Llame Hardware Q :)

D

danger

Right I'm about to stick together a new comp... but it's kinda my first time (lol please take it slow!)... neway the prob is I'm thinking about purchasing an Abit KX7 board (to use with anthlon XP2000) it says it supports DDR ram but that stuffs so f'ing expensive I'd rather just stick my 512mb PC133 SDRAM chip in it... was just wondering if that board will support ye olde SDRAM etc ? :)

cheers d00ds :)

-Stace

T

tris-

Originally posted by Roadkill_Stacy
Right I'm about to stick together a new comp... but it's kinda my first time (lol please take it slow!)... neway the prob is I'm thinking about purchasing an Abit KX7 board (to use with anthlon XP2000) it says it supports DDR ram but that stuffs so f'ing expensive I'd rather just stick my 512mb PC133 SDRAM chip in it... was just wondering if that board will support ye olde SDRAM etc ? :)

cheers d00ds :)

-Stace

some boards come with slots that can fit an SDRAM and a DDR stick in, but some dont, so you will have to check if your board has both types of slots on.

edit: just looked at your board and it doesnt. you could try sell the ram to someone and then you will have more money to put towards a new DDR stick.

S

S-Gray

Yeah.. Memory Prices are always goin up and down... mostly up and up, but sometimes you maybe lucky and find a Site which is havin a "Sale".. and you may get it half price

T

tris-

Originally posted by Super_Gray[SG]
Yeah.. Memory Prices are always goin up and down... mostly up and up, but sometimes you maybe lucky and find a Site which is havin a "Sale".. and you may get it half price

a few months ago it went all the way down and i picked up 256mb SDRAM for near on 20 quid, branded too.

D

danger

Cheers guys... bummer..... what's the scoop on this DDR Ram neway... is it like that much faster... will i actually notice much of a difference ? being as i can afford probs 128mb of DDR at most surely 512mb of SDRAM is better than 128 DDR ?!

H

Happy Go Lucky

Funny I've just bought that exact m/b ..

• Abit KX7 RAID
  • AMD XP1900+ (wanted the 2000+ but ocuk were out of stock)
  • Crucial 256MB DDR pc2700 RAM

I broke my old kt7a & duron coz I didn't know what I woz doing :eek:

Glad to have a decent pc :) hopefully to become even more decent when I buy a pair of ata133 drives,

geforce 4 or sommat to finish off, would be like the cherry on the cake.

the question is should I run my ram at 133fsb or 166 fsb ?

and i'm going to try and up my cpu fsb to 166, but I don't want to jump straight to it, but I feel increments of 1 is to cautious, ram shouldn't be limiting factor, and I expect at least 154fsb if I put the ddr voltage up, that was as far as I got with a msi k7t 266a pro2, xp1500+ & pc2100 ram before I got bored or more likely scared of the owner :D

L

legendario

If your getting a new processor (which you are) ONLY!! get DDR ram please.

Pc133 ram will cause serious bottlenecks with a processor as fast as the one you want.

you can get 512Mb of DDR from ebuyer for 83 quid.

You will notice a big performance difference (frame rate wise) with the faster ram.

I did anyway.

//edit

fuck...should've read the whole thread first :)

X

xane

You can always settle for 256MB now and get another stick later. I always get at least 2 sticks of RAM in case one fails, at least I can be running on 1/2 memory for a while rather than none at all, and there is not much difference between 2x 256MB and 1x 512MB anyways.

X

Xavier

actually there are benefits - and if you wait for nForce2 you'll get seperate discrete address ranges for paired DIMMs of the same capacities...

Didn't stop me hurling 1Gb of PC1066 RAMBUS in my rig tonight for a giggle...

not bad without any overclocks/tweaks :)

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4603951

D

danger

soz... notha llame q :) What's the diff between rambus and ddr ? is one better than the other ?

J

James-

Originally posted by Xavier
actually there are benefits - and if you wait for nForce2 you'll get seperate discrete address ranges for paired DIMMs of the same capacities...

Didn't stop me hurling 1Gb of PC1066 RAMBUS in my rig tonight for a giggle...

not bad without any overclocks/tweaks :)

http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4603951

/me foams at the mouth.

I'm gonna kill you! I'm gonna fucking kill you. You fucker! I'm gonna fucking kill you, you motherfucker!!!

*calm*

*deep breaths*

L

legendario

Originally posted by ^Danger
soz... notha llame q :) What's the diff between rambus and ddr ? is one better than the other ?

8 milllion pounds and yes

E

Embattle

Originally posted by ^Danger

Rambus has more bandwidth and DDR has lower latency but generally they're about the same in real world use.

H

Happy Go Lucky

As a general rule rambus is half the performance of equivalent ddr ram

for eg. rambus pc800/rim3200 is roughly the same as ddr pc400/ddr 3200.

£ for £ ddr is alot cheaper, but just like cpu market the more expensive rambus offers the fastest pc1066, sweet with the new p4's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom