Linux HTML editors

F

FatBusinessman

I had originally written this with a huge backstory to it, but I decided not to bore you with it and get straight to my question, which is this:

I currently use HTML-Kit for all my HTML-writing needs, for which it more than suffices. However, I'm planning to use Linux as my development platform of choice. Can anyone suggest any Linux software which will perform the following:
  • HTML syntax highlighting
  • Line numbering
...and preferably run under the X-windows system rather than in a command prompt.

Edit: oh, and PHP would be nice too, k pls thx :)

L

lovedaddy

Vim (and xVim) are both very good editors, supporting syntax highlighting for both PHP and HTML (along with just about every other language you can imagine - christ, vim has syntax highlighting for Quake3 config files installed by default =)

However, PHP debugging aint easy. Vim aint an IDE and to that extent, you'll need to reconfigure (well, recompile in most cases) your Apache web server and PHP module to support phpdbg - http://dd.cron.ru/dbg/. (thats the PHP debugging server).

Ontop of that, you'll need a frontend to phpdbg, something like ddd.

The debugger is a PAIN to setup (I actually gave up trying to do remote debugging and built a machine to work on). The other solution is a printf for just about every variable (that does get old quickly).

The sad things is, despite the fact that PHP, Apache and the likes are all free services, PHP development is less than perfect under linux. Win32 IDEs are, imho, way ahead, PHPed being the best I tried.

Got to be careful here, I'm about to go on a rant about how X need scrapping and starting a fresh with a better MFC-a-like toolkit.

N

Nylex

Emacs does HTML syntax highlighting I think. I'm certain it does PHP syntax highlighting. Line numbers are displayed at the bottom, rather than at the side of each line.

T

Testin da Cable

you can turn line numbers on in Vi(m) by going into command mode and typing set number and pressing enter. highlighting (taken from the vim faq) goes thusly: By default, the Vim syntax highlighting is turned off. To enable the syntax
highlighting, you can use one of the following commands:
:syntax enable or :syntax on. To disable the syntax highlighting, you can use the following command: :syntax off. yay! tdc rocks :D

T

Testin da Cable

having a look at this yesterday I noticed some things:

-writing a html file from scratch with highlighting on doesn't work (for me) until you refresh the file (or save and reopen it, or whatever you kknow what I mean). they do mention this in the faq and vim help though.

-you can write/change/mod the syntax files that are used as a base for the highlighting. this means that you can configure them to very precise parameters if you're so inclined.

-you can automagically turn numbering, highlighting and suchlike on by setting certain flags in your .vim configuration. it's all in the faq and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom