Help Leeds Freddys

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Finally got a new job (yay!) and I start work in Leeds city centre on the 1st of September. Can anyone recommend some good pubs, places to get lunch, things to do in the evenings?

For those who know Leeds, I'll be working just off Water Lane about 5 mins from the station.

Anyone with some local knowledge want to help me out? I'm finally getting away from the evil claws of Bradford where I wouldn't dare set foot in any pubs or most food places!

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Working at a marketing firm as a "Technology Support Manager". Running the hosting for clients, admining the internal systems and supporting development of new products and suchlike.

More money, more responsibility, the word "Manager" on my CV and not working in bloody Bradford...sounds good to me :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I thought this thread was about lesbians. Not fair.

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Get yourself to the Wendyhouse thats on once a month at the Leeds Met.

Full of goffs like but good music in the main room and if you're up on the happy things then take a rave in the black room. Good fun all round, just make sure you get wasted before going in, they'll let you in since i've managed to get in when staggering all over the damn place.

Cockpits not too bad either.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I've only been to Leeds twice, but like Sharma says, Cockpit is decent.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Sounds good Killswitch. Am an Essex gimp so can't really help with Leeds tips.

Uara

Part of the furniture
Cockpit is brilliant. Just finished being a student there, so most of my time was in a drunken haze. But that had to be my favourite club. If you want to see lots of Lesbians go to a club called Mission, tis near the train station!

Naetha

Fledgling Freddie
You could have just spoken to me and gimpface :p (who incidentally has just fallen off his bike and is missing a chunk of knee ;) )

Lee used to work at Energis which is now Cable & Wireless / Virgin whatever, anyway, irrelevant - he used to work down that way. There ain't much to do at lunchtimes without going into town. You can't go wrong with the Scarbrough Hotel (or Scabby Taps to the locals) for a lunchtime pint - tis a CAMRA style real ale pub that does half decent lunches. Used to be a bit spit and sawdust - now rather gastro. Solicitors go there. If you want a bit of rough, then the Prince of Wales is OK for a pint, although it used to be known as a gay pub (not that that's an issue, but you might not want people to get the wrong idea) (not that the wrong idea is an issue, but you know what I mean).

Along Water Lane there's the whole Holbeck urban village malarkey - there's a pub there called the Cross Keys I think - generally full of artsy tree huggers. Haven't been there, but a couple of friends work nearby and go there for after work pintage.

There's also the Grove pub which is t'other way about 200yds from Water Lane which is very CAMRAesque Grove Folk Club, Leeds: Folk Music, Folk Song, Folk Singers, West Yorksire, UK and has regular live music, usually of the folk variety. Been there a couple of times, seems OK, although admittedly this was before it was surrounded on all sides by high rises, so may be full of wankers in suits.

I think that's my brain dump exhausted for now.

Ooh I lie - if you go into town (especially good on a night) is a place called Baby Jupiter's which is on York Place (postcode LS1 2DS - plug that into multimap or whatever) which is very retro, has funky music and a decent range of drinks. Can be a bit pricey, but you seem to get a good mix of people. Further up York Place is another basement bar called the Old Steps - this is more traditional, but still good. Think they do food in the pie and peas range, and decent beer. Can get very crowded.

Right, that's really it now. For more specific advice, MSN or text me :p

Damn I miss going out in Leeds ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom