Let's talk treasure chests

Shikra

Fledgling Freddie
The new "treasure chests" introduced in LDON are a source of constant irritation to most people instead of being regarded as a new and really cool feature like they should be.

When you encounter a chest on an adventure a quick /inspect gives you a good idea of what kind of chest it is (mechanical, magical, spiritual) and then you can set about working on it... that part is fine.

While occassionally you will find chests that very easily open up when the right skills/spells are employed it seems that a significant fraction of them defy anyone's ability to open them. A chest on a high adventure last night was clearly not mechanical or cursed as those skills reported they knew nothing about the chest... so when trying the magical detection spell I cast and recast and recast the spell about 10 times (with a REALLY ANNOYING recast time on that thing) even setting off the trap twice and still couldn't tell if it was trapped or not. Eventually we just smashed the chest and ended up destroying whatever was inside because we'd already wasted nearly 5 mins on the thing in total.

Such frustration and such would be worth it perhaps if the chests themselves had a good reason to want to open them.... but more often than not the chests drop 1 5 plat vendor-bait item or maybe the exp you'd get from killing 2-3 mobs.... whoooppeeee. We did have one chest ONCE drop a Regen 2 chest-only augment that was kinda cool, but thats only one chest out of who knows how many we've run into since last week.

Then there are the chests at the end of raid. Last night, for example, we were very careful about checking the chests at the end for traps etc and after determining they werent trapped, but clearly locked, we tried to unlock them with mechanical, spirital and magical means to absolutely no avail... finally we jsut gave in and smashed them open.

There need to be some changes implemented with these darn objects:

1) Reduce the annoyance factor -- yeah okay its nice that the spells dont work 100% of the time since nothing is certain and that they want wizards and clerics to be better at chests than other casters.... but being stuck there for ages chain casting a spell is just insanely dull and frustrating. Remove the recast timer and jack up the manacost on the chest spells if you want. Why make a series of 3 chest spells and then max them out at 34? Move them suckers to low, medium, and high levels and then tack on a minimum-spell needed for a given chest type. :flame:

2) Make chests semi-consistent -- Yeah you might open a chest and find a booby prize once in a while, but why on earth would someone put utter shit into a box and then not only lock it and cast massive trap magical spells onto it if it only contains 3 platinum and some goblin bones??? People will go to great lengths to open these if they know somethng good is inside, right now the newness of them is wearing off and since the rewards stink from opening them... why bother? The raid chests seem to be intended to be smashed open, why? :flame:

3) Remove class-specific loot from the 6-man adventure loot tables!! This isnt related to just chests actually, but for adventures in general. There are only about 6-7 items on the loot table that ALL named mobs share at a given theme/difficulty which is already rather dull as you see the same stuff over and over and over...to make things worse you run into stuff like the no_drop lute in Mistmoore on normal! Out of the 7 possible drops you get in an adventure one of them is BARD ONLY and NO DROP??

Quite a few things in LDON are very nicely done, but you can tell what things were added in at the last minute of the Beta because those aspects are just plain not right.

Posted this in here as there is no EQ forum (Wtf why).. :flame:

DISCUSS
:flame:

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I thought this was a pirate thread.

Can you pass the pipe mate, I want some of what you are toking.

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Jordan, shes got a chest to be treasured :sex:

Stimpy

Fledgling Freddie
Follow this map an ye shall find me treasure.

treasure_lg.jpg

Bullitt

One of Freddy's beloved
treasure-chest.gif

Makes about as much sense really. The treasure ye seek is in teh doctors office!!!11!

Shikra

Fledgling Freddie
If you dont have anything good to say then please dont (no offence.. ) It is quite a serious topic Everquest wise. :flame: :mad: :flame: :mad:

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Shikra said:
If you dont have anything good to say then please dont (no offence.. ) It is quite a serious topic Everquest wise. :
Chances of finding someone who knows wtf your on about is pretty slim, sorry :(

Especially in here!

raw

One of Freddy's beloved
Uncle Sick said:
I liked that part for some reason... don't ask me why.
Because it had the word "booby" in it :D

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Shikra said:
If you dont have anything good to say then please dont (no offence.. ) It is quite a serious topic Everquest wise. :flame: :mad: :flame: :mad:

But I need to get to Level 2 Badger Wanking.

I think I just dinged. Someone fetch a nurse. It smells.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
it's a good idea to include what game you're on about in the title :) yay, gogo captain obvious!! sorry, I'm nasty and handling some idiot escalation here at workies :/

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
I dinged again reading your post tdc. Ewww what a whiff.

TdC

tell me about it. I've been at it myself since this morning :/

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I'd lend you my ring of Badger Deodorisation+3 (+7 vs Cheese) but I need it atm.
Can't you cast 'Vanish Stench'?

Damn Badgerwanker n00bs.

TdC

well, I tried but the excessive puking causes me to fail the concentration d20 test :/

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
hey! Balls to you Madras User....LOL OMG KEKE ROFL you FOTM BIATCH!

Meet me in Emain/Omni City/Darkfall server/Neocron City/Tattooine and I will Badger Wank Your Ass MOFO!

Xploiter ho! lolz

wtf omg pwned.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
I wont duel coz I no u just zerg peeps! laemz0r fagboi

We need our own off-topic section!!1

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
You guys stop taking the piss!

Your all horrible people and need to stop being quite so aggressive.

I however agree that I had NO IDEA WHAT THE HELL THIS WAS ABOUT!
I thought it was a mis-posted DAoC question but he said it was about Everquest (EQ to us mmorpg LEPERS!).

I will now post a helpful comment.

Make this post again in DAoC off-topic as I wouldn't be surprised that many DAoC peeps will have played Everquest (some may still do so) and someone might help you out.

Then again they may just get really aggressive about you not being a badger hunter in THEIR make belief world.

Go figure :rolleyes:

adams901

Can't get enough of FH
I demand all the off topic usless replys be removed and their owners banned.

that will be all thanks :).

Xtro

One of Freddy's beloved
Forums never go off-topic do they...

For fucks sake its 1984 all over again.

Don't worry its only a shower, for your clothes here's a pretty flower, its the suede denim secret police, they have come for your uncool niece.

Covenant

Can't get enough of FH
Xtro said:
Forums never go off-topic do they...

For fucks sake its 1984 all over again.

Don't worry its only a shower, for your clothes here's a pretty flower, its the suede denim secret police, they have come for your uncool niece.

Come quietly to the camp
You'd look nice as a drawstring lamp
Don't you worry, it's only a shower
For your clothes here's a pretty flower?

DIE on organic poison gas
Serpent's egg's already hatched
You will croak, you little clown
When you mess with President Brown

...back on topic...

Post in the DAoC General OT forum, you may get a knowledgable response :)

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
Tenko said:
You guys stop taking the piss!

Your all horrible people and need to stop being quite so aggressive.

I thought it was a mis-posted DAoC question but he said it was about Everquest (EQ to us mmorpg LEPERS!).

Make this post again in DAoC off-topic as I wouldn't be surprised that many DAoC peeps will have played Everquest (some may still do so) and someone might help you out.

Then again they may just get really aggressive about you not being a badger hunter in THEIR make belief world.

I've just realised that my own post did not contain enough scorn and seemed to besmirch the BW tradition of stamping really hard on newbies in a kind of brutal initiation ritual, something i didn't mean to do (I'm obviously in too good a mood).

Therefore I've re posted it below.

You guys are taking the piss!

Your all horrible people!!!! :p note: the sticky out tongue for sarcasm

MUPPET!
MUPPET!
MUPPET!

Then again they may just get really aggressive about you not being a badger hunter in THEIR make belief world (Bloody DAoC players are all MUPPETS TOO!)

MUPPETS!!!

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Tenko said:

*hands Tenko a bell and Xtro tissues*

Doh_boy

Part of the furniture
A few things to consider for the original poster and anyone who is defending him.

1) This forum has never before had a discussion about everquest and nothing says it should.

2) Not to far away is a forums entitled 'Role Playing Games' with a rather handy general forum. Bonza! Perfect place for this no? (hint will/any other mod.*)

BUT, being nice to people is preferred. :)

*If you move it could you also remove the silly posts. Cheers. :D

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
Indeed if this was posted in the rpg forum as opposed to the non game related general forum then i wouldnt have to do this.

:twak: EQ

:twak: Treasure chests

GDW

Fledgling Freddie
Xtro said:
hey! Balls to you Madras User....LOL OMG KEKE ROFL you FOTM BIATCH!

Meet me in Emain/Omni City/Darkfall server/Neocron City/Tattooine and I will Badger Wank Your Ass MOFO!

Xploiter ho! lolz

wtf omg pwned.

GRATZ !!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom