Lighter Later Campaign

Zede

Part of the furniture
10:10 Lighter Later: what a difference an hour makes...

dont normally post here, but we have a mention.

Thanks to Gohan for spotting on the webbie -

3,500 brighter tonight

Today we unleashed the awesome power of 10:10s mailing list. In short, the response has blown us away. In under 9 hours we’ve added a stonking 3,500 new supporters to the call for Lighter Evenings. Tuesday has also seen an incredible array of new organisations flying the flag from the RAC to Horticulture Weekly to the late night crowd over at the Dark Age of Camelot forum.

rynnor

Rockhound
Personally this would mean I get up n drive in the dark for an extra few months a year so I'm against it.

Id think extra months of darkness in the morning when people are still waking up is more dangerous that it getting dark a bit early.

Edit - if you really want lighter evenings get a load of super powerfull tugs and tow the uk south...

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I thought it was a good idea at first, but thinking about it. I need daylight to wake up and function properly. Having it darker in the morning is not going to benefit me at all, it will just mean I will be extra lazy in the morning.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Wouldn't it be easier just to work during the lighter hours and not change the clocks at all ?

rynnor

Rockhound
Wouldn't it be easier just to work during the lighter hours and not change the clocks at all ?

Erm - no? This isnt going to change the length of daylight so you cannot actually gain.

In the winter at the worst part im driving in and driving home in the dark - at least with winter settings it eventually gets to a point where I can actually get up in some light.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
How does changing the clocks change the length of daylight rynnor?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Erm - no? This isnt going to change the length of daylight so you cannot actually gain.

In the winter at the worst part im driving in and driving home in the dark - at least with winter settings it eventually gets to a point where I can actually get up in some light.

If I'm asleep in the morning when it's light in winter then I "Miss" more daylight than if we don't change clocks and I get more sunlight in the evenings.

I hope they change it back ^^ No need for us to change clocks at all.

rynnor

Rockhound
How does changing the clocks change the length of daylight rynnor?

It doesnt that was my point? Was my comment before interpretable the other way if so its not what I meant :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Xane was suggesting that rather than change the clocks, people simply change the hours in which they work. The end result is the same.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Eat least with winter settings it eventually gets to a point where I can actually get up in some light.

Get up at a different time, then ?

I can accept darkness has a problem for some people, they can't screw in light bulbs when they just stand there and expect the world to revolve around them.

rynnor

Rockhound
Get up at a different time, then ?

I can accept darkness has a problem for some people, they can't screw in light bulbs when they just stand there and expect the world to revolve around them.

Why should the hard-working folk who get up early be put at risk for the feckless slackers who lay abed?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Why should the hard-working folk who get up early be put at risk for the feckless slackers who lay abed?

Why should the entire country's timekeeping be altered by a small number of self-centred who can't rearrange their day ?

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Why should the entire country's timekeeping be altered by a small number of self-centred who can't rearrange their day ?

How many people can really rearrange their day? If you're talking about getting up earlier and doing something else, then that's easy enough - but changing things with a fairly strict structure (work, school) isn't so easy.

What's the first thought when people have to close their curtains an hour later at night when BST arrives? It's certainly not "Wow! I could get the same benefit if I woke up earlier in the summer!".

By that argument we should just use GMT all year round - it just wouldn't work because we're slaves to things happening at the exact same time of the day throughout the year. It's easier to change the clocks, even though we do moan a bit when we lose an hour of sleep.

Tom

I am a FH squatter

I'm fairly certain that at least for school children, statistically more of them are injured or killed in the winter during the evenings, when they're most tired.

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm fairly certain that at least for school children, statistically more of them are injured or killed in the winter during the evenings, when they're most tired.

Isnt that just because the rest of the day they are in school so statistically safe but after school youd expect injuries to spike as they wandered the streets - this proposal wont change that.

rynnor

Rockhound

Its called paid employment - they tend to want you in at certain times and alas I do not work down the road so its not actually possible to change.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Isnt that just because the rest of the day they are in school so statistically safe but after school youd expect injuries to spike as they wandered the streets - this proposal wont change that.

No, its because like everybody else they're tired when they leave school/work.

rynnor

Rockhound
No, its because like everybody else they're tired when they leave school/work.

How can you prove that from bare statistics? I think my point that they are safe stuck in school is a lot more likely than your supposition that this is due to tiredness.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Makes no difference to me, whether it's dark or not in the morning, I actually prefer driving in the dark.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
How can you prove that from bare statistics? I think my point that they are safe stuck in school is a lot more likely than your supposition that this is due to tiredness.

If that were the case then children would be just as likely to be involved in a traffic accident in the morning, as they are in the evening.

I don't have the facts to hand but I remember a very interesting discussion on R4 some years ago about this very thing, and the statistics bod was quite clear that most accidents happen when people are most tired—and that is in the evening.

Scratch that, a random search found page 4 of this rather interesting:

http://www.theaa.com/public_affairs/reports/facts_about_road_accidents_and_children.pdf

rynnor

Rockhound
If that were the case then children would be just as likely to be involved in a traffic accident in the morning, as they are in the evening.

Not really because kids generally just get up in time to get to school so go there direct but after school they are more likely to wander about and get run over.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
This would basically mean us joining CET, so I say no on principle. We invented GMT, so stuff the french. :england:

On non-jingoistic grounds midday should be midday, and this is just a stupid idea for many of the reasons already stated.

Tilda

Only reason we appear to have got a mention is because of a thread Zede posted in FHOT saying "sign up here".

ECA

I am a FH squatter
This would basically mean us joining CET, so I say no on principle. We invented GMT, so stuff the french. :england:

On non-jingoistic grounds midday should be midday, and this is just a stupid idea for many of the reasons already stated.

It would mean we'd be on GMT all year round! Take that frogs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom