"Lego" mobile phone...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
The second video seems quite positive, Motorola have already been working on a modular phone.

It is a nice idea but I don't see it taking off in a mainstream stylee. The big manufacturers aren't going to get behind something that doesn't need fully replacing every generation or 2, why would they? I know they're owned by Google but Motorola aren't the driving force in the mobile world that they once were.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
If Motorola take this on and do it bloody well, then it could be a game-changer...

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't care if it's Motorola or Apple as long as SOMEONE gets it right. :)

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
I hope Apple doesn't get involved they would charge a fortune.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
That sounds like a fantastic idea. Hopefully it can be pulled off well.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sounds like a shit plan to me, fragmented phone ecosystem only benefits one platform, Android.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sounds like a shit plan to me, fragmented phone ecosystem only benefits one platform, Android.

Don't worry, i'm pretty sure Apple has already started their own R&D on this.

I mean, can you imagine them saying no to the idea of selling massively overpriced "apple certified" modules to all their fanbois?

I can just picture the top floors of Apple HQ flooding in drool here... :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
They need to make sure the phone doesn't fall apart into 17 bits if you accidentally drop it.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
there is a locking mechanism. did you not watch the vid?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
stick a stylish snug-fitting cover on the back and you've got a deal

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I don't really see it getting traction. Most people have zero interest in how their phone is put together, any more than the vast majority of people care about upgrading components on their PC.

I think the idea is great, but I'm aware I'd be part of a small niche this would appeal to, which is a problem because the idea needs scale to work.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Largely pointless in the long run. I think in the future people will end up with a central unit for all this shit and have everything separate via glasses, wrist stuff etc. As for storage it will probably be all on the cloud anyway, or streamed from home.

I quite liked the setup in "her" without the falling in love with the self aware OS ofc...although who knows? Maybe that could happen too!

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I don't really see it getting traction. Most people have zero interest in how their phone is put together, any more than the vast majority of people care about upgrading components on their PC.

I think the idea is great, but I'm aware I'd be part of a small niche this would appeal to, which is a problem because the idea needs scale to work.

I'd say pretty much everyone 30 and younger are interested in this (and a fair few older then that as well).

If done right this is going to be a pretty big deal.

DaGaffer

I'd say pretty much everyone 30 and younger are interested in this (and a fair few older then that as well).

If done right this is going to be a pretty big deal.

...and you'd be utterly, massively wrong. Don't assume you and people you know represent the market. Look at Apple; most of us get wound up by the sealed battery and the lack of expansion, but most people simply don't give a fuck, to the extent that other companies now copy that approach. This is the polar opposite of the Apple approach, and the analogy to self-build PC enthusiasts is appropriate; but that's not a big market overall.

Even if this came to market, it would be sold in pre-configured packs and 95% of its buyers would never mess with it or upgrade it in any way; just like PC owners.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Don't assume you and people you know represent the market.

And you are basing your arguments around what exactly? (where'd 95% come from?)

I'm not saying this will be the new iphone/ipod hysteria, just that there's going to be a pretty strong market for it IF it's done right. And people won't have a problem customizing their phones when they order them.

Ok so i was probably exaggerating when i said that almost everyone 30 and younger would be interested, but enough will be to make this something to go for.

I mean there's obviously a market for selling separate PC components, so why couldn't there be one for mobile phones?

Yes there's going to be more people that just wants "a phone", the same as there's more people that just wants "a pc".

But that doesn't mean this won't be popular.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I mean there's obviously a market for selling separate PC components, so why couldn't there be one for mobile phones?
Because a phone is best designed as an integrated item.

DaGaffer

And you are basing your arguments around what exactly? (where'd 95% come from?)

I'm not saying this will be the new iphone/ipod hysteria, just that there's going to be a pretty strong market for it IF it's done right. And people won't have a problem customizing their phones when they order them.

Ok so i was probably exaggerating when i said that almost everyone 30 and younger would be interested, but enough will be to make this something to go for.

Yes there's going to be more people that just wants "a phone", the same as there's more people that just wants "a pc".

But that doesn't mean this won't be popular.

Self-build PCs are considered part of the "white box" PC market (e.g. unbranded), a market that has been in consistent decline for years. It was down to 5.6% of the overall market as long ago as 2006. I'm being generous (based on the fact that PC self-builders keep their kit going for much longer than average) to assume its 5% frankly.

It occurs to me that one way this modular idea might work is if it actually reduces manufacturing costs overall, but I've got no idea if or at what volumes it does.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
@DaGaffer that the wrong URL or something?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Sorry about the necro.

But it seems Google are well on their way with this concept, they apparently even have a planned launch for the base version of January next year...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Ara

So this got interesting pretty fast.

Expecting a combined lawsuit against Google by Apple, Samsung and the rest shortly trying to prevent it from ever releasing, or at the least delay it until they have caught up... :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom