/level command

suelothvar

Fledgling Freddie
pole was taken on US servers though you might like see results, wonder if GoA will do same?

From Grab Bag

Q: What was the result of the poll on /level?

A: The results of the poll on /level 20 are in. Before I get to that, let me explain that from our perspective, /level has not been entirely good for the game. What was meant as a nice reward for those who worked hard to get to fifty turned into something frustrating for true new players and our low level game. We certainly predicted some impact, but not this much! So, for some time now, we’ve been contemplating the total removal of this benefit from the game.

However, /level is incredibly popular. The poll results were overwhelmingly in favor of keeping /level, and those who took the time to write feedback forms on the subject were almost unanimously in favor of keeping this benefit for those who reached level fifty. We were also uncomfortable with removing any two year old bonus, and the feedback just reinforced that discomfort.

Therefore, we are going to try to compromise. Here’s the plan: We are not going to remove it as it is. By that, I mean we will leave it on the servers that already have it, and with the classes that already have it. But we won’t add it to the classic servers, and we won’t add it to the Catacombs classes. (I know I said Catacombs classes would get /level eventually, but to be frank I should not have said so without a firm date in hand. That was my error, and I apologize.)

Players who have reached fifty and wish to roll a Catacombs class on regular servers will start getting a fat experience bonus from 1-20 beginning in 1.80 (currently scheduled for October 11). Details will come with the patch notes, so stay tuned.

And of course, we’re discussing other veteran rewards for our player base – we’ve had many wonderful suggestions from the community.

We appreciate all the feedback; it really helped us to make this decision.

Wai

Fledgling Freddie
as much as i love the level command i do have to agree it is scaring off new players. Imo it shouldn't have been put to a vote and just removed... not that it would make much difference as some players will still just plvl, but some will lvl the old way and hopefully encourage grps again.

I recently rolled a vampiir just to see what its like, managed to get a few grps with randoms for the goal of xp... smth i have not done for a year or 2 tbh (and plvl gps are not ncluded in this), but putting the huge fat xp bonus on the catacombs chars now to lvl is near enough as good as lvl20 and again new players won't keep up and won't get grps again i think will be the outcome.

As i said I do love the lvl20 command, i often flood my accs with 20's to try new classes for a day and see what they'll be like with xxx spec, but i think for the future of the game should be removed :E

SoulFly

Can't get enough of FH
it sucks.

has completely ruined the game from the start really. there's nothing going on around the lowbie zones and does scare new players yush. it doesn't take so long to get 20, but doing that alone is smelly. Also if people leveled stuff from lvl 1, they would actually enjoy the designed zones ;[ I'm talking about the old dungeons and such.

FAM87

Loyal Freddie
I use the /level command all the time when rolling new toons, but tbh, i wouldent mind if they removed it :wij:

Ivan

Fledgling Freddie
Dont really mind if they introduce /level 20 to players that have at least one level 20 character instead of level 50. New players will have to do 1-20 , possibly alone, have a look around newby zones etc, then they wont have to do it ever again.

Thorwyn

FH is my second home
So instead of /level 20, people will now just dissapead in the local instance taskdungeon and the omgwtf1337 players will still prefer to solo their instances because it´s faster than explaining a newbie how to get and hold aggro why overhealing is a bad idea.

And that´s supposed to help new players how exactly?

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
they're still keeping /level 20...

just instead of having catacombs classes as a small chance that someone will help new players they'll now outpace the newbies at a silly rate...

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Removing the level 20 and making all classes recieve a "fat" bonus would be the better way, Yup people will still do the solo instances, but there are times when grouping makes a nice break. Also seeing other players around your level may encourage more grouping.

LordjOX

Part of the furniture
Should make some fat exp bonuses and more exp rewarding quests/tasks from 1-20 tbh, as a new player the 1-20 grind is horrible.

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
LordjOX said:
as a new player the 1-20 grind is horrible.

Not for me when i started out.

was full of exploring , Running , making friends , learning about the game.
What "Taunt" ment .

Nowdays i usualy /lvl 20 any toon i can it was to be said.
but i would prefer it to be gotten rid of.

The new chars i've managed to lvl 2 of them
a vamp ( it's just silly , melee necro imo)
and a Heretic ( grp'd mostly with a reaver and cleric)
both are 40 + now, both fun to play and i have to say i have a better
understanding of going a particular spec from lvl'ing up.

Giv more Sp grps imo ;P

meerclar

Can't get enough of FH
i think they should not only remove the /level command but also make it impossible to pl.
make it that all members of a group have to be within 5 levels of each other and this might make people group for xp again.

Deepfat

Fledgling Freddie
/Agree entirely meerclar.

Ofc even with "big fat xp bonuses" any newb wanting to roll a support character is still shafted. No many pcac/mend healers, reg/nurt druids or rej/enhn clerics out there soloing instances. It's a mature game just give /level 20 to the noobs too and hope that more experienced players show some maturity too in explaining how to play....

Lestat

Fledgling Freddie
I think they shouldnt remove /level but make people work on keeping the /level comand. Dont know if its a stupid idea, but what about doing so you have to do 8mangrouping in 2hours a week to keep it? :p

Might help out the new ones, and the people who also love to pve like me.
[edit] Or give lvl20 to all, OR make new levelroof lvl 70! :D
Pl is the worst thing with daoc though, as someone said, at least 7/8lvl's...

Arabnisse

Fledgling Freddie
meerclar said:
i think they should not only remove the /level command but also make it impossible to pl.
make it that all members of a group have to be within 5 levels of each other and this might make people group for xp again.

wonderful words, fu-ing brought tears to me eyes

RS|Phil

Can't get enough of FH
Only time it's worth grping in DAoC anymore is if you've got a six pack of lager and your guild is logged into vent.

mikke

Can't get enough of FH
[SS]Gamblor said:
Not for me when i started out.

was full of exploring , Running , making friends , learning about the game.
What "Taunt" ment .

o_O when did you start out? if it was 2-4 years ago, then i totally agree! but if it was this year or so - shame on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom