Likes and Dislikes

Delania

Loyal Freddie
I disliked the pad in DAoC for RvR because I like to be active all the time i am at my computer playing, hated the queues in WoW, when my server had queues for BG's, wasn't enough time to do anything but hang around and hope the estimated queue time was wrong or more people joined the queue so a new instance would open up.

Prefer DAoC's RvR to WoWs PvP. Arenas sounded promising in theory was a let down. I would of been better in my prospective if it was 3 or five groups fighting it out over a larger terrain. There should be stuff for soloers, duo's groups and zergs, something to suit everyone.

I don't expect any game to be absolutely perfect and to suit my needs to a 'T' If there is any way of getting rid of queues of any sort, like just missing port and waiting 10 minutes till next or having to wait for a slow coach who missed a port, I would prefer that.

If there must be queues make them less than 5 minutes or set times for instances to run, eg every 15 minutes from the start of the hour. Was annoying with an estimated time for queue in WoW, someone every so often thinks, I have enough time to go toilet or make a drink and you become one man down in the arena. If not enough people to make it 'Fair' then it should roll over to next time slot and players waiting warned before hand.

I don't like too much loading screens either, the one thing that made me stay playing WoW closed beta when all my friends was still in DAoC was i had less time wasted loading up. In DAoC it seemed to every time I wanted to move i needed to load up.

I loved DAoC's Alliance channel so two or more guild can work together, This helps the smaller guilds and casuals guild work together to do things they would not normal do. I prefer WoW's chat overall.

I would like a /anon setting. Have missed that since my Diablio days.

I love emotes the more the better. I know they are more for Role playing but they can add an extra dimension to the game and are handy if you want to thank someone and its not appropriate to say in guild, group or raid.

I liked the /Stick setting in DAoC only because i'm getting slower now in my reaction times and its harder for me to keep up with some 16 year old who can bash 10 more keys per minute than me.

Also can we have a list of servers before release day, in WoW I have too many friends spread over lots of servers. It will also mean there wont be before hand, for for 1st server in list or last one making those servers over crowded and the middle ones empty.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Maybe you should put some of your questions/thoughts in the Thread for Damini to bring up.

As for the waiting time in DAOC before RvR, this was something I found good, it meant there was a punishment for dying. It also meant that it was worth finding a group to increase your lifespan. Nowadays people find it easier to just run out solo because there is no punishment for being shit :p

DAOC has turned itself into a single player game where friends are not really necessary. I miss the days when people were helpful and chatty and you could find a group and die a few times without people going berserk.

Poag

m00?
As has been stated many many times.

Arenas will exist ALONGSIDE open ground warfare.

open ground being what DAoC has, with objectives rather than keeps, there was a podcast about this.

Also Mythic/GOA cannot say "this instance will start exactly at 9:56, because tis simply impossible to know how many people are going to sign up, leave, re queue, log off, go dungeon raiding or afk and miss the invite.

However they have followed the Blizz route of merging server queues together to shorten the overall wait time.

I do however hope that they implement PvP instance on a non server bias.

Currently in wow one realm becomes the "host" for the arena battle. If that server is overloaded then PvP instances suffer..i'm sure we have all seen this on really busy days. Thus i hope they balance the instances between servers, opposed to who the host is.

Anyway, I do agree that arenas are quite sad instances when compared to the open ground rvr of daoc...pretty sure i've told my guild that a fair few times ;)
But I am sure Mythic will not ditch there perfect formula for open ground rvr that they have in daoc.

Delania

Loyal Freddie
It was not a list of questions to put forward as you can find out the answers if you look hard enough for most of things i have talked about.

When I copied and pasted from word to forum I missed out the crucial line, "What are your likes and dislikes compared to other games"? :mad:

Jarakin

One of Freddy's beloved
DAoC's Style cancelling vs. WoW's brainless mind-numbing button-mashing.

Style cancelling, style-chains and positionals were the best things about DAoC's combat system, it added a level of complexity and required a level of experience and skill to allow you to improve. Styles had to be timed correctly, you had to position yourself effectively and most of all, this made you need to think about what you were doing while in combat.

This is sadly lacking in WoW. DAoC required skill at "end-game" to be the top of the game, which didn't necessarily equate to hours played, but certainly helped. On the other hand WoW requires the acquisition of high-end items to compete, which certainly does equate to hours played, skill, although still evident, plays a minor part compared to gear here.

Although through different means, these both cause separation of the casual gamer from powergamer. I for one prefer the concept of natural selection to he-who-has-more-time-to-spend-wins. I honestly hope WAR follows DAoC's lead on this one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom