Motoring Locking Wheel Nut

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Very defeatest Trem :( Surely a jackhammer would sort it.

I already had to blame Stu for the damage after the mechanic saw my wheel "had a fucking chisel for Xmas have you?" is what he said, I then said "oh yeah my mate did that, hes a bricky" mechanic said "yeah and you can fucking tell"

Stu hasn't been near it :(

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
Have you tried home-made dynamite ? I'm sure that Ch3t would approve of such an attempt, but please make sure someone videos it and posts the results, on the offchance you are unable to reach a PC afterwards

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I already had to blame Stu for the damage after the mechanic saw my wheel "had a fucking chisel for Xmas have you?" is what he said, I then said "oh yeah my mate did that, hes a bricky" mechanic said "yeah and you can fucking tell"

Stu hasn't been near it :(
Did you ever think the cause of Stu's problems is he reads all the shit you write about him on here :p

Trem

Did you ever consider all of my problems are I have had to put up with Stu for so long?

I see he survives through overdoses, falling off roofs, falling off motorbikes etc and think humans are immortal ;)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Did you ever consider all of my problems are I have had to put up with Stu for so long?
No, was I supposed to? :p

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

Fuggz

Fledgling Freddie
Booked in for 11am tomorrow, tried Kwik Fit and while being really helpful they said they couldn't do it due to the collar on the bolt.

Did you ask for a quote? I make sure I have some sort of guideline so that if the repair is to go beyond it they contact me first.

Trem

Did you ask for a quote? I make sure I have some sort of guideline so that if the repair is to go beyond it they contact me first.

It won't be much, hes booked it in for an hour. I won't be ripped off....trust me.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
It won't be much, hes booked it in for an hour. I won't be ripped off....trust me.

ooh i love when ppl say stuff like that :)

u cant imagine just how resourceful dodgy mnechanics can be if they really want your cash :)

all they need is a screwdriver and 10 seconds of you not looking at him and your gonna get a "oh btw, i saw this......." ;)

Trem

I'm big and not female though ;)

All done and it cost me £20.

Fuggz

Fledgling Freddie
All done and it cost me £20.

Not a bad result. No lost fingers, eyes or waking up in hospital with a spanner sticking out of your temple.

Locking wheel nuts are anti-theft devices. If they were easy to remove well yadda yadda yadda...

uzyg

Fledgling Freddie
Trem - Could I ask where you got the job done??

Im in Nottingham and have the same problem.

What method did the mechanic use to get the bolt off??

Any help would be much appreciated mate as the only other option is to take it into Volvo and pay them an arm and a leg to get it removed...and thats IF they can.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Don't tell him Trem, he's only just registered. Clearly a car thief!!!!! :D

Trem

Trem - Could I ask where you got the job done??

Im in Nottingham and have the same problem.

What method did the mechanic use to get the bolt off??

Any help would be much appreciated mate as the only other option is to take it into Volvo and pay them an arm and a leg to get it removed...and thats IF they can.

Just a local mechanics did it but you need one with an arc welder so as to not damage your alloys. Cost me £20 iirc and it took them minutes. Welded a big bolt onto the nuts then used the air gun to get it off. Do not spend any money trying any other way.

taB

Part of the furniture
Am bookmarking this thread for info as have just got a car with one of these locking thingamajiggers for the first time.

uzyg

Fledgling Freddie
thanks. So i take it an engineering place will be the best bet... i cant picture how this welding thing would work as I thought fitting any type of bolt onto the locking nut didnt work as there was no space between the nut and the wheel rim? Anyone have any images/pics?

and no im not a thief, just someone with 2 worn tyres that need replacing urgently and have already broken a mcgard key trying to get my wheels off

Trem

thanks. So i take it an engineering place will be the best bet... i cant picture how this welding thing would work as I thought fitting any type of bolt onto the locking nut didnt work as there was no space between the nut and the wheel rim? Anyone have any images/pics?

and no im not a thief, just someone with 2 worn tyres that need replacing urgently and have already broken a mcgard key trying to get my wheels off

You have a name that we would associate with a bot so don't worry, we just fear outsiders :eek:

:D

I also couldn't imagine how they would do it but it was no bother at all for them, he didn't bat an eyelid when I asked him if he could do it. You don't need any place other than a garage who has an arc welder, I imagine any body shop garage would have one. You can do it with any welding equipment but the other ways will fuck your wheel up a lot more than an arc welder.

Don't do what I did and blow it up into a massive issue and stress about it all, mechanics have seen this sort of thing many times and they will get them off a piece of piss.

No pics I'm afraid, but I highly suggest you remove all the McGard nuts and replace them before you get in the shit in the middle of nowhere.

Go see DPA in Nottingham, hes a great bloke/mechanic, its a Volvo garage but he will sort any car out and hes honest which is important. http://www.dpavolvo.co.uk/

uzyg

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah I have been to DPA for a few things, most noticebly a new turbo...but he didnt seem too enthusiastic about this locking wheel nut...

So I guess its a case of running around trying to find someone who knows what they are doing and wont charge a fortune or ask me to book it in for a whole day.

Trem

Honestly mate all you need is someone with an arc welder, maybe even someone who makes gates/railings etc or have a look in Yellow Pages and find a mobile welder, I found a few but then got told about a local garage when I went to Kwik Fit.

When you do find somewhere be sure to get all of them taken out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom