News Lighter Later Campaign

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
So a normal day would be(not exact numbers);

Both following examples are in the same time line, with the latter showing where people would be after switch.

Now;

Person is awake from 7am to 10pm, with 8am to 6pm of light.

After the switch;

PErson is awake from 8am to 11pm, with 9am to 7pm light.

Wouldn't the hour of "useless power use" just be moved?

Or is this campaign suggesting that brits keep moving clocks all around the year, once every month, and thus f*ck up their whole system towards the rest of the world?

Someone explain this thing to me because it seems like there's no point. There's a set amount of sunset in the day, no matter what you do with the clock and that time sun shines is (in regular work hours) always during waking period.

EDIT: Jsut talked about it and i have to ask, aren't you lot using daylights savings time? If not then this could be that and yes, time to get with the program :D

If you are using daylights saving, see above post.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
We do yes, it changed this weekend just gone.

I am all for a 2 hour change rather than 1. It would still be light in the morning, around 7ish yet it would get dark later in the evening.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We do yes, it changed this weekend just gone.

I am all for a 2 hour change rather than 1. It would still be light in the morning, around 7ish yet it would get dark later in the evening.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Thing is though, and do correct me if i'm wrong, the amount of awake time won't change and if you remove dark time from your morning, you move it to later in the day.

The sunlight is constant afterall.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well in the summer its light before we get up, usually 5am ish (i think) and starts getting dark at 9.30pm ish with a 2 hour change it would get light at 6am and dark at 10.30pm

There would be little need for lighting in the summer, it would keep the global warming nutcases happy and save a few quid in electricity.

Just found this for 2009

Sunrise and Sunset for U.K. – England – London – June 2009

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well in the summer its light before we get up, usually 5am ish (i think) and starts getting dark at 9.30pm ish with a 2 hour change it would get light at 6am and dark at 10.30pm

There would be little need for lighting in the summer, it would keep the global warming nutcases happy and save a few quid in electricity.

Just found this for 2009

Sunrise and Sunset for U.K. – England – London – June 2009

Ah yeah, this means that they change the daylights saving more accordingly to the sun, instead of the conventional 1h. Now it makes more sense. Thanks.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Only problem is that that change tends to be biased towards the south (eg. London vs Aberdeen), I'd personally like to see it tried anyway. The annoying thing is that it only becomes an issue twice a year - whenever we change the clocks.

It would probably benefit the majority of the country. For those areas where it doesn't benefit them they should just get up an hour later during the winter when it's a problem.

Jiggs

Can't get enough of FH
Load of bollocks.

Just pick BST or GMT and STICK with it. In fact if you founded a political party with one sole pledge in it's manifesto to stick with BST or GMT I'd vote for you.

Yes, I hate daylight savings. :kissit:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Fucking shit idea. What's wrong with it getting dark on an evening ? Why would you want dark mornings instead ? Stick with GMT all year for me.

Fast

Part of the furniture
Signed. Sick of walking the dog in the dark after work.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Scotland should just have their own fucking time zone so we're not all held back in the dark ages.

gohan

FH is my second home
im in.

not because i agree or disagree

but becuase we got a mention and im easily bought

3,500 brighter tonight

Today we unleashed the awesome power of 10:10s mailing list. In short, the response has blown us away. In under 9 hours we’ve added a stonking 3,500 new supporters to the call for Lighter Evenings. Tuesday has also seen an incredible array of new organisations flying the flag from the RAC to Horticulture Weekly to the late night crowd over at the Dark Age of Camelot forum.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
omg we are famous

now if this takes off, we can take some credit :p

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol late night crowd...they didn't factor me in that one did they.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Love the fact that there is a link straight to this thread so they can read: -

Bloodomen - I dont, i'm a miserable fucker

Jiggs - Load of bollocks

Wij - Fucking shit idea......

LOL

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Oh come on, we have to abuse this fact. What kind of direction shall we take this thread in?

Zede

Part of the furniture
light up the sky like a flame.....FAME

br1te

Loyal Freddie
have to say i fully agree with this.... the old scottish farmers reason is so outdated its rediculous, why should 5 countrys suffer because a few farmers cant deal with using lights for an hour in the morning. The clocks should never go back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom