Let's talk about GOA

O

old.Prof

OK this is flogging a dead horse but again in the friday news :

- The PvP server will come with the patch 1.51 or close behind. For now, the patch 1.51 is planned for October.
- The Add-on is planned for November by Mythic. For now we do not have enough elements to have a real planning.

WTF ?? Basically this means that GOA has surrendered to the fact that they lag horribly behind the USA version (3 full months !) and have no chance of ever catching up. There is no "we will try to fix it" anymore, it's just "hey we've given up - it's hopeless !".
It's clear that's impossible for the add-on to reach our HDs in november ('cause that would demand GOA catching up on the USA client), it'll prolly be february at the earliest like things are looking now.

February, that's well behind the release dates of SB, AC2 and SW:G (provided they don't get delayed of course), that while the european high lvls are getting bored out of their mind 'cause of the lack of (high-lvl) content. USA players have DF, epic armour, realm skills, improved spell lines, PvP servers and soon further improved RvR, enhanced trade skills (with vendors) and 2 new trade skills, a respec option, housing and a full expansion pack - and those are only the more important extras.
What will we soon have ? DF - and how soon is a bit unclear because according to GOA :

At this time, the 1.49 client is still not 100% operational and it looks like GORRE will not open before next week.

Does GOA honestly think they can commercially survive with this kind of service ???

0ld.mili

Originally posted by old.Prof

WTF ?? Basically this means that GOA has surrendered to the fact that they lag horribly behind the USA version (3 full months !) and have no chance of ever catching up.

But for the USA version does someone have to translate it into 2 other languages and then test these languages? No, i rest my case.

O

old.Cordain

If the english servers would be patched up to US version there would be massive movement from french/german servers to the english ones.
Yes and I know they should do some work on the server farms for this but hey...

Oh and
Does GOA honestly think they can commercially survive with this kind of service ???

The answer is YES. It does not matter how much you bitch and complain about it as long as you are paying them.

E

erl

Whine whine.
Where have I heard all this before?
:eek:

O

old.Breydel

Well you can all complain about how much GOA sucks. People did that more than half a year ago already and nothing has changed since. GOA lives in their own bubble, thinking everything is just fine. For you, the Euro DAoC customer, there are 3 choices: live with it and keep playing, complain about it and keep playing, or cancel your account.

Then also...

I now play on the US servers and I don't believe the BS GOA makes up about latency all over Europe. I didn't have any connection problems connecting to the US servers (I'm from Belgium) nor did I hear anyone from my guild complain about it (these guys are mainly from Holland, some Germany & Denmark). If there is something wrong with networks "all over Europe" I would STRONGLY think it's happening in France.

And another also...

You can bet the X-pack is going to require a minimum version of the base DAoC. Just like it is with all X-packs. For example Lord of Destruction patched Diablo II to version 1.08 I believe and needed that patch to operate. Now, I don't understand what GOA is going to do if the required DAoC version is perhaps 1.56 in November and they are only up to 1.51 in October. Not only would GOA first need to hurry patching to 1.56, but they also need to translate the ENTIRE X-pack (18 new zones with new mobs, an entire gallery of quests for all 3 realms, 3 new races, 6 new classes). Please don't even think you can play DAoC X-pack on Euro servers by the end of the year. I think somewhere halfway next year is closer to a possible release date here, if ever (I think I'm even being optimistic).

I have been pissed off about GOA for 5 months too (November 2001 -> March 2002), until I took the decision to move to the US servers. I never regretted I took that decision and I'm still playing DAoC daily. I learned something here though, I will never ever again play an online game that is distributed & altered by a third party.

O

old.tRoG

1.49 is coming at the end of july, or the beginning of august. It has epic armours and DF, which, if I'm not mistaken, are... High Level Content? tm.

WTF ?? Basically this means that GOA has surrendered to the fact that they lag horribly behind the USA version (3 full months !) and have no chance of ever catching up.

nope, of course they won't catch up. they have to translate the patches. 1.51 in October sounds alright to me, it means one patch a month, plus we get a pvp server then. Think, it's only 2 1/2 months away, which is really not that long.

GOA have improved alot lately, their patching has sped up, they're giving out news, and everything would fine but for the terrible lag

:twak: Wanadoo

OMG... I just defended GOA! Tell me I'd be doing this 4 months ago and I'd smack you!

O

old.LandShark

None of the patches up to 1.51 add any real high-lvl content, except 1.49 which we're getting in the third of the time we got the last one. If they're scheduling one month a patch, then, so be it. Just so long as these delays don't lengthen.

O

old.tRoG

you could call realm abilities high lvl content, as it requires rps, and high lvls have more of those ;)

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Woweee... another patch-whine thread. /goes to fetch a plate and silverware

/steps in line with erl and wonders why Breydel still posts here if the US servers are the promised country... oh, and yawns.

O

old.Tzeentch

Sounds like one patch a month, which is fine by me...as long as it aint any of that nonsense from 1.36 -> 1.45

And it also seems the US is being patched every 4-6 weeks, so I do think we will eventually catch up.

<keyword: eventually>

O

old.Wicoa

Aye, I slightly agree with the original post, we only just got the new patch tho like two weeks ago I think.

Every three months I pay I put GOA on trial if they F-up again I will move to SWG or dragon empires when they appear on the seen. Will have a job soon so can trial SWG and play DAOC hehehehe. And if its good/better than DAOC, I will cancel my DAOC sub.

O

old.Breydel

And it also seems the US is being patched every 4-6 weeks, so I do think we will eventually catch up.

That's just because Mythic was working on the PvP servers.

O

old.tRoG

Originally posted by old.Breydel

That's just because Mythic was working on the PvP servers.

and now they have to work on the xpac, so it means more time to catch up.

O

old.Kladen

why cant GOA patch english servers with the US patchs? i know it isnt far on the french/germans servers but why let us suffer when we could get the patchs quicker. please kemor consider this. the germans ,french will understand why we would get em quicker (because the US version is the same language)

will this ever happen /cry /pray

O

old.tRoG

Originally posted by old.Kladen
why cant GOA patch english servers with the US patchs? i know it isnt far on the french/germans servers but why let us suffer when we could get the patchs quicker. please kemor consider this. the germans ,french will understand why we would get em quicker (because the US version is the same language)

will this ever happen /cry /pray

not this again :rolleyes:

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Originally posted by old.Kladen
the germans ,french will understand why we would get em quicker (because the US version is the same language)

confucius.jpg

O

old.Prof

Well the big reason for my highy original :rolleyes: post was that GOA seemed to have given up on bridging the gap between the USA servers. They just seem to be happy with churning out a patch every month.

Mind you, a patch every month is the same tempo they have uphold since release. Only difference is up till now they tried to do 3 patches at once, which (as a result) took em 3 months. Ppl are now starting to think "wow GOA is translating fast - a patch every month now !", but this is deceptive, in fact nothing much has changed with the translation speed of GOA, it's as slow as it has ever been, GOA is just doing smaller bits at a time.

Basically we will be 3 months behind for eternity (ok this starts to sound overly dramatic :p), while my hope was that GOA would do an effort to reduce this gap to a few weeks or so (which should be possible IMHO).

O

old.Breydel

and now they have to work on the xpac, so it means more time to catch up.

OK, but there is a big difference. The PvP server was mainly new code in game dynamics and a lot of testing and altering due to player feedback, it won't have that much for GOA to be translated. When the X-pack comes out GOA has a TON of translating to do.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

Breydel, may I ask you a question? Honest and serious because I really don't get it...

If the US servers are so incredibly much better and GOA just doesn't know shit about shit... why on earth are you still posting on the euro forums?

Since months and months you keep rambling and ranting about how everything is so much better and Mythic passes out free candy etc. etc., GOA doing a crap job etc. etc.

Do you get more free candy for converting players to the US servers? Somehow doubt it...

Tell me, Breydel, for I must know now.

O

old.Tzeentch

I don't think Mythic take off (important) people to work on other things.

They have different people for different things.

So the spell guy always works on spells...if they add more graphics, they aint gonna call the spell guy and take him off spells for a month.

Similarly, I believe some guys <extra people who help out the main guys from time to time possibly> were just put on the PvP servers.

O

old.Breydel

LOL. I knew it I would get a reply like this... again. I will explain it too... again.

1. I post here occasionally, not daily for months & months. There are periods of a couple of successive weeks where I don't even care or think about posting here.

2. This is an open board just like the VN boards are. Since I'm a European myself I don't see why I'm not allowed to post on the general forum here. Note that I haven't even read or posted on the Euro server boards (apart from looking for Enki for billing his account :p). Since I have no char on the EURO servers those boards don't interest me.

3. From all the games I play I have always been a big forum poster. I enjoy taking a break from a game and talk about it. Some people do, some don't.

4. I'm not just posting here alone. You can also find me on the VN MLF boards, VN Hib magician and VN Hib naturalist boards.

5. If you only have eye for my negative posts about GOA, fine. FYI, I also do create posts or help with answering questions about what is going to come for you guys in upcoming patches. I mean, what is better than having someone play the latest version and give you guys some feedback? Take for example here (http://forums.barrysworld.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=334273#post334273) where someone was worried his block/parry would be crap in RvR. Well, I told him that as a warden I got blocked/parried by a warrior lots of times in patch 1.51.

6. I don't doubt you know how I feel about GOA. Sometimes I do still read the news on their site, just because I'm curious what's happening here (hey don't blame me, I played here for 5 months too and have been dragged through all GOA's misery with corrupted chars and overloaded servers). But when I see GOA posting complete lies on their site I feel the urge to correct a few things here. The reason I posted my 'anti-GOA' reply here is because of these news post from GOA that got me angry:

Today we will start with the bad news, the one about the Internet status overall and for you, players, in particular. If you have been following the news related to Internet activity, you probably heard about the problems some Internet actors are facing lately (Mainly KPNQOuest, which is holding a major part of the European Network). For internet users, this means an overall increase of the latency all over Europe.

On top of that, related to it or not, a lot of players have been affected by a very high ping on our servers. With all the information gathered thanks from a lot of you, we found out that the problem was lying somewhere around the Opentransit portal. This latency does not only affect English players, but also German and most of French players not using ADSL (the ADSL users are re-routed through Gigatransit, which has no problem).

UPDATE: Flash news from KPNQwest!

It seems that KPNQWest, the biggest European internet provider will shutdown their connections today around 9pm CET. We will keep you updated on this hot topic but know that, if this happens, you will probably suffer heavy connection problems all over europe...
That should be it for today, good weekend, and happy hunting!

That is total BS. Read my reply above, on MLF and in my guild we have people from Belgium, Holland, Germany and Denmark which as far as I know are all still situated in Europe. Guys, there is NOTHING wrong with internet in these countries, we had NO LAG the last couple of weeks. Perhaps there is something wrong with some internet providers (most likely somewhere close to France, more precise, to Paris) but it certainly is NOT ALL OVER EUROPE. GOA should not be telling lies like that.

U

Uncle Sick(tm)

I did not say you are not allowed here... gee, are you people ever reading (ie. comprehending) the original post before you reply?

And GOA's news regarding KPNQ were actually quite... true.

O

Olgark

Been reading on the Camelot trade skill forums that the spell crafting and alchemy will be going live on 1st August on the test servers to get ready for patch 1.52

This means there will be a wait for this patch as they will test it to death along with player input, So expect a few mini patches inbetween 1.51 and 1.52
To my knowledge US have already got patch 1.51b but as one person on the trade forum said "there are 26 letter to the alphabet."

O

old.Breydel

I did not say you are not allowed here... gee, are you people ever reading (ie. comprehending) the original post before you reply?
First you ask me why I post here then you give me this reply? LMAO.

And GOA's news regarding KPNQ were actually quite... true.
I have no clue where exactly in Europe KPNQ is involved in internet access. Fact is that myself and all European players from my guild have no problem accessing the US servers. And since we live in Europe our internet connection goes through Europe too. So I will say this for the last time, when GOA says there is something wrong with internet all over Europe, it is a pure lie.

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by old.Breydel
I have no clue where exactly in Europe KPNQ is involved in internet access. Fact is that myself and all European players from my guild have no problem accessing the US servers. And since we live in Europe our internet connection goes through Europe too. So I will say this for the last time, when GOA says there is something wrong with internet all over Europe, it is a pure lie.

If you have no clue about how KPNQwest fits (or fitted) into the equation the shut up with your 'GOA are lying' apparent statements of fact, 'cos they are Bull.

I run a support team for a company one of who's products delivers data to end users from a server farm in the US to locations all over Europe. In synch with the closure of KPNQwest and the increased lag some have experienced playing DAoC, sure enough our phones started to light up with customers complaining about their connection to our servers. Comprehensive testing has demonstrated to these users that the latency has been occurring throughout a variety of ISPs all over Europe.

Yes, there was an issue with a routing component at Wanadoo - I monitored the situation closely using pingplotter and could see this very clearly. GOA stated that they had made some changes, and sure enough I did see an improvement myself. That said, many of us are suffering lag issues because of outside factors as ISPs all over Europe try to find a new routing mechanism to various nodes the world over avoiding bottlenecks as they do so.

If you and your buddies play without any lag, then great, be happy. But please don't come here with your blinkered view and try to ram it down our throats.

L

-Light-

Dunno if anyone missed this but GOA are doing events on our servers too......something which the American servers are begging for but not getting at all...

Just a PRO-GOA point....

V

Vell

Originally posted by old.Prof
USA players have DF,
Yes, and we will have soon too.
epic armour,
again, soon. Didn't they say 1.49 by early august somewhere?
realm skills,
yay, further buffing for albion with unbalanced realm abilities.
improved spell lines,
but not improved where they actually needed it. Can anyone say CAVE or NATURE?
PvP servers
Yay, a load of 12 year olds running around being L337
and soon further improved RvR,
hmmmmm, maybe.... All a matter of opinion really.
enhanced trade skills (with vendors)
The vendors are a long long time coming...don't expect them anytime soon
and 2 new trade skills,
if they ever get them sorted....
a respec option,
Yeah, because they haven't been saying that for the past 4 months...
see Vendor notes...
and a full expansion pack
A few new areas to run around in, but given that (almost) no-one has explored the entirity of each area in the game anyway, will it make any difference?
- and those are only the more important extras.

Now, as you can see, I've made some fairly negative points against Mythic there. However, I actually believe that they are doing a good job. The fact is, some people are forever negative, and some others prefer to look at things in a positive light. It's amazing how people can use two very different glases for the two companies, yet in fact, you could equally complain about them both.

Still, I guess the optimists need the pessimists to remind us how happy we are.

C

cadiva

I wish....

That people would get on with playing the game they have instead of constantly moaning about one they haven't got YET!

There is plenty of stuff to do in DAoC as it stands now if you have a bit of imagination and don't just want to level to 50 in three days.

Go out and eplore what's there. Set up treasure hunts for your smaller guild members, do something that requires a bit of brainwork - don't just moan because a game which was launched five months before the Euro version is actually more up to date ffs.

Get over it and just play what's there.

O

old.Tohtori

Why do we have to talk about GOA...why not, bees and, icecream and..sex! Yes. Let's talk about sex.

*snickers and runs away*

A

Arumar

I think it would be an idea for GOA to work ALONGSIDE mythic on doing the translations, then they could translate it as mythic develops, making it a much quicker process.
Also, they should really introduce client side language preferences, so that a french client logged on to any server gets french text, german players get german text e.t.c, so we don't have any more petty bickering over who has more servers, cause then everyone could use them all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom