LCD screens

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I don't know about deals, but the refresh rate problem doesn't really exist in the higher end models anymore as far as I'm converned. I've used an LG L1715S and that's yummy, also a couple of iiama's that have been tasty.

The new Xerox ones (glass front) seem to be yummy too, except you get loads of reflections (same as the X-Black or equivalant laptop screens).

So basically, goto a shop that's designed for gamers as they'll list decent monitors, pick one you like with a low refresh - then go buy it from somewhere cheap.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
SAS said:
My monitor is starting to fail and after looking around I'm tempted by an LCD screen.

For example: http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/hardware/monitorsanddisplays/productView.htm?quicklinx=3szn&mc=5

But, as a gamer there is some problems with refresh rates with LCD screens when they first came out. Are there any problems with the newer models? Also are there good deals out there (one above is £179)?

Avoid. If you're going to play games on an LCD you want DVI input. You also want to look for fast response times, the fastest are down to >12ms or even less now, but anything less than 20ms is good for most games (you've also got to strike a balance between their fitness for purpose for gaming and use in other apps like DVD playback; low response can hurt here.) Tom's Hardware has pretty good guides on what to look for.

Personally, I've had a Viewsonic VX912 for about 9 months and its fantastic. Its been replaced by an even faster one now though. As for good deals, there are 19" monitors with DVI and 12ms response times on the market for £200-£220 now, although I couldn't vouch for their quality and I think the decent quality screens (like my Viewsonic and Sony X-Blacks for instance) are still £300+

Clown

Part of the furniture
Words.

VGA-only monitors seem to perform MUCH better than using VGA on a DVI (or dual input) monitor. Ghosting is pretty much a user issue. Some people are happy with 20ms response time and some people still find ghosting on 8ms screens. X-glass screens are yummy too, but it's one of those things that either you love or hate.

You might find some problems with refresh rate, only if you demand to play games with V-sync on. Most monitors only allow 60Hz with DVI input, and probably 85Hz with VGA, and locking the fps to 60 on certain games will just annoy you.

Have a look at the stickied thread on the Overclockers forum. They have a big thread dedicated to reviews of the main moitors.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
I will never, ever, ever use an LCD ever again for gaming. It is just too painful. Get a good gfx card so you can run in native res, and if you can tolerate the ghosting then it is up to you. CRT for me, forever!

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Bought myself a Samsung SyncMaster 913B here at work, and I do think it's rather sweet. Considering getting one for home/gaming use. Not expensive either.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
You also need to bear in mind that DVI gives a much more faithful representation of the image (no digital>analogue>digital conversion, and of course you get errors with every conversion), but, as Clown says, you are limited to 60fps (some newer ones do 85fps, but they are pricey), but if you turn AA up to the max it shouldn't really matter too much. I can't see much difference between 60 fps and 90fps anyway!

The other thing you need to consider with TFT screens is the savings you'll eventually make, in:

1) Electricity, they consume about 1/4 of the electricity a CRT monitor does, so if you're a big computer user it will probably pay for itself over a couple of years (also it means they throw out less heat, so you may have to turn the heating up a bit in the winter, but it will be easier in the summer)
2) Space, they take up about 1/4 of the space as well, so you can look at the type of desk you have (I went from a standard office desk to a nice glass and aluminium jobby)

Another advantage of TFT screens is the clarity of the image, sometimes it's amazing to see the difference side to side with a CRT monitor (obviously this also helps with eyestrain).

The xerox screens look decent and a good buy (£250+VAT for a 19" with good performance). I have an x-black monitor and you won't notice any reflections when it's on unless you have a *very* powerful light in the room.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have an Iiyama Prolite H481S, and tbh I think it's fab.

on the box it says 8ms cycles, which ofc as with *every* tft is a load of cack, but it does give an indication of how fast it could be in the real world. to hazard a guess I'd say that realistic times would be around the 20~30ms mark. there are programs that can test that btw, but it depends on how it feels for you. also it does every mode between 60 and 75Hz from 800x600 to it's native rez of 1280x1024 in 8, 16 or 32bits colour. it's crystal clear, and especially so when playing a game in it's native mode. that is sheer bliss I kid you not. I run it DVI, which seems to go well enough, though in all honesty I can't tell much difference except that it seems sharper and that the mode you put it in is always perfectly aligned on screen.

it feels just fine tbh. I have yet to see it ghost, or do anything I don't particualrly like, and I play everything from RPG to FPS like BF2. it's very bright, so much that at first it was a bit like a tanning lamp to me but I'm used to it now. the thing you have to watch for is colour depth imo. get a tft that has as much contrast range as you can afford. the very first thing my gf said when she saw it was how much space it saved on my desk (not that you can tell), the second was that it looked a bit bland colour-wise to her (after being used to my crt). me too tbh, but I've fiddled with it and gotten it about as good as I can get it. it's all a matter of taste imo.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
inactionman said:
1) Electricity, they consume about 1/4 of the electricity a CRT monitor does, so if you're a big computer user it will probably pay for itself over a couple of years (also it means they throw out less heat, so you may have to turn the heating up a bit in the winter, but it will be easier in the summer)

I'd say that CRT monitors cost less to buy and more to run, and when the costs eventually meet and LCD begins to show it's cost-effectiveness, that it will have a few dead pixels as well as evenness/brightness issues. A good CRT will last a long, long time, and can even be repaired.
I'm looking forward to some of the new monitor technologies - have a read of dan's data.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Mazling said:
I'd say that CRT monitors cost less to buy and more to run, and when the costs eventually meet and LCD begins to show it's cost-effectiveness, that it will have a few dead pixels as well as evenness/brightness issues. A good CRT will last a long, long time, and can even be repaired.
True, except that very few companies make good CRT's these days, the margins just aren't good enough. We've basically got 3 or 4 factories in China making the tubes for basically everyone (fairly similar for LCD, but at least some margins are there so you'll get different quality panels).

So you'll probably get problems on the CRT shortly after the LCD, and by then either a new type of monitor will be out, or LCD's will be a hell of a lot cheaper! Plus the way oil prices are going, I'd rather have energy efficiency at the moment.

It's all down to personal preference! If you want a cheap good display, get CRT, but it costs a lot to run, whereas LCD is the opposite.

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
It's true that there is a lot of cheap crap about these days. When the new tech appears, selling off your - by then, old - monitor will be difficult either way, though I'd expect it to be slightly easier offloading an LCD in decent working condition.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
I have an Iiyama Prolite H481S, and tbh I think it's fab.

Got mine on TdC recommendation, and it is, as the man says, fab.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
TFT for the win! Just for the space saving, the lack of eye strain. And if you get a decent one your not going to miss your crt.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
I found my newish 4ms SM930BF LCD to be superior in most ways to my old SM957MB CRT. Sharper image, more vivid colours making scenes in games more vibrant.

I've spotted a little blurring when doing a high-speed spectator mode strafe in CS:S but so far that's the only game that it happens in, no problems doing drivebys in GTA:SA or BF2. Also very small text might be a little harder to read but that could just be my eyes. Once you've gone flat there's no going back, tbh.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
They both look like good screens, but bear in mind they are both dithering panels (they can't do 32-bit colour, need 16.7 million to do that), but that's the price you have to pay currently to get the refresh rates.

Of the two I'd go for the samsung, as they are generally a better brand.

Sar

Part of the furniture
Mazling said:
I will never, ever, ever use an LCD ever again for gaming. It is just too painful. Get a good gfx card so you can run in native res, and if you can tolerate the ghosting then it is up to you. CRT for me, forever!

Truth!

Also what Maz said about CRTs lasting longer than God himself is true. This CRT I have is a Dell 1025HE, and it's celebrating it's 8th birthday this year.

It's older than my daughter ffs, and she's in P4!

That and it's still performing superbly, with no faults at all.

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
My brothers viewsonic 19" has a 3ms response time. Its amazing. Colours are so crisp and bright. Have a look at Viewsonic. I really recommend them.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
managed to get one - will wait and see what its like (due for delivery on Monday)

£163

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
MON-TFT-1918.jpg

http://www.aria.co.uk/productinfocomm.asp?ID=17020&SpecialStatus=1

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Hate to say this Laz, but Digiwho? With things as important as a monitor, I would never buy anything that isnt from one of the main manufacturers.

Dommers

Fledgling Freddie
Well, with the reviews posted underneath everyone seems happy enough. Looks ugly imo.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
Ch3tan said:
Hate to say this Laz, but Digiwho? With things as important as a monitor, I would never buy anything that isnt from one of the main manufacturers.

Ive seen a few of these about Chets - and i looked at the reviews before I splashed out my dough (in good old honest Scottish Tradition)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom