letter from mythic

Q

quistis

I can't post to Barry's World boards - they're not taking new accounts.

I can't really post anyway, since I can't do anything to help you. I assume
you've given this feedback to GOA?

For what it's worth I certainly understand how frustrating it is; I'm just
the Herald person for the North American servers, though. I can assure you
I've passed on all these letters to the producers.

Sanya M. Thomas
Internet Relations Manager
Mythic Entertainment

My letter to mythic

On Saturday the 3rd January 2004 "excaliber server crashed" A lot of people
were in jamtland (mid) doing a relic raid at the time It was not until
Monday 5th of January 2004 that the server was restored. During that time
there was no response from Goa on the european web site
. We were all left wondering what was going on and
whether or not Goa knew anything about it. On Monday when the server came
back on line they posted this reply on the european web site incidently
this was the first communication we had with them .

"On Saturday evening we encountered some technical problems with Excalibur
and Avalon. We met the same problems on Stonehenge a few weeks ago, and to
prevent it from escalating the two servers were taken down on Saturday
evening."

A couple of points raised here

1. Why did it take Goa so long to commmunicate this to us
2. Why if the server was taken down was there people still active on the
server

this was all bought up on the unofficial forum barrys world

If you read some of the points on the excaliber part of the forum you will
understand the problems we are having.
We have tried contacting Goa but they either keep us in the dark or fob us
off with some excuse which is clearly been made up.

We are not interested in compensation all we want is a server which is
stable and doesnt crash when 400+ people decend on one zone which seemed was
the cas on saturday night.
This is meant to be a 24/7 game with round the clock support but it makes
you wonder that given the time GOA took to respond whether or not the
servers are monitore around the clock, especially on weekends.
A simple explanation when the server went down would have gone a long way
but there was no response for over 36 hours.
I know GOA are a third party company but we have tried to get answers off
them but with no luck. If you look at the above forum you will see that a
lot of people are very annoyed and a lot I feel will quit the game if
nothing is sorted.

I look forward to hearing from you

R

Ravenbourne

well its decent of her to reply, though i am not that sure mythic can really do too much as they have essentially given goa the rights to the game in europe.

F

Faeldawn

Originally posted by Ravenbourne
well its decent of her to reply, though i am not that mythic can really do too much as they have essentially given goa the rights to the game in europe.

This is the point that many seem to miss....Mythic have sold/contracted (whatever the deal is) the rights to GOA and as such are probably contractually bound to honour that agreement.

This essentially makes GOA unanswerable to anyone, including Mythic. Not knowing the exact contract i would guess that Mythic are powerless barring a severe incident. A 24 hour server shutdown ISNT that big-a-deal in this context, if we paid by the hour it might be.

GOA are a poor service provider imho btw, im not trying to vindicate them.

O

Oddorvard

This is the reply I got from Julie at Mythic:

I'm sorry for your frustration, unfortunately I can do little to nothing about anything to do with the Euro servers
If I can help with anything else tho, please don't hesitate to ask.

My original letter to Julie:
Hello Julie. I am a DAoC player from Europe. This weekend was a disaster for GOA, the European provider of DAoC.

With servers down for over 40 hours with absolutely no response from GOA, only to have them back up and running shortly after the start of French business hours, a lot of users are left extremely angry and dissatisfied. The estimated 6.000 users unable to play or receive any information or support from GOA have now risen up and expressed their discontent on the unofficial European server boards.

While I realize that Mythic does not usually comment on issues regarding European servers keep in mind that the software being used is from Mythic and Mythic is indeed in a partnership with GOA.

I would like to ask you to take a look at some of the threads posted on the Excalibur server boards during the last two days, which can be found at http://forums.game.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=166

Thank you and happy new year.

As I assumed Mythic won't do anything about the European servers which is understandable since they are, after all, the responsibility of GOA. However it should be clear by now that Mythic is aware of how we feel about GOA and their service.

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by Faeldawn

This essentially makes GOA unanswerable to anyone, including Mythic.

Players can still /cancel and take their money elswhere

S

shamyn

Originally posted by Oddorvard
This is the reply I got from Julie at Mythic:

My original letter to Julie:

As I assumed Mythic won't do anything about the European servers which is understandable since they are, after all, the responsibility of GOA. However it should be clear by now that Mythic is aware of how we feel about GOA and their service.

Originally posted by Sibanac
Players can still /cancel and take their money elswhere

Then why are we all still playing? Lets face it, most of us have too much time and money invested in this to just quit or move to the US servers, so there is little we can do. Crash french servers imo, and have GOA take all the whines in their own language, including phone calls, irl letters, irl visits to the office and ofc the threats of bombing their office :wall:

K

kirennia

I feel a bonedancer invasion coming on :D

T

Tyka

Originally posted by shamyn
Lets face it, most of us have too much time and money invested in this to just quit or move to the US servers, so there is little we can do.

Exactly, for some people, moving to US is not an option.

F

Falcon

Starting anew isn't that hard, IMO the only genuine reasons not to move to the US are:
1) Can't afford to buy the game again
2) Don't want to leave friends behind

The second one can be worked around if a group of friends move together. The first one I guess not much can be done sadly. It's honestly suprising how easy it is to level to 50 from scratch the second time around - I've done it once on Morgan Le Fay and half done it on Galahad - got to level 41 and have 2 plat (This took 3 weeks working around a 9 - 5, Mon - Fri job and not playing every day so it's not that hard). Keeping in touch with friends on the old server by MSN Messenger, ICQ and Forums, just a shame I can't get them all to join me ;)

I guess the biggest point however is that people shouldn't HAVE to start from scratch and I totally agree.

I know Mythic often screw up with game balance, but their communication with players is top notch, 24/7 support including Christmas day, longest wait time I've had on in-game support has been two hours with the average being around 5mins. The fact you ofen get a response if you mail the top bods like Sanya and Julie alone is excellent IMO.

F

Falcon

One point I totally forgot - remember that both Julie and Sanya have said here that they personally can't do anything, the fact Sanya passed along the feelings to the producer is slightly promising, who is the producer, Matt Firor? Is it worth contancting them directly?

S

shamyn

Originally posted by Falcon
who is the producer, Matt Firor? Is it worth contancting them directly?

Either him, (Matt Firror) or Mark Jacobs, president of mythic management team and also executive producer for DAOC. A personal airmailed letter might do something, as long as it's written well like svartmetalls one :)

F

Falcon

You need more than one person to make an impression though, I'd say either send multiple letters, or setup an online petition and include the URL to it on a letter - that's the ideal method, it's easier for everyone.

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by Falcon
r setup an online petition and include the URL to it on a letter - that's the ideal method, it's easier for everyone.

None will take an online petition serious, as you say its to easy to setup, to sign and to add fake signatures.

S

svartmetall

Yep.

Hard copy is the only real way to complain properly.

And PLEASE, keep letters to Mythic civil and polite - after all, it's GOA we're sick of, not Mythic.

F

Falcon

You wont get the numbers either with hard copy though that's the problem.

S

svartmetall

True, you won't get the numbers...but one hard-copy letter is worth 100 emails. Or more.

N

Naewae

Can someone put the snail mail address here? I've seen it before on BW but can't find it now.

I am quite willing to put an airmail stamp where my mouth is.

O

Oddorvard

Immediately following the second crash tonight I sent the below to Julie at Mythic:
Thank you kindly for your swift response Julie.

As I'm writing this the English speaking servers have crashed again and the player populace is going crazy on the server boards, as seen here: http://forums.game.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=166

All I ask is that producers or those responsible for granting GOA, the European service provider, a license to run DAoC in Europe take a look at what the users, who are also Mythic's customers, think of the service they're paying for.

Thank you
I received the following reply only a few minutes later:
I will definately make it aware.
So I've defenately managed to notify Mythic that we're experiencing extreme anger and disappointment towards GOA.

C

Celini

gj odd. will toss them a email myself so they know that there are a large number of angry goa customers....

H

Herohui

i'd join if someone gave me a template <--- poor at wording and usually f and blind

H

Herohui

Who are the people behind Dark Age of Camelot?

MattF (Matt Firor) Producer.

MahrinSkel (Dave Rickey) Economy Designer & World Builders.

Regis (CJ Grebb) Co-Art Director for DAoC.

MattK (Matt Kidder) Tool programmer.

Lori (Lori Silva) Game and world design, Beta test management, Customer Service and Staff management.

Copper (Copper) World Developer and Monster Design also the designer and keeper of the Experience Curve.

Travin (Maurice Nelson) Backstory Creation and Quest Development.

Raedin (Aryn Pennington) World Developers doing backstory, quests and content.

SideshowRahim (Brian Axelson) Server programmers and combat/PvP design.

Mark Jacobs president of Mythic

rdenton Rob Denton Vice President of Mythic

S

svartmetall

Originally posted by Oddorvard
Immediately following the second crash tonight I sent the below to Julie at Mythic:

I received the following reply only a few minutes later:

So I've defenately managed to notify Mythic that we're experiencing extreme anger and disappointment towards GOA.

Nice going Odd...I just got back from work and found it's down AGAIN.

I'm at a loss for words to express how fucking shit GOA are, this is so far beyond a joke it's unbelievable.

H

Herohui

thats the one hes on bout ithink m8

it went down then they put it back up within 30 mins and then bout 400 peeps clashed at hlid maybe few more and crashed again... still down.

Users who are viewing this thread