Linux

• Thread starter Testin da Cable
  • Start date
T

Testin da Cable

No Linux thread in the OS forum?
Can't have that now can we.

Anyone get UT running wiv DRI/XF4.x 2.4.x kernel?
Do tell...

-tdc

G

OMG..the penguin lovers have managed to sneak in!

T

Testin da Cable

hahaha better a penguin lover than a micro$lave

:):):)

-tdc

E

Embattle

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
hahaha better a penguin lover than a micro$lave

:):):)

-tdc

Better something you can actually use instead of just wishing about :rolleyes:

T

Testin da Cable

coo Flatus. say, do you really run stuff on big-iron?

-tdc

O

old.Reverend Flatus

'Scuse my ignorance but what is "big-iron"?, new one on me!

If you mean Linux, then ho yus! I have two machines running RedHat, one set up as a firewall/gateway and the other as a server for my lan.

T

Testin da Cable

ahh well, curious bloke that I am, I visited your site and read what you do. 'big-iron' is an oblique reference to mainframes [not my own quote] that I picked up somewhere. Think it was userfriendly.org but I'm not sure.

-tdc

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Aaaah, I see. Well I've not heard of that term for mainframes before. Yes, I work for a company with a global network including mainframes. Unfortunately we don't have any *nix boxes, it's all IBM and their (cough) wonderful operating system.

btw Embattle...is there any thread on this entire board that you haven't posted to? :)

G

>>btw Embattle...is there any thread on this entire board that you haven't posted to?

Just worked this out...

Embattle's been a member since July '99. Let's be charitable and say it was the end of July. That means he's been posting, with his current account, for 14 months. at 1469 posts (at the time of this message), that's an incredible 104 posts a month! (or about 3.5 a day!!!)

Emb...GET OUT MORE!!!

T

Testin da Cable

hehe good one SoWat :):)

Wow Rev'd. I also work for a company wiv large-scale networking. Them folks won't let me run Linux servers :( but are letting me move from Novell to *ix next year. Get to see all sorts/flavors :)

-tdc

E

Embattle

Originally posted by SoWat
>>btw Embattle...is there any thread on this entire board that you haven't posted to?

Just worked this out...

Embattle's been a member since July '99. Let's be charitable and say it was the end of July. That means he's been posting, with his current account, for 14 months. at 1469 posts (at the time of this message), that's an incredible 104 posts a month! (or about 3.5 a day!!!)

Emb...GET OUT MORE!!!

So it takes me all day to do just 3.5 posts?

T

Testin da Cable

seems so Emb.
just had a thought tho. as your on BW all the fscking time you should ask them to employ you.
then you could read the forums ALL DAY and get paid for it too.

just a thought.

-tdc

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Wow Rev'd. I also work for a company wiv large-scale networking. Them folks won't let me run Linux servers but are letting me move from Novell to *ix next year. Get to see all sorts/flavors

That's good. I wish we had *nix here, I have the perfect opportunity to change jobs right now as the powers that be have decided to out-source my department. :( I can't believe it. We support one of the most complicated environments in the financial sector and between us we have hundreds of years experience, but they think that they can just hire a company in to take over. I'm waiting with interest for the next disaster to strike our systems :)

Rant over.

On the bright side, it does mean I have the chance to move into something new.

A

Atomic Rammer

Ive got q2 to run using Xfree 3.3.6 and Q3demo to run using Xf 4.0.1 with a 3dfx v3 2000 in dri

iirc UT and q2 need an older (non-dri supported) version of mesa to run so wont work on Xfree 4.x.x
Dont know too much about all this graphics stuff tho so I might be wrong.

T

Testin da Cable

Gah. It sucks when things like that happen Reverend. Sometimes the powers seem to make major moves like that by flipping a coin twice after leaving the pup totally inibriated. [pardon my french, it's worse than my english]

Something likewise is being forced on my dept. as in 'research novell' has to transfer to 'production novell'.
Only the prod ppl have 0 experiance and will have to go by the books [we made for em] till they're as skilled as we are. Same effect as stepping back in time 5 years.

Anyway for what it's worth I'd go for something new. My arg's thus: once you've done something for a period of time you have to be carefull you don't trap yourself by becoming too skilled, leaving no room to grow [wow lookit me, sounding like my boss heh] By opting for a new platform [or whatever] you get to do new fun stuff with new ppl AND have the advantage of already having l33t skilz doing something else that you could re-apply to the new work. [gasp]

:) gonna rest now, racking my brain for something positive that had little or no insane hatred/distrust of upper management [they're all mad i tellz ya!] has worn me out. hehe:):)

-tdc

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by SYDEEREAL
Ive got q2 to run using Xfree 3.3.6 and Q3demo to run using Xf 4.0.1 with a 3dfx v3 2000 in dri

coo m8. I got Q3demo and UTdemo/full to run perfectly with my v3-3000 on a non-dri system likewise. Prob was, after I got a gForce they would no longer work with or without the proper modules :( Anyway before I could really get to work on it I had to do some stuff that required me to take linux off my system alltogether. I am going to reinstall soon tho :)

-tdc

O

old.Reverend Flatus

Yus, it sucks big time and they ARE all mad!

Anyroadup, back to the serious stuff...

I haven't bothered trying to get games to run on my machines because I don't use a GUI just the good old-fashioned CLI. I do however run dedicated servers...Q2, Kingpin, Half-life - no problem. UT and Q3 though, aaaarrrrgggghhhh still struggling with them.

T

Testin da Cable

I havn't been big in the dedicated server thing lately. I used to run HalfLife servers for some m8's langames on RedHat5 systems.
I found that a p133/32Mb would run a server just fine :) making me fall [back] in love with so called 'older' hardware. You know, the stuff that makes your computer-room fill up in no time hehe. Had to clear most of it out tho as my S.O. started to pressure me :)

As to dedicated servers I'm fantasizing about getting ADSL. I'm on cable right now and the upstream totally sucks and the Dutch ppl providing the ADSL-service promise 256Kbit/up and 1024/down :):):)YUMMY
Anyhoo, if I go for that I'll start running Linux-based dedicated boxes again [woohoo] cos with the large stream ppl could actually use them along with http and ftp services.

-tdc

B

bids

I had a dedicated Q3 server running on NT, and then changed it to Mandrake 7. The Linux dedicated pisses all over the NT one, both in performance and stability :)

This is on a PIII 600 with 256 Mb RAM - it's also running Oracle 8i, Apache and DHCP server !

Linux rocks as a server (crap as a workstation).

E

Embattle

Yeah another bunch of servers which seem a little pointless :)

T

Testin da Cable

gawd Emb. Try to be positive m8. Also try to be able to back up your words if ppl question your statments.

-tdc

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by bids
Linux rocks as a server (crap as a workstation).

Wow bids, you've got some serious apps running on your box! I have to say tho, that I both agree and disagree with the crappy ws thingy. :)

Sure Linux kicks butt as a server but I'd put my RedHat workstation setup up against any MS or SGI box without ph33r. I'll admit it DID take me a while to assemble the tools I thought I'd need and it took me even longer to work out what packages I _wouldn't_.

But once I had it sorted: easypeasy :):)

-tdc

B

bids

Yeah - with all these running and it still runs smooth and stable. NT4 would fall over within an hour with all that running ! (Although first impressions of W2K server are pretty good. )

Linux as a workstation - hmmm

If you can get the hardware drivers to work properly, then no probs (if you can find 'em too !).
StarOffice is as good as Office for everyday use, and plenty of browsers/e-mail clients to use. Problem is in a work environment its piss easy to set up an NT workstation on a network, net, e-mail, etc. Linux WS would take twice as long, and once the users get hold - nightmare !

With W2K Pro looking so good, don't think Linux will get much into desktops.

OK for geeks like us though ;)

E

Embattle

Originally posted by testin_da_cable
Also try to be able to back up your words if ppl question your statments.

How could I back it up before now if this is the first time I've come back.

Hmmm loads of people say they are going to have a server when they get ADSL, my simple point is why?

T

Testin da Cable

ah well if I jumped the gun on you Emb then sorry, my bad.

as to running servers. well why not? if I can help out my m8's and have fun with it then why shouldn't I use the bandwidth that I pay thru the nose for?

look at it this way: I have the know-how and resources and I regard it as fun. :)

-tdc

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom