its just ZA3, try a different firewall;)

S

S-Gray

aye i notice it loads up straight away now, but notice when connectin to QuakeNet on mIRC (or any server) it takes a while for it to give me chatrooms.

S

S-Gray

bah it still seems to be lockin up at the start, and im now buggered if i know why.

Perhaps i should take a theory like this:

A Car engine in the morning is cold, it takes a few attempts for it to start up, otherwise it may keep stalling.

Now, the CPU is the Car engine, and its not been on for a few hours, so it keeps locking up when i first turn on the comp in the morning, and the "stalls" are where it locks up.

==

Stupid idea but hell its gotta be somethin like that heh

S

S-Gray

/Jumps on Alcatel Modem, and screams "You bastard!!".

This seems to be a problem :/, so i unistalled the fecker, and it corrupted some of my Files (VSMon.exe didnt ever close - Saying VSMon.exe File is corrupt blah blah).

Anyway, after installing / unistalling several times i finally got it to work (My internet) and the VSmon errors stopped, i thought i had fucked my Computer good when it didnt close the error box :/

Also my Norton Av 2002 which i recently downloaded is doin the same as it did before i removed 2001, but this time it doesnt re-enable itself, instead it does enable itself full stop (Auto protect)

Ahhhhhh!!!

S

sabrex

It all sounds like a nightmare!

Norton AV is the culprit of many a support call. Not only does it suck your resources dry ie: norton system utilities that monitor for a crash but are actualy crashing it in the first place!
It has uninstall problems aswell and so recommend starting again by re-installing the OS - then system Board drivers if you have them then installing other componants. GL

S

Scouse

I GET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes - it's the combination of Norton Anti Virus and Zone Alarm 3. (Or perhaps just ZA3).

I "upgraded" my ZAPro to 3 and it f00ked both my Windoze 2000 box (which hitherto was stable in the extreme) and my XP Professional Laptop.

If you were paying attention - ZoneLabs have released about 3 patches to the current version of Zone Alarm 3. They've changed the version number but not the numeric of the actual download - so people think they're downloading the same version but in reality they're downloading a newer one.

And yes - on my laptop I get the VSMON error aswell.

In my defence. I can't be arsed rebuilding my machine as I'm only ever home at the weekends and after the 5 mins waiting for my Win2k machine to boot up and get it's internet connectivity it doesn't get turned off again until Monday morning.

If you come up with a solution give me a shout! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom