/level - game killer?

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Interesting perspective, bluegeezer (and welcome to the game :)). I suspect that most people who have a problem with pre-20 are not new players like yourself but experienced players who haven't yet got a 50.

Personally, I never minded the early levels much (I found 20-50 to be harder). 1-5 can be done in an hour if you can spec in your main line from the start and between 1.5 to 2 hours if you can't. 5-10 are easy kill-task levels. 10 - 20 I reckon you're best off in a small group of 2-4, but you can kill task.

I'd actually avoid full groups in the low levels because you don't generally have the crowd control to handle 3-4 mobs at a time (20 seconds of mez/root :() and small level differences can make a large impact on chance to hit. Full groups at low levels often mean lots of deaths and frustrating progress because of this.

The two changes I'd make would be to allow you to choose your class from the start rather than make you wait until 5, and to make it so that all base class trainers can teach all spec lines (though you only get shown those appropriate for your class). This would make it easier for everyone to find a trainer.

And /advice is great, btw. You might even get a chance to talk to me :)

R

Repent Reloaded

Originally posted by pinguish
Okay i'm stealing myself to be flamed here. but as a new guy to DAOC i think it should be mentioned.

since the /level command finding groups has been nigh on impossible for those of us who don't have a level 50 char (and are below 20).
BG0 is like a morgue (though i hear bg1 is very busy).
the level command is not going to fill 'unpopular' servers i still can't see the logic..its a short term fix..to get more peopel playign you need more players..
all the level command has done is make it harder for the new guys. (although getting some great camp bonuses lately :D )
where we used to get 'veterans' grouping and offering advise they all making thier wizzy 20 (and now 30) level chars and us new guys are left floundering.
net result as a % of the new peopel more decide its a naff game cus there is no social atmosphere below say level 15.
the BG's are described as 'places to hone you skills ready for RvR.
this itself is now a nightmare..BG0 is a waste of time (in nearly 4 hours i still haven't seen anyone from a different realm). and bg1 is full of well experienced players with buffbots and tweaks and specs not restricted by having to build a char to get to 20...they are designed in many cases FOR the BG's.
i notice a lot of people complain of lack of 3rd UK server (to be honest it doesn't overly worry me- YET). from what i see it will NEVER happen..the new changes are not newbie friendly at all.
IF GOA REALLY want to get people on the underpopulated servers they should allow the newbie the chance to jump to say level 10/15 there (make it a welcome screen on REG of disc SELL that SERVER/REALM Combi to the new guy!)..(come on what do you learn up till level 5 apart from the basics of the game mechanics anway).characters start to come alive at 10/15, for some people without the game players 'veterans' support its a killer period and won't attract new players at all. Apologies for repeating myself so much and hope this post makes sense?

u dont group till ur L20 anyway. just kill task.

P

pez

Originally posted by bluegeezer

anyway i wouldnt say the /level command is a bad thing... you say it removes the veterans and so cant help you build on the game but i would say it removes the pressure of trying to keep up with a veteran grouping with you and this way you know most of the ppl you group with will be in the same situation as you!!!

thats key i think, the amount of times i have spent 20 minutes teaching a pally in grp to twist and guard or explaining pbaoe to lvl 7s. I mean i was doing them a favour sure but i expect if you asked everyone of them on a pm they would say, 'what a twat i would rather find that out for myself'

oh and on the point of meaning less people join the game i think it also stops more people leaving. I mean imagine the pain and humiliation of knowing you just spent 20 days played and almost a year (as a friend of mine did) to get to 50 and you chose a paladin at creation...

atleast this way they are more likely to roll a merc to 20 and level him than just outright quit after slamming a savage for the millionth time.

E

Edaudric

In my opinion, /level should just take you to Level 5. Maybe 10.

the most boring parts about making a new character is getting him or her to 5.
It's always discouraging.

Also, killtasks aren't worth it. Maybe for the coin, but not the experience.
At level 19 I get 0.8 per killtask, which usually send me 2 kilometers into the woods.
In 10 minutes of I could've gotten alot more.

Tasks is for nothing but money in my humble opinion. The experience is just a bonus.

T

tonita

Gifv /level 50 to ppl with more then lets say 4-5 lvl 50 already! ><

O

old.Tohtori

[Video] killed the [Radio Star] and [/level] killed [Abermenai]

S

sundra

Well im glad we got the level command very tedious when its ur 100th time of doing kill tasks :p
on a more serious note i too think that its not the level command but lack of new players.I live near a big city in the UK and DAOC has not been available in any of the retailers,to buy it i would have to buy it from amazon or somewhere like that.GOA are hardly pushing the boat out on selling their product !How are we gonna get new blood when people dont even know the game exists ! Pull ur finger out GOA and spend some dosh on selling ur product.

K

Khalen

Give money to the new guys :) But yeah indeed the low lvl spots are abandoned. The only thing where new people can learn from is the starting guild they in. And luckily some people stay in it and help the new guys a bit. Almost every time when I see a new player I've given them some gold to keep going :) People should do that more it's quite funny :)

T

The Real Redi

heh! took poor Redi best part of 19 months and 50 days played to get the five-oh - ray! i get to /level!

tried camlann... sucks :rolleyes:

Excalibur is fun now, but initially after creating a new character, Vendo is full to bursting with people levelling alts for Thid (it's right near Svasud, so easy loot selling and transport). Then add to that fact that at level 20, your looking at a cost of over 35g for a full set of even chain armour... takes a while to build that up at that age!

So, basically, i have just started another alt, but i'm not using the /level command <shrugs> true the first 5 levels suck more than Flesh, but it only took like 20 minutes, so i'll get over it.

If they had the /Level command allow the prefix of a number up to 20, then that would improve a lot. Then we could choose to /level 15, or /level 7, if you wanted too... To start tightening the belt on BB bot users, maybe not allow /level on a second account?

Oh, hang on, that'd mean less gold plated biscuits and leather bound teabags in the Mythic offices, wouldn't it... :rolleyes:

C

cleeve

I feel for new players now -

The first bg is dead - thats what I miss - not being able to rvr in bg0. Level 1-15 is a piece of piss - but not gettig bg0 feels like a cheat - its where people can learn their first rvr without being wtfpwned by buffbotted /level chars ;)

I agree - really new players probably won't miss the bg0, nor will they miss the stuff that non level 50 experienced players get - cos they don't know wot they are missing. I just think its a shame that people have to wait for level 20 for the game to open up for them.

I do think that goa have really missed out on this freebie thing. 21 days trial then you try and buy a game that isn't stocked in any high street stores, can't be ordered by them, isn't on their website and is only available via amazon market place.

It simply doesn't work. Why not just sell a new cdkey via the subscription page at £15 and include another free months play on that. Seriously - whats the point in offering a trial for a game thats almost impossible to buy and then wiping chars? How many people will bother to hunt the game down?

I really think its a missed opportunity - and that is sad because I still enjoy this game and think that it has alot to offer, even with all of the current imbalances and issues. At the end of the day - without new players to feed the servers - the population will dwindle as people move on and the game will atrophy, I think the free trial would have been an excellent way to bump the numbers backup

C

N

Naewae

If chars are wiped after the trial I can see there being a lot of pissed off newcomers.

Can you imagine 2 months (?) of levelling down the pan - I'd rather not.

T

thegreatest

Originally posted by old.Tohtori
What i really hate about the level command is that when i go to my trainer, popup the trainlist and some monkey comes along and suddenly the screen is filled with a 15 second technodiscoflare and my comp takes his hat and goes to buy some coffee in the meanwhile. The lag of an ongoing leveleffect is phenomanamble.

turn spell effects on 'self' when you go training ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom