Rant Lenovo

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It amazes me that companies try this kind of nonsense. Don't they realise just how many of their customers are tech-savvy enough to never buy their products again?

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It amazes me that companies try this kind of nonsense. Don't they realise just how many of their customers are tech-savvy enough to never buy their products again?
I'm adding them to the list that only had Sony on it before.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
My list includes Audi, a company I shall never buy a car from ever again.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
My list includes Audi, a company I shall never buy a car from ever again.
That reminds me. I need to reply to their non-reply to my complaint :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You probably terrified them if they had access to your browsing history on your "sofa-surfer". :(

I've had enough trouble deleted bloated manufacturer installed shite from laptops in the past, this takes the biscuit though.
Makes the case for a wipe when you buy although I tended not to with Lenovo as I like the battery protection software they ship :/

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've had my Vaio since... 2006 I think. I've always very carefully looked after the recovery partition bit and never messed about with it too much. A couple of months ago I scratched all of that and put Ubuntu Server on it, it's absolutely brilliant.

There were always a couple of things that were tricky to get working if you didn't have Sony's software on board (like the stamina/speed switch and a couple of the function keys).

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Well I'm not buying an X1 Carbon, that's for sure.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
funny that. my yoga 2 pro is mentioned, but I don't have superfish, or the certificate or the software by another name. I went through the lappy from top to bottom, and there's nothing there.

MY DEVIANT PR0N GOBBLING WAS NOT WORTH MONITORING :eek::eek::eek:

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Lol, good job I didn't buy that Lenova laptop a few weeks back then... cheeky cunts.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Bastard fucks, I just bought a yoga pro 2. Is that what MSE removed yesterday then or do I have to do it manually?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I just got one back in November -.-

Will have a look later.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You were compromised. In fact I've been monitoring your banking traffic for weeks. You had a long bank last Wednesday night.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
How can it even be legal to dump this kind of shit on consumers o_O

TdC

"By purchasing our product you consent to whatever the hell we decide to ram past your crusty sphincter because someone paid us."

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
"By purchasing our product you consent to whatever the hell we decide to ram past your crusty sphincter because someone paid us."

I like that - perhaps we could put something similar in the FH Ts and Cs :)

TdC

It irks me that nobody does the decent thing any more. Just...don't put crap in your product. Not even if someone gives you free monies. Where's your pride? :(

Syri

FH is my second home
It irks me that nobody does the decent thing any more. Just...don't put crap in your product. Not even if someone gives you free monies. Where's your pride? :(
They sold it, got a good deal on it too...

Lakih

Resident Freddy
So the people who made the malware also made the tool to remove said malware... and everyone trusts it to be ok? Not just, i don't know... better hidden/dormant until the shit storm blows over?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
So the people who made the malware also made the tool to remove said malware... and everyone trusts it to be ok? Not just, i don't know... better hidden/dormant until the shit storm blows over?
No I'm pretty sure the fix is legit. They'd be absolutely fucking barking mad to try anything now that everybody is looking at them. And no doubt security experts from all corners of t'inter have examined the code in the fix (including the guy who wrote the Heartbleed scanner) and would scream from the rooftops if there was anything fishy (giggle).

TdC

So the people who made the malware also made the tool to remove said malware

No, Superfish is actually made by the Israelis. Lenovo is Chinese. what they do with the cert isn't even that clever, but is well beyond the understanding of the average windows user, or any user for that matter. Certs are a massive trust thing, ultimately, and there are thousands of them, with hundreds of companies dishing them out for perfectly legitimate reasons. And some other reasons.

Lakih

Resident Freddy
No, Superfish is actually made by the Israelis. Lenovo is Chinese. what they do with the cert isn't even that clever, but is well beyond the understanding of the average windows user, or any user for that matter. Certs are a massive trust thing, ultimately, and there are thousands of them, with hundreds of companies dishing them out for perfectly legitimate reasons. And some other reasons.
I haven't read up a whole lot, but Superfish was made by Lenovo (Chinese) and PrivDog was made by the Israelis (made by the founder of Comodo). PrivDog abuses Certs to intercept ads and inject its own. Superfish do image analys to find cheaper products (how was not specific in the article i read).

So there's two malware out there by what should be trusted sources.

I have never liked how intrusive Comodo's software is, so i don't use it, and i would never even think of picking up a Lenovo laptop - even long before anyone had heard of Superfish.

TdC

Hmm I thought it was Isreali. It doesn't matter, because as you say only the purpose is really the issue. I personally find it a terrible thing that it is possible to basically create a MITM attack and clothe it in the guise of a trusted source. In uni I made what was basically a T-junction proxy server where I would move traffic from a single source to two different places transparantly, but I never thought to implement an SSL decode/recode. Ofc once you have certs it really isn't that hard to do.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
What's so hard to believe everyone is after data. Legit or other ways. Unless they get caught they farm it cause it's the most valuable thing around right now. What you like. What you buy etc

Get use to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom