Learning Music (piano)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Went down town today and ordered a Yamaha Clavinova 240R which will be with me next Saturday - woot !

I know the basics of reading music and have a long term DAOC friend who is an accomplished player that lives 20miles away and willing to give some tuition.

Any tips or ideas on starter music - something without those horrible flats and sharps :)

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
What kinda stuff are you looking to play? Classical or more modern stuff?

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
1st: Change your name back to Tears! :(

2nd: I have no skill in music what so ever, so all I am gonna do is wish you good luck and tell you not to quit it just because you suck the first year or two ;)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
What kinda stuff are you looking to play? Classical or more modern stuff?

All of it :)

When I was at school (did music for one term) the music teacher banned us all from pushing the "Demo" button on the keyboards in class - you can imagine after years of hearing the same tune it gets to you - so I learned it and committed it to memory. 20 years later and I can still remember it, nice classical piece but no idea of the name

Learned a few bars of My Immortal - top song !

and can nearly play some Zelda music :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I've been playing the piano for 26 years. Impossible to advise without seeing you at the piano. I'd start with a really basic book of piano tunes. Pop down to a music shop - Chappells in London (Bond Street) is excellent.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
I've been playing the piano for 26 years. Impossible to advise without seeing you at the piano. I'd start with a really basic book of piano tunes. Pop down to a music shop - Chappells in London (Bond Street) is excellent.

hehe you really dont want to see me play - I know its going to take practice, practice and more practice, the way I see it is like watching someone type using a computer for the first time compared to me with 25yrs using a QWERTY, I just hope I can learn before i pop my clogs.

Some things that I think will help...

Try to get a good stint in during the week and weekend, but at the very least have a go in the evening (daily), even if its only for 10m

Set aside a specific place for my piano where I can be comfortable and free from MSN/TV/PS3 :)

Learn songs that I know and enjoy, that way I know if i hit the wrong key and have a goal i'm interested in

Buy some headphones so I don't annoy the neighbours

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
I know this might sound a bit dosy, but you might also want to practise some scales - because knowing what notes go with what key (as in the key of the music) really helps ten-fold when learning :)

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
somewhat related to pianos, did anyone see derren brown this week where he taught the girl to play a song without letting her use a piano? that was pretty amazing.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
somewhat related to pianos, did anyone see derren brown this week where he taught the girl to play a song without letting her use a piano? that was pretty amazing.

damn i missed it - stupid Sky+ not having a series link for Trick or Treat.

edit:
Code:
Derren Brown: Trick or Treat

* Tue 08 May
    * 21:00-21:30
    * E4

This week Yshani, a young Sri-Lankan woman, selects a 'Treat' card and is taught to play the piano to concert standard and performs a recital at Wigmore Hall after only two weeks of lessons.

w000000t - Remote record link for anyone with SKY+

Ezteq

Queen of OT
um see if you can get hold of mikah he's pretty nifty when it comes to tinkling the ivories... or i guess plastics tbh these days lol but hes good on a keyboard!

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Re someone's post above, I can't see how someone can play professional concerto standard piano performances after two weeks from scratch. I've been playing 26 years. Its taken me 2 years to play Liszt's "La Campanella", and I'm pretty good. I don't believe it. Sorry. No way. The fingers need YEARS to build up the muscles and flexibility. You can't just pick up tone, emotion, and intonation from scratch. Child prodigies yes. But an adult, no. Either its all faked or she was a concert pianist beforehand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom