LCD television woes

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
Okay I bought a Ferguson 32 inch LCD tv, and in the shop the picture looked good and even the black border around a reduced image looked okay (I believe blacks are hard to get on LCD TVs).

So my new tv arrives and after plugging it in I can see what appearsa to be the back lighting at the edges where the screen meets the surround. Since this wasnt evident in the shop either its qa connection issue, set adjustment issue or the TVs a dud. Does anyone have experience either with this make or the sort of problem Im having?

Any helps appreciated.

Saw

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
My TFT does that and LCD TV's do it, you're seeing the backlight.

However, it's a lot more noticeable on a totally 'black' screen in the dark (the screen actually looks dark grey) than just every day viewing. Chances are it was probably brightly lit in the shop?

Not a QA/fault.

G

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
It could well be a QA issue, most units use a cathode to illuminate the panel and the 'limelight' effect you're describing is generally only seen on the really cheap or faulty models.

Best to google and find a few reviews, see if anyone else has seen the same in a controlled testing environment, if you can't see anyone else with the same issues get onto your supplier and/or the manufacturer.

old.user4556

I disagree mate, I've seen this too many times on LCD TV's and on my 17" and 19" TFTs. However, it could be a QA issue if it's very bright, it'll be hard to say if it is for sure or if it isn't without seeing it.

Any chance of a pic Sawtooth?

Failing that, take it back to the shop and get a second opinion.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Q: Is it supposed to do it?

A: No - take it back and demand a replacement.

old.user4556

Whether or not it's supposed to or not, you can see it on some LCD screens. Like I say, both my TFTs have this "glow" which is slightly brighter around the edge of the screen.

However I do agree you should take it back.

old.user4556

For info on the "brighter at the edges" issue:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-110684.html - glowing edges on a Thompson

I just got a thomson 27" after a lot of net research. I avoided the LG 30" and the phillips 23" as I heard they both have a problem with light bleeding around the edges and guess what? The Thomson does it too!

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155 - glowing edges on a Hitachi

The question i have is that i bought it Last week but have noticed that there is brightness in the corners although it being feint, but noticeble.

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=155 - Glowing edges on a Sony

My Sony KLV26HG2 has a mildly irritating uneven backlight problem. Basically I get lighter patches in the top right, and less annoying ones in the top left and bottom right.

Will three examples be enough or will I dig up some more? :p

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
Finding examples of people having similar problems doesn't in any way imply that how it "should be". We've got 5 TFTs in the house, and an LCD TV in the bedroom none of which show such uneven lighting. One of the TFT screens is about 3 years old too - so if they can get it right 3 years back why not now?

It's very british to presume that just because someone else is experiencing the same or similar problems that it's OK ;)

old.user4556

You're right mate, it doesn't conclusively prove that it's a 'one size fits all' issue across the board. However it goes to show that Sawtooth's case of uneven lighting (particularly at the edges) is not a one off issue and that it's well known that some panels suffer from it.

Subsequently, returning to the shop is the best idea as Sawtooth might be able to exchange it for a panel/make that's known to have no issues.

What i'm trying to get across is that this does happen with LCD TVs and that it's not a unique, one off QA problem. However (as I say), to rule it out that this particular set is knacked then, get it back to the shop. I daresay out of good customer service they would replace/exchange it since it's quite an expensive piece of kit.

Oh, and you know i'm Scottish btw ;).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
It sounds unacceptable to me. The end result is, if customers refuse to accept such dodgy screens, the shops stop selling them, and the manufacturer pulls their trousers up and makes them properly.

If it wasn't evident in the shop, and the salesman didn't warn you of this problem, take it back.

old.user4556

True Tom; personally in my own humble opinion, if I was buying a TV it would be a plasma because I think that LCD TVs aren't good at all.

Infact front projection all the way for movies, but i'm bound to be biased ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom