Latest Warhammer Preview

Urgat

Part of the furniture
Allready posted in the other warhammer thread, but worth a thread of its own IMO.

But first, a Dark Age of Camelot Update

A note for Camelot fans who cringe at having to read all this: Dark Age of Camelot is great, doing fine, they’re working on an expansion, and they plan on working with you to keep making the game better, more exciting, and more fun to play. There’s a new quest system in the works, a new race and class coming, and most importantly, a new form of RvR gameplay. And their producer said outright, flat out, that Camelot is their flagship product and they plan to keep improving it for years. You guys will have plenty to play for years to come.

Now, “Warhammer Is Batman…”

“Hello,” says the man at the front of the room in a cheerful voice. “I’m from England, where we don’t have technology.” Paul Barnett, Design Manager on Mythic’s upcoming MMO Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning, doesn’t speak traditional MMO-jargon.. The way he talks is very different from what we’re used to, but then, Warhammer Online is going to be very different, and much better, than what we’re used to.

I went to Fairfax as an admitted, even gleeful, skeptic. On the one hand, I played Dark Age of Camelot from the beta well into…let’s just say somewhere between 3 and 4 years are tied up in my account. I know Mythic. I like Mythic. On the other hand, saying the massively multiplayer genre is busy devouring itself like the metaphorical serpent is like saying the sky is blue. Expecting anything new at the moment is just setting yourself up for a Christmas morning-type disappointment, when the big box under the tree turns out to be a sweater. However, on this occasion, I’m willing to make a leap of faith. I think they’ve got what it takes, and I think Warhammer Online is going to be an awesome, amazing product.

So I’m sitting in a conference room with a bunch of other writers, watching as the Design Manager declares, “Warhammer is…Batman!” when something begins to dawn on me. When he makes the Warhammer=Batman analogy make sense (see, there are many different aspects and versions of Batman, but there are still fundamental, basic Tenants of Batman, a spirit of Batman), though, that’s when I realized what it was. This game is fundamentally not like other games, because this team is not like other teams, and their vision is not a The Vision—a club wielded to beat players into submission--no, their vision is a game that is really, really fun to play.

Warhammer Online’s design philosophy is “War is everywhere” and everything you do should help contribute towards the war effort. Warhammer is all about big, sweeping themes. It’s an epic, heroic struggle, perpetual struggle and eternal war, order versus destruction. Consider it a fantasy version of World War II. Even if you’re not out fighting the other side, you’re doing things on the homefront that, ultimately, help contribute to your side’s eventual victory. They’ve built the game around a different mindset. Paul and his team don’t see MMOs as a “game” experience. They see a regular computer game as a packaged experience, i.e., you pick up the box, you play it for 40 or 50 hours, and you put it back on a shelf. The Warhammer team sees their game as more of a hobby experience, built to reward 3 core ideas: Skill, commitment, and imagination.

They see commitment as everything, and not in a time sense—I asked the content team, and there’ll be plenty to do even if you don’t have 8 hours a day to play—but more in a “I’m committed to playing the game and getting better at it” sense. Basically, they want it to be *possible* to play the game eating breakfast, talking on the phone, and shouting to your friend across the room, but it will be much, much more fun to get really into it, learn how to play your character, learn how the skills work, and get really into it. It’s not rewarding based simply on you hanging around for 15 hours a day, it’s rewarding based on how well you learn the game.

Moving down from the higher-level design, we got into the meat of the game itself. Mythic thinks of RvR as the real crown jewel of Camelot, and the RvR system is in full effect in Warhammer, which they think of as the “spiritual sequel” to Camelot. There are 6 sides (elf, dark elf, dwarf, greenskins—orcs and goblins, humans, and Chaos) that are locked in constant battle, and you’re thrown into the conflict from Day 1.

When you’re not running quests to contribute to the war effort, you’re actually out in it killing people. The RvR model from Camelot has been refined and perfected. The six sides are locked into 2 loose alliances of three sides each (elf, dwarf, Empire/humans and dark elf, greenskins, and Chaos), but in the starting areas, you’re going to be facing off against one foe most of the time. For example, we were shown an early version of the orc starting area, where new players would attempt to fend off dwarvish invaders—NPCs and get familiar with the world.

That doesn’t mean that it’s PvE all the time, though, far from it…which isn’t to say there ISN’T PvE. They plan enough content to go from 1 all the way to the max entirely by PvEing…AND enough content to RvR all the way to the top. They’re planning to have 33 playable zones at launch, with 1800 quests scattered across the two alliances (900 each), all of them hand-built from scratch, according Destin Bales, their Content Director. In this case, it didn’t seem like the usual vanity promises of every developer ever. They have those quests (maybe not all 1800 of them) on paper, in big binders, with all the dialogue and stuff detailed. They exist. They showed them to me.

The current quest model is a three tier system. “Green” quests will be PvE only. “Yellow” quests will take place in PvP areas or require you to cross PvP areas, but you don’t have to kill any other players. “Red” quests occur across all levels, take place in PvP areas, and require you to kill other players. All good so far, but the best part is, all PvE quests and all RvR/PvP quests will award players money, items, and experience, making it possible for players to advance however they want. While it is *possible* to do one particular style and never, ever do anything else, the WAR team envisions an 80-20 split in favor of PvE in the early game, slowly shifting to a 20-80 split in favor of PvP in the late game.

Types of quest vary and, again, the theme of conflict prevails. Public Quests are realm wide collaborative efforts, automatically assigned to players, and even though you may not know most of the people in your realm, you’ll be working with them along the way. Conflict Quests put people in a competitive PvE effort, where players from each faction compete to kill the most monsters. In Branching-type quests, players will be able to control their quest reward, choosing an ending that nets them more money or an ending that earns them more experience. And the “Christmas” quests, sure to be a favorite, are designed to encourage exploration because, waiting off the beaten path, are large monetary rewards for what is comparatively little effort.

PvP combat, as I said above, will have quests and content devoted to support it, too. They see skirmish-type gameplay (coming across a guy from the other side and killing him) as a major focus of it, and the “zones” of both sides are designed to encourage this, with lots of areas of overlap and potential PvP—though, notably, there are safe areas for those choosing to opt out—and lots of incentive to get out there and fight. They also plan a number of Battlefield-type quests, which are objective-based battles along the lines of Battlefield 1942. Scenarios are—gasp—instanced scenarios, point-based (like Warhammer itself) objective-based battles with NPCs. Basically, they gave the example of Counterstrike for this, short, fast, team-based scenarios, although critically, teams will be balanced with a Warhammer-style point system, where a Level 50 costs a certain amount of points, and there’s only X number of points allowed in each battle.

Now, the goal of all this is the ongoing war between the factions and, to this end, PvP actually has a purpose. Winning all these quests and battles and scenarios influences who controls each zone and locking down a series of zones enables you to take the enemy’s capitol. The absolute coolest part of this is they plan to let you actually sack the capitol, actually go in, rampage through the streets, kill merchants, and otherwise raise hell. They envision this working like relic raids (if you’re familiar with Camelot), where it’s a big, cooperative push, locking down zone after zone, then charging into the capitol and smashing things up. And the “defending” players will have incentives, besides pride, to push the opposing side out and retake their city. Intense street to street PvP combat for fortune, glory, experience, loot, and money? The description of it sounded like a fantastically good time and I particularly liked that your involvement is very, very important. If they can pull it off the way they describe it, it always feels like you’re doing something meaningful, even if it’s the absolute lowest level quests, which is the kind of thing that could shake the industry. You’re not just killing 27 goblins because that guy over there wants you to, you’re killing 27 goblins because it helps your side gain control of the zone and rampage like a Viking through the streets of the city. Also of interest, every single zone has a backstory, a history behind it, and a reason for existing.

This point in the presentation is when I began to have some problems. I mean, I want to be skeptical. They check your cloak of cynicism at the door to the office, you know, and if you don’t have it, you don’t get into the Writer’s Club. But this sounds so very, very cool that for the first time in a long time, I’m looking forward to the game. It sounds incredible but, you know, I think they can pull it off. Mythic doesn’t talk like other developers, promising the moon and delivering a Moon Pie. Stuff they talked about, I saw in the game when we had some hands-on time.

Now, I don’t know if they can pull it off. Paul Barnett, freelance genius, might be a madman or he might have such a grasp of the systems that he operates on an entirely different level—he was picked by Games Workshop, by the way, to oversee the design, and knows his British miniature games--and I don’t know which level it is. I know this, though: I agreed with just about everything he said, to the point it frightened me, and if he IS the mad Colonel Kurtz in the jungle, then you may officially consider me Dennis Hopper. He’s a poet-warrior in the classic sense, and has fantastic taste in games. Also, I’d like to assure Paul’s mother that he has a job. You can trust me, I’m a writer on the Internet. (Aside to readers: Mothers don’t understand the industry).

Moving on to the class system, Paul and his team are almost throwbacks to another time, sticking to a very simple formula. A guy with a long beard carrying a stick and wearing a pointy hat is probably a wizard. Each race has 4 archetypical classes. He gave the example of dwarves. The dwarves have two fighter classes: Ironbreakers (Defensive fighters) and Hammerers (Offensive fighters), one magic-type class called a Runepriest (Offensive Healer), and an Engineer (likes crazy machines). Each class blend depends on each individual race—like 3 magic users and 1 fighter for more magical races and 3 fighters and 1 magic user for the “soccer hooligan” orcs—but you know your role from day one…however, the career system will allow you to define your character a bit more. You’ll have choices that enhance your effectiveness in the role. Fighters, for example, might pick something to let them fight longer or harder. But you’ll basically be always a fighter (or a magic-user or a healer).

Speaking of fighting, their combat system is remarkably intricate, without being a pain in the backside. They’ve built it around 3 specific phases—as you might expect from complicated turn-based war games—of combat. In the Tactics phase, you pick your tactics. These might be things that help one type of damage, make you move faster, and so on, and different races and classes and levels can do all sorts of different things with tactics and strategies, and learning that seems to make up a big part of the game. The third phase is actual combat, and the skills and combat abilities you can use actually depend on your tactics, rather than being a series of buttons you click on and sigh about, because it’s the same old thing. We played a hands-on of the combat system and it was an absolute blast. PvP was fun and exciting, drawing lots of swearing and cursing from the assembled writers, as orcs and dwarves battled it out. And it’s going to get better.

Finally, there’s Morale, the really interesting part of the combat system. Morale builds as you fight. The more people in your group, and the more enemies you fight, the faster it builds. The more you win, the faster it builds. Morale skills are really cool things that happen, dramatic, game-changing combat moments that give the game’s battles a real jolt, and the more you build up, the more cool stuff you can do. As you progress through the career system, you may be able to unlock morale skills. Details are hazy at the moment—as you might be able to tell—but it’s based on a very cool old game that I swore I wouldn’t name. Old arcade hands such as myself, though, would be quite pleased to hear it. The design’s influences are some of the best games of all time.

Moving on to the art and graphics, my first impressions were: amazing. The game looks like an epic fantasy game. It feels epic, like you’re taking part in a major story. Now, the obvious comparison is going to be made to World of Warcraft (check who came first, dorks), but Warhammer’s style is entirely different. Yes, orcs are big and green, but they look menacing. They get bigger and stronger as they level. There are an abundance of customization options—for every race, not just orcs—and all sorts of little doodads to put on yourself. We looked at orcs and dwarves, so I’ll use those for examples. Orcs get spikes and blades and skulls of their enemy, all to decorate and distinguish themselves. Dwarves get longer beards and medals and all sorts of things. Basically, the effect is two-fold. On the one hand, your character doesn’t look like every other level 49 your class here out there and on the other hand, it’s possible to tell how powerful someone is simply by glancing at them, without referring to numbers or letters floating over their head or knowing what all the uber gear looks like. If you’re fresh out of the newbie area and see a seven foot orc with skulls dripping off him charging towards you, he’s probably going to kill you in horrible ways. Again, simple, but at the same time, very powerful.

Other graphical firsts include facial animations. Characters now have personality beyond staring blankly ahead and, most importantly, so do enemies and NPCs. There’s a little face-meter at the bottom of your HUD, much like the Doom Marine, and he grimaces and looks excited and otherwise changes expression as you do things. More importantly, so does your avatar. So not only does your character have a personality to you, everyone else sees his or her mood settings and it gives them another element of realism. Overall, their art style tends to favor personality and exaggeration versus realism, but at the same time, none of the art should ever be boring. Their artist even said “You should always have something interesting to look at” and it really showed in the game itself. We were cut loose in the dwarf-orc area, and came across floating ironclad ships, an aerodrome of some kind, orc hovels, spooky old towers, ruins, statues, little castles and towns, and just like they’d said, we had lots of fun exploring. Someone would find something interesting and we’d all scurry over and look at it, then wander off our own separate ways until we found something else. Even at this very early stage, those two zones felt very organic and alive and, just as they said, something new and interesting was just over the horizon. And they haven’t unveiled most of their races or zones. Chaos’ lands are going to be amazing, and I say that without seeing them at all.

Now you see my dilemma. So much is under wraps—a lot of the game—that I don’t really want to make a proclamation….but on the other hand, I believe in this team and I think they can deliver something amazing. So, time for a leap of faith, based on what I know about Mythic and what I saw last week. Warhammer Online is definitely one to put on your watch list, and if the game is as amazing as they make it sound, we’ve got an early contender for game of the year. Personally, I love the design principles behind it—making a game fun, making PvP meaningful, making you feel like you’re part of a much larger whole—so much that I’m going to buy it simply because more games should be made by teams this good, with this kind of focus on meaningful player experience.

Read it and drool.

If mythic delivers what it is talking about, (and there is no reason it shouldn't... since much of what they have discussed is allready in the alpha version) then W.A.R. is going to be one of the strongest MMO's out there.

Garok

Can't get enough of FH
Finally, there’s Morale, the really interesting part of the combat system. Morale builds as you fight. The more people in your group, and the more enemies you fight, the faster it builds. The more you win, the faster it builds.

The only thing I would be concerned about is that like WOW PvP @ top level will be either Instance farming or some giant zerg fest.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
why do people have such an aversion to zerg type games, there are plenty of games on the market that currently limit players to a set number.

However when you have lots of people online at the same time everyone starts screaming and crying about the whole zerg fest.

yes i understand some peoples computers just cant handel a lot of data on screen and hopefully mythic will address this without requiring us to ring up nasa to see if we can borrow their computer.

I enjoy zergs i dislike instances or limited number encounters.

zergs can be fun.

Light

Loyal Freddie
On the one hand, your character doesn’t look like every other level 49 your class here out there and on the other hand, it’s possible to tell how powerful someone is simply by glancing at them, without referring to numbers or letters floating over their head or knowing what all the uber gear looks like. If you’re fresh out of the newbie area and see a seven foot orc with skulls dripping off him charging towards you, he’s probably going to kill you in horrible ways. Again, simple, but at the same time, very powerful.

cool :>

sneakies

Fledgling Freddie
Sounds ace!

I'd like to see nothing more than a hoarde of a hundred go up against a village with the same amount of defender and slug it out! Sounds like some fantastic ideas and i am looking foward to it!

Golena

Fledgling Freddie
Awarkle said:
why do people have such an aversion to zerg type games, there are plenty of games on the market that currently limit players to a set number.

zergs can be fun.

The main problem with zergs is unless the game is designed very very well around them there's not a great deal of satisfaction to be gained.

Take zergs in DaoC, for the most part what happens is you run about nuking/hitting stuff until you become a target at which point you insta die. While I agree that it can be all good fun, after a short while the novelty starts to wear off. Playing a support class in those kind of situations tends to revolve around rezzing the insta-gibbed and rebuffing them ready to go again.

If the game is designed so you feel like your actually working as part of a team of 100 people (like doing ML9.10 in a BG but against other players, there's lots of people there but they all have to play an important part to succeed) then yes it could be great fun. If it's a run about randomly mashing on stuff then die affair, then it's going to have a rather limited life of being fun.. In order to keep playing a game I think most people want to actually feel that it takes some (even if it's not much) skill, and that they couldn't achieve the same effects by getting a trained monkey to sit at the keyboard and mash buttons with it's head.

Aeris

Fledgling Freddie
new race and class for daoc? class as in singular? ie one?

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN !!??

ceixava

Fledgling Freddie
what im afraid of is the instanced pvp

it totally killed WoW for me

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
Golena said:
If the game is designed so you feel like your actually working as part of a team of 100 people (like doing ML9.10 in a BG but against other players, there's lots of people there but they all have to play an important part to succeed) then yes it could be great fun. If it's a run about randomly mashing on stuff then die affair, then it's going to have a rather limited life of being fun.. In order to keep playing a game I think most people want to actually feel that it takes some (even if it's not much) skill, and that they couldn't achieve the same effects by getting a trained monkey to sit at the keyboard and mash buttons with it's head.
Agreed. Planetside is the one game I've played that did a great job at that, but its an FPS, not RPG.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
Aeris said:
new race and class for daoc? class as in singular? ie one?

WHEN WILL THEY LEARN !!??

maybe they will add it for mid so they have the same number of classes as everyone else, i just pray its not some insta lajftap class :/

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Golena said:
The main problem with zergs is unless the game is designed very very well around them there's not a great deal of satisfaction to be gained.

Zerging can be fun in daoc :) but random headless bg tends to be somewhat like what you described.

If you get an organised force though it's challenging and fun - even if it is 3-5fg.

Relic raids for example are (apart from the lag ;)) good fun partly because there are so many of you working towards that goal.

Serdan

Fledgling Freddie
At the moment latest WAR preview is this one, actually: :)

http://pc.ign.com/articles/707/707529p1.html

The first, the Goblin Shaman offers the Greenskins their only outlet for magic use, while the Goblin Squig Herder serves as more of a pet-oriented class. Rather than taking on a more predictable route, the Squig Herder has a unique method of creating and controlling the ravenous balls of meat that are Warhammer's Squigs.

When the herder creates a Squig, the Squig is so ungrateful that he actually eats his master. From inside the Squig's stomach, the herder can now poke and prod the Squig's brain to control his actions. For the most part this will involve a lot of jumping around and biting things. There area few specialized Squigs however; the battle ball Squig will roll over its opponents American Gladiator style. Once a Squig is killed, he spits out the poor herder who is then free to carry on as usual.

Wicked!

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
I'm really looking forward to the "Realm" orientated content. The public quests sound great :D Quests to aid the realm as a whole in the PvP war sound great as well (I know you kinda get them in DAOC).

Cadiva

Part of the furniture
Am I the only one wishing it were 2007 already. I just cannot wait for this to come out having been a Games Workshop fan since the days of HeroQuest :)

Vasconcelos

Part of the furniture
Main problem imo:

Just 2 sides of the conflict. BAD BAD BAD BAD. Will turn like WoW'ish instanced pvp, aka shiit (Alterac Valley being one of te worst crap ive ever played).

Combat system, n small PvE required grinding sounds very good tho. When i buy this type of mmorpg i aim to just spend some sessions on pve to gear my toon up n then go have the real phun at pvp.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Vasconcelos said:
Main problem imo:

Just 2 sides of the conflict. BAD BAD BAD BAD. Will turn like WoW'ish instanced pvp, aka shiit (Alterac Valley being one of te worst crap ive ever played).

Not all pvp grounds will be instanced, just the ones where balance is critical, as far as i understand it. Their design philosophy seems to be to not force players into a certain playstyle, so i doubt they will make it like in WoW where you have to grind instanced pvp to advance. Unlike Blizzard, Myhtic knows how to make rvr areas that support hundreds of people in one zone, and dont have to make up excuses to force people into dedicated battleground zones to keep their servers from crashing every hour.

Chimaira

Can't get enough of FH
I quit Mmo´s.... oh wait...Sounds awesome. cant wait to run around with a giant Orc.. :)

Bikkus

Fledgling Freddie
Following reviews like this I wonder if the GOA sphincter is beginning to twitch.

Could WAR be "The One"?

eble

Fledgling Freddie
some RVR info I've found out at:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/page_the_war_guide.html

found this on the RVR section under the War Guide:

Q. What type of RvR system will there be?
A. While the entire game will revolve around the overall RvR war, the core of RvR combat will be made up of four types of encounters, including skirmishes, battlefields, scenarios, and campaigns.

Q. What are skirmishes?
A. Skirmishes are where two people or groups or whatever stumble upon each other in the middle of a PvP zone and start fighting.

Q. What are battlefields?
A. Battlefields: these are basically hotspots in a PvP area to which players will naturally be drawn. For example, there'll be a ruined Dwarf village that may have some resources that are valuable to both sides. Players will be fighting to control these resources.

Q. What are scenarios?
A. Scenerios are instanced open RvR combat. The battles here are quick, repeatable, last about five or ten minutes, and will be objective-based, using many of the basic paradigms of CTF, Deathmatch, King of the Hill, et al. The overall victor of a scenario will gain control of the entire zone (Skirmishes and Battlefield victories will come into play).

Q. What are campaigns?
A. The Campaign is at the heart of the game. In the fourth tier of zones lies a capital city for each front, and the objective, as you may imagine, is to take over the opponent's capital and kill the leader and everyone else there (via scenarios). Afterward the victors will retain control for some arbitrary time, say 24 hours, during which they may pillage and plunder to their hearts' content. After that period of time, the game rebalances, forces you out of the city, and resets ownership of all the different maps, and the battle begins anew.

Q. Will the forces of Order be able to talk with the forces of Destruction?
A. Unlikely. True inter-realm communication will not be possible.

Q. How will the combat system work?
A. Combat in WAR will be based around the concepts of Attacks, Tactics and Morale.

Q. What are Tactics?
A. Tactics are abilities and bonuses which are chosen before entering into a fight. Each character will have a Strategy bar with a certain amount of slots, into which the chosen Tactics are added. As characters advance they can increase the number of slots on their Strategy bar and gain new Tactics.

Q. What is Morale?
A. Morale skills are learned as characters advance according to their career. Once a fight has started a character's Morale meter starts to fill up if the fight is going well or if they are part of a large group. Morale can also decrease for losing fights. Once the Morale meter has filled up enough, players can use Morale skills to have an effect on the fight.

Q. Will characters be able to take part in mounted combat?
A. Certain careers (e.g. Knights) may possibly gain the ability to fight from horseback. Very little is known on this subject at the time.

so not all instanced action, some but not all.

Eble

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Been reading the forums and there is still much confusion on characters and leveling (no levels??). Still a long way to go before we know what the chars and combat systems will be like.

Anyone know if Mythic made any noises about Euro servers and where they will be?

Jeremiah

Fledgling Freddie
Hawkwind said:
Anyone know if Mythic made any noises about Euro servers and where they will be?

IIRC, Mythic will be running the Euro servers as well (and opening up an office in Europe too!). Must admit tho, my memory is rather hazy, I might have just read it on another thread :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom