Legion - First thoughts

Syri

FH is my second home
I hadn't really planned to start playing the moment it launch, just happened to be online at the time. I'd expected server crashes, queues, lag, bugs... so I decided to finish what I was doing and log off for the night. But then I saw people in guild saying that they were in already, and there weren't any issues at all. I was impressed, especially as the next few days continued without any of the usual launch issues.

As for the expansion itself, it's obviously early days yet, but first impressions are good for me. The questing is involving, and the stories so far interesting. The zones I've been in so far are well designed, and look far better than you'd expect of such an old game. The order hall seems better integrated than the garrisons were, feeling more like an extra dimension to the game, rather than something different embedded in.

The scaling works really well, with 4 zones on offer, and each scaling to your level all throughout, so you can choose your own path through the land. The dungeons scale as well, so all of the regular dungeons are available for everyone level 98 to 109. Rewards are scaled as well, of course, so whatever route you take, you always get something relevant to you now.

The artefact weapons are interesting, each one having its own quests and lore, and offering different orders in which you can unlock the benefits. The only worry I have is that the grind for artefact power might be a bit too much, as you need an awful lot to get the later skills unlocked. It may be that the rewards will increase a lot as I progress, to allow for this.

Of course, the big test is going to be how much it offers once you reach the level cap (I'm only 104 at the moment, so 6 more to go, taking my time.) and also how quickly new content rolls out, to keep people going. First impressions though are that it's a fun expansion, that's making me want to play again.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Didn't even know it was out, logged in to get ready last night and half my guild are 110. Quite like it so far, decided this expansion I will be taking my time to top level and follow the story, see if gets me any more invested into the game.

Yoni

Cockb@dger / Klotehommel www.lhw.photography
Leveled in a day and a half, however in this expansion the fun is only just starting at 110. I like it so far, it is a modern twist on classic :)

Gray

FH is my second home
I've only been able to commit a few hours a day so far, but level 108 in Stormheim, with Val'sharah still to complete.
Only downside so far is LFD dungeons take forever as DPS to join.
I have a quick question though, anyone played their lesser-played alts to get their Legendaries yet? How challenging was it if you didn't wholly know your class?

Shagrat

I am a FH squatter
So is the garrison complete pointless now ?

Quite liking the new content so far

Syri

FH is my second home
So is the garrison complete pointless now ?
Pretty much... If you've got a tailor, you can still use it to make hexweave bags, as there aren't any bigger ones in Legion. Other than that though, not really much need for it now. You'd probably make more gold doing a couple of Legion quests in the time it'd take to set anything up to make a tiny amount of gold from the garrisons now, and that's all they give these days, a tiny amount.

Gray

FH is my second home
Really missing the Legion-equivilent of mining and herbing though in Garrisons, means it's going to be a ballache levelling my professions i think!!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
There are like 10+ mounts from Garrison to collect, if you haven't already

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Loving it so far, it shits all over Draenor's launch/content.

Syri

FH is my second home
Really missing the Legion-equivilent of mining and herbing though in Garrisons, means it's going to be a ballache levelling my professions i think!!
Not really that bad, they've put some skills in that level up on crafting, and give you more chance at getting more out of nodes etc. Plus even if you've not got your skill up at all, you still get the proper item, not some tiny part that you combine ten of to make the proper item. Oh, and nodes are shared now, so two people can mine the same one at the same time and both get it.
The garrison was a bit TOO convenient, should've been less to gather and a weekly spawn, rather than daily. It completely crashed the market for selling materials on the auction house, for WoD stuff anyway. I'm glad we're back to the old but more interesting gathering, where you actually go looking for stuff to get, and can happen across many weird and wonderful things in the world.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Really don't like what they have done to hunters and starting to think about switching characters...maybe druid so I can at least have a little bit of variation.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Really don't like what they have done to hunters and starting to think about switching characters...maybe druid so I can at least have a little bit of variation.

Pretty much agree :l MM and Survival are shit.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I am BM and at level 107 I still only have 3-4 button to press, in no particular order. I reckon with some clever tab targeting I could play it on a controller...

Yoni

I am BM and at level 107 I still only have 3-4 button to press, in no particular order. I reckon with some clever tab targeting I could play it on a controller...
It is how it was in classic as a BM tbh

Yoni

New mobile companion out tomorrow is going to be fantabulous.... Class missions from mobile, recruiting troops, view of what world quests are up so you can plan at lunchtime, not to mention AK and class order hall research..... Woo hoo can't wait!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
110 on the hunter now. Binned.

Going to level the holy pally at the weekend.

Syri

FH is my second home
Just something I've discovered. If you decide to level a second or third artifact weapon, you can't use the first one while on the quest for it. If you've already sold your weapons for your other spec, or didn't have any, you can buy weapons from a vendor in your class hall. They cost 100g each, but that's easy enough to make back, but that gets you some ilevel 740 weapons to get the quest done.
Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is stuck and hasn't found that yet.

SilverHood

FH is my second home
Just something I've discovered. If you decide to level a second or third artifact weapon, you can't use the first one while on the quest for it. If you've already sold your weapons for your other spec, or didn't have any, you can buy weapons from a vendor in your class hall. They cost 100g each, but that's easy enough to make back, but that gets you some ilevel 740 weapons to get the quest done.
Thought I'd share it in case anyone else is stuck and hasn't found that yet.
Sure you can, I got my DK Frost blades using the Blood 2 hander. You need to decline to change specs at the start of the quest though.

Yoni

I did one quest as my main spec and the other I did (for fun) without a weapon

Syri

FH is my second home
I'd been told you had to be in the spec for the artifact you are going for... Guess I was told wrong then. never mind... I'll make the gold back soon enough :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I think I did all 3 on the hunter but then there isn't a great deal of difference between the specs, role wise. Guildie said the AI goes to shit if you do the holy pally quest.

Yoni

What I suspected in beta and is how I feel now is that the game only really begins for a character at 110... Yes the lore is fun which takes away from the boredom of levelling, but I am absolutely loving the Suramar quest line including the side quests Shalassic Park anyone. Personally I would only re-roll at 110 if you made a bad class choice at the beginning of the expansion ;)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Well I aint spending the next two years pressing 3 buttons so the hunter is dead to me.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
I have a quick question though, anyone played their lesser-played alts to get their Legendaries yet? How challenging was it if you didn't wholly know your class?

Not really that hard.. The worst for me were the healing specs because i haven't played as a healer since vanilla and you kinda can't cheese your way through as DPS spec (or at least i never could). But you figure out what's what pretty fast.

That said i'm REALLY disappointed in the shaman and hunter weapons. Neither of the weapons or their alternative skins look nice. And the Doomhammers flaming offhand in enhancement lust look retarded.

Well I aint spending the next two years pressing 3 buttons so the hunter is dead to me.

I was hoping for less skills to keep track of, but some of the classes have gone too far while others still have too many with Shamans being one of them. Seriously give me back my weapon buffs ffs Blizzard!

SilverHood

FH is my second home
What's different between healing now and vanilla? I had a priest to 80 years ago.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Seems to also be overly simplified but will wait and see.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Healers don't seem to go oom... or at least not very easily, mana regen seems a bit mental.

Yoni

What's different between healing now and vanilla? I had a priest to 80 years ago.
Depends. I still play priest... Holy is still very traditional and simplistic, however Disc is more trixy. I like to play them both as they are both viable to level on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom