Leetspeak

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
So, Blizzard designed the game so that the opposing factions would not be able to talk to each other. For a while in beta you could learn the common language of the other faction, but it was taken out because it only lead to harassment and smacktalk.

Now, some creative individuals try to circumvent this language barrier by using the fearsome l33tspeak - for some reason the engine does not garble single instances of signs and numbers beeing typed in chat (i.e. I can type /s :) and the opposition will see :) ). Ive seen lots of /yell I_ 0 I_ and /yell I\I 0 0 I3 and such. One nightelf rogue that attacked me 5 times even turned friendly after the duels and started asking me about my equipment in leetspeak. I managed to understand what he was saying to some extent but im far from fluent in l33t so couldnt respond.

Not sure what to think about it, i try to picture it as my character catching bits and pieces of a strange language but at the same time it does exactly what blizzard didnt want it to do since its mainly beeing used to smacktalk :(
Would probably be better if they just went the DAoC route and gave a message such as "<name> says something in a language you dont understand".

Thoughts?

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
Well I don't mind hordes talking to me that way, can be quite fun sometime.

There's a translator too wich just simply converts horde to alliance and vice versa.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
It doesn't really bother me, it can be quite useful actually. I was resting while soloing mobs about a week ago and a NE and gnome came and sat next to me and said "/\/0 |< | |_ |_?" or something like that and I just nodded at them, so we didn't attack eachother and just got on with our quests.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Dillinja said:
It doesn't really bother me, it can be quite useful actually. I was resting while soloing mobs about a week ago and a NE and gnome came and sat next to me and said "/\/0 |< | |_ |_?" or something like that and I just nodded at them, so we didn't attack eachother and just got on with our quests.

that took me literally 5 minutes 2 disipher :( they shoulda done

|\|0
|< | |_ |_

:( im screwed if a horde wants 2 make friends :(

[TB] Benedictine

Fledgling Freddie
It's funny and useful and kinda realistic in a weird way - you cant just about understand people in a foreign language if you try hard so...

My only experience of this was last week when an alliance typed 1v1

I nodded and we proceeded to thrash each other without intereference

Tallen

Fledgling Freddie
[TB] Benedictine said:
It's funny and useful and kinda realistic in a weird way - you cant just about understand people in a foreign language if you try hard so...

I have to agree with this, very good comment.

Fedaykin

Fledgling Freddie
haha was fun today in badlands managed to co-ordinate with a horde guy to meet up in #stormscale on quakenet

# 5 7 0 |2 /\/\ 5 ( 4 |_ 3

0 |_| 4 |< 3 /\/ 3 7

:D

funny imo cos it does take me a min or two to translate

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Fedaykin said:
haha was fun today in badlands managed to co-ordinate with a horde guy to meet up in #stormscale on quakenet

0 |_| 4 |< 3 /\/ 3 7

what does that mean :( i cant for the life of me figure it out apart from theres a m and a n and a l there :)

Sparda

Fledgling Freddie
Fedaykin said:

0 |_| 4 |< 3 /\/ 3 7

ok im a dead man, that took me around 10 mins to work out, and then i got no where near what it is :(

Downanael

Fledgling Freddie
Reminds me from human mage who had about 10 lines tall noob written on asterisks and spammed it on /yell was bit more than annoying

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
I actually had 2 hordes helping me kill a questmob of 5 lvl's higher with /point /point /point /point /point |-| 3 |_ P

Hrogar

Fledgling Freddie
I really liked the DAoC-system myself. Since I have yet to meet a Hordeplayer in retail I can't really express an opinion about the leetspeech, but it does sound a bit wrong. Then again I play on a RP-server ;)

Kind regards

pig

Fledgling Freddie
running thru silverpine one afternoon with my lvl32 shaman i passed a small group of lvl18-20 alliance close to pyrewood...

I stoped to /sniff, then carryed on down the road towards Hillsbrad... a few seconds later one of the alliance /yelled something along the lines of "all horde are loosers" in leet speak.... so i ran back, killed all 3 and sat camping them until i got bored :D

One resed behind a tree and tried to use the hearthstone, got a lucky 3 windfury crits with my axe :)
Another ran towards pyrewood then came running back with the Son of Argule chasing him, so i stomped and droped my earth bind and let the big wolf finish him off :D

leet speakers have been added to my KOS list, along with Gnomes and Rogues :kissit:

pig

Fledgling Freddie
Evoknox said:
windfury attack 20% chance to proc :twak:
you ever seen windfury proc?

with a 3.3 speed 2h axe your lucky to get the effect...
never mind 3 in a row each around my crit dmg (240)

poor guy probably didnt know wtf had happend

Bonelamencer

One of Freddy's beloved
pig said:
you ever seen windfury proc?

with a 3.3 speed 2h axe your lucky to get the effect...
never mind 3 in a row each around my crit dmg (240)

poor guy probably didnt know wtf had happend

Prenerfed buged WF pwned much more then nowadays(7 instant attacks 4thewin!)

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
heh idd, really what was blizz thinking there... you could 1hit people with a slow 2 hander

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
\/\/ "|" |= |5 4|| "|"|-||5 |33"|" (|-|4"|" 4|30|_|"|" ??

(4|\| 10|_| _||_|5"|" |\|0"|" |_|53 /e ????

seemed to work when i was talking to a dwarf, not sure if he understood me though, quite funny to see a ??level dwarf not attack you when you've got PvP enabled and /dance and /silly with you for about 20mins :D

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:

seemed to work when i was talking to a dwarf, not sure if he understood me though, quite funny to see a ??level dwarf not attack you when you've got PvP enabled and /dance and /silly with you for about 20mins :D

/yell # # #### # # ###
/yell # # # # # # #
/yell #### #### # # # #
/yell # # # # # # #
/yell # # #### #### #### ###

I already made complete sentences from #'s, it's also easily understandable compared to that 1337 bullshit.

It all started when a lvl 43 ud rogue (was 34 at that time) did

/yell ## # ### ### ####
/yell # # # # # # # # #
/yell # # # # # # # #####
/yell # ## # # # # # #
/yell # # ### ### #####

at me.

I made 4 macros, and replied in this same manner

"The noob here, is you"

The message was delivered, and I am sure it got him pissed off ;p

Edit: Fh messes spaces up, ingame it looks like the pic I will copy in.

Lothandar

Fledgling Freddie
thenoobhereisyou.JPG

It is not bug-free, the text is fubar at some spots but as I am not 1 of those who spam these after killing other players, I don't mind it not being perfect, it does its job when I want to reply in a defensive manner to these idiots.

Meduza

One of Freddy's beloved
Lothandar said:
thenoobhereisyou.JPG

It is not bug-free, the text is fubar at some spots but as I am not 1 of those who spam these after killing other players, I don't mind it not being perfect, it does its job when I want to reply in a defensive manner to these idiots.
Thats more like WoW morse system than l33t speak... But hey, I got that one down :p

Urme the Legend

Fledgling Freddie
Meduza said:
Thats more like WoW morse system than l33t speak... But hey, I got that one down :p

I hope they fix so you can't "talk" that leet "language" :< .. and seeing people spamming 20 lines of # like the SS above is even worse.

I hate it.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Indeed. You are aware that /yell is broadcasted to the entire zone right? So each time you wanna yell noob or whatever everyone in the zone gets your 20 lines of angry red nonsense spam text :twak:

I dont mind if people try speaking to eachother in /s as i mostly dont have to see it, but for gods sake dont use yell. :flame:

Lian

Fledgling Freddie
The asterisk/hash thing is really really annoying. I am appealing anyone I see doing it to be honest. For a start i can't read it as i've narrowed my chat channel a lot so it goes over to the other line, and makes no sense. Secondly, Blizzard intention was no x-realm communication aside from emotes and this kind defeats the object. I don't mind being farted upon and the like, but i can do without yelling PWNED NOOB in 15 line high asterisks when they kill me with 3 people..

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
yep.. making urself understood to the enemy can lead to a long term suspension and possibly a ban.. and yes, im reporting anyone i see that does shit like those asterisk crap

Thrunge

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:

seemed to work when i was talking to a dwarf, not sure if he understood me though

Been trying for a bit and I'm sure I don't understand you :p

Asha

Fledgling Freddie
I find it much easier to just use the good old /wave if I don't feel like fighting.

Jayce

Fledgling Freddie
Haggus said:

Took me a while ...

WTF is all this leet chat about ??
Can you just not use /e ????

... I think !

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom