Advice Le bike

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is that more pull out of your head stuff Scouse, or did you do research? :p

Look for "bunny hop recumbant".

Best I found was the question Can you bunny-hop a recumbant on Bentrider - the website "dedicated to promoting recumbant biking" - with this quote:
I've already had a number of jarring -- and nearly crash-inducing -- encounters with frost heaves and roadside junk that, on the DF, I'd have easily hopped over.

Add to that - look at the fucking thing - what "research" do you need to do to understand how lying down with your feet in front of you means you're less maneuverable?

It's fucking obvious... :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I daresay it can. But look at it. Can it turn as quickly and as stably as a normal bike? Of course not - obviously - because your body mass is spread laterally rather than over a more centralised location.

And you're not going to be bunny-hopping up a kerb to avoid a retard driver from the right who's not seen you. For a start - your legs are in front of you so there's no jumping action to be had....

Great commuter bike - for somewhere there's zero traffic or hazards.

How quickly do you think a normal bike can turn? I'm just back from a 25-mile ride, most of that was at an average speed of just under 20mph. A typical road bike can't turn for shit at those speeds, in fact no bike can. Turning speed is about wheel base and headtube angle and in those regards, a recumbent is pretty much the same as a road bike.

And I won't be lifting the front wheel to get out of anyone's way because that's just silly. FWIW I've never had a problem with motorists not being able to see me because being visible is about road positioning, not closing my eyes and hoping everyone knows I'm there.

Scouse you really ought to look before you leap because your ignorance on this issue is becoming rather apparent.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Scouse you really ought to look before you leap because your ignorance on this issue is becoming rather apparent.

I support you on the biking thing in general Tom. But not here. IMO the shortcomings are obvious.

Can you, or can you not, perform the very useful action of bunny-hopping?

Just to appease you tho, I've a mate down south who swears by them (although, even he concedes that they're less maneuverable - bunny hopping up kerbs and the like can't be done in a pinch) - so next time I'm down there I'll try it out and tell you what I think...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
No, you cannot pull the front wheel of a recumbent up. But bunny hopping is not pulling the front wheel up, bunny hopping is taking both wheels off the ground in a leaping action by pulling on the handlebars and pushing backward on the pedals.

Seriously, if you don't even know what a bunny hop is...

Nate

FH is my second home
I've never needed to bunny hop or even learn how to do it, what a crock of shit argument for using a different sort of bike.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I've no idea about the relative merits of recumbent versus normal bikes, but the one valid point Scouse does make is about Centre of Gravity. Everything I've ever learned from back in the dark ages when I was engineer, from my experience with cars, motorbikes and aircraft screams "wrong!!" when I look at the recumbent Tom posted. Not all recumbents, not by any means, but definitely that one.

rynnor

Rockhound
Do you still end up working the core support and the arms on these or is it isolating the legs?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Seriously, if you don't even know what a bunny hop is...

I never said a bunny-hop was pulling the front wheel up. I made the point that they're not as maneuverable as normal bikes - which they're demonstrably not.

That point alone means I wouldn't want one. I rely on my knowledge of a normal bike's maneuverability to give me a sense of security that if unexpected shit happened I could *perhaps* do something about it.

A recumbant makes that less likely - which is why I find them horrid :)

the one valid point Scouse does make is about Centre of Gravity. Everything I've ever learned from back in the dark ages when I was engineer, from my experience with cars, motorbikes and aircraft screams "wrong!!"

Hence the point about "maneuverability". The inability to bunny-hop was just a single example which I used to point out it's restricted maneuverability...

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've no idea about the relative merits of recumbent versus normal bikes, but the one valid point Scouse does make is about Centre of Gravity. Everything I've ever learned from back in the dark ages when I was engineer, from my experience with cars, motorbikes and aircraft screams "wrong!!" when I look at the recumbent Tom posted. Not all recumbents, not by any means, but definitely that one.

Eh? The centre of gravity is lower.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
hipster+fixie+1.JPG

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber

But the distribution of weight is along a horizontal axis rather than a vertical.

Plus, your freedom to adjust the placement of that weight is restricted.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And you can't leap off if it all goes to shit.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
But the distribution of weight is along a horizontal axis rather than a vertical.

Plus, your freedom to adjust the placement of that weight is restricted.

So what if the weight is distributed more evenly across both wheels? Since when was having your weight mostly over the rear wheel beneficial to anything except climbing?

And you can't leap off if it all goes to shit.

And if it all goes to shit your injuries will be less severe since you're travelling feet-first (not head-first) and lower to the ground. And you can't leap off a bike with clipless pedals.

You guys sound like the safety-paranoid 00's mother - "Oh Timmy can't possibly go out to play, there's paedophiles on every corner!"

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
So what if the weight is distributed more evenly across both wheels? Since when was having your weight mostly over the rear wheel beneficial to anything except climbing?

So what? It's less maneuverable - that's what. You're avoiding talking about the inability to redistribute weight.

You're a bit defensive about it Tom. All I've said is that *I* don't like 'em because they're not as maneuverable. You're acting like I shot yer cat ;)

Edit: Being unable to resist provoking you:
And if it all goes to shit your injuries will be less severe since you're travelling feet-first (not head-first) and lower to the ground.

Unless the "shit" is being broadsided by an articulated lorry you could have avoided by a quick hop onto the pavement with the added maneuverability of a normal bike ;)

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
What Scouse is saying is that he wouldn't ride one because he wouldn't feel safe on one. Partly due to lack of experience on one and partly due to being accustomed to a regular format. Then trying to explain that point in a way that seems like he's saying Tom is completely wrong about the whole apparatus, when he should just say in a clear manner that "i wouldn't feel safe in one due to personal preference".

What Tom is saying is that he doesn't have such an insecurity, probably due to a huge amount of experience, getting angry because people are by default "my way or no way" in their thinking and ignoring that it's Scouses personal preference.

I can tell by the years of experience with and listening to bullsh*t :giggle:

Fweddy

FH is my second home
I thought one of the big plus points of recumbents was meant to be that you naturally look forward instead of more towards the ground so you can see further ahead more easily? A guy I sometimes see on my commute has one and he reckons the biggest risk comes from being less visible because the bulk of you is lower to the ground where people aren't used to looking. He stuck a little flag on a pole on his to help get round that.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I daresay it can. But look at it. Can it turn as quickly and as stably as a normal bike? Of course not - obviously - because your body mass is spread laterally rather than over a more centralised location.

And you're not going to be bunny-hopping up a kerb to avoid a retard driver from the right who's not seen you. For a start - your legs are in front of you so there's no jumping action to be had....

Great commuter bike - for somewhere there's zero traffic or hazards.

My problems with them are that they are more difficult to spot in the blindzone or rearwindows of the car.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
So what? It's less maneuverable - that's what. You're avoiding talking about the inability to redistribute weight.

I don't see the ability to redistribute weight as being even slightly important. When I ride I sit on the saddle. I sit slightly further back when I'm climibing, maybe a couple of inches. That's it. I don't climb out of the saddle, it's a waste of energy.

If you want manoeuvrability, buy a BMX.

You're a bit defensive about it Tom. All I've said is that *I* don't like 'em because they're not as maneuverable. You're acting like I shot yer cat ;)

I genuinely think you don't really know what you're talking about Scouse.

Unless the "shit" is being broadsided by an articulated lorry you could have avoided by a quick hop onto the pavement with the added maneuverability of a normal bike ;)

You're off your trolley if you think a road bike can easily hop up a kerb to avoid being broadsided by a HGV. The reality of that situation would be that you'd clip the kerb and fall sideways onto the pavement. Which is absolutely what would happen on a recumbent, except on the latter you'd hurt yourself a whole lot less. Mind you, on a recumbent you'd be cycling a hell of a lot faster and that HGV probably wouldn't even figure.

DaGaffer

Of the bike on its own probably, of the bike plus rider, I really doubt it. The seat is entirely above the wheels and so, effectively, is the rider, so its inherently top-heavy, unlike a conventional bike where the weight of the rider's legs move the centre of mass below the centreline (although admittedly the centre of mass moves more, which creates its own issues), or even a lot of recumbents where the seat is actually between, rather than above the wheels. Looking on the Challenge bikes website, it looks even more scary with someone actually riding it:
www_challengebikes_com_seiran_detail.jpg

Tom

I am a FH squatter
You know those aren't 700c wheels, right? Do you think Bromptons are scary?

Lower centre of gravity, less height to fall and injure yourself, feet-first impacts (not over the handlebars and thus head-first impacts), better braking, can turn and pedal at the same time, more comfortable on long journies, not forced to look down all the time. And a hell of a lot faster than an upright.

You guys be scared, carry on riding your weapons of ass destruction :) I don't give a fuck, I want one and I'm getting one.

DaGaffer

You know those aren't 700c wheels, right? Do you think Bromptons are scary?

Lower centre of gravity, less height to fall and injure yourself, feet-first impacts (not over the handlebars and thus head-first impacts), better braking, can turn and pedal at the same time, more comfortable on long journies, not forced to look down all the time. And a hell of a lot faster than an upright.

You guys be scared, carry on riding your weapons of ass destruction :) I don't give a fuck, I want one and I'm getting one.

I know they're smaller wheels, I also think you don't understand anything about polar moments of inertia.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You can't discuss anything with Tom J Rimmer folks, he thinks he is right regardless of any facts or differing opinions.

Embattle

FH is my second home
what did you decide on then ? I've also looked at the source 11 "with belt"
the chap at the store said that performance wise you get jack squat with a belt.

the price seemed....not worth it compared to the Source expert

I got the Trek Soho Deluxe which also uses the hub gear system, I just wanted something that didn't require the same amount of maintenance as my off roader. I know however they stopped doing the deluxe version this year in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom