Latest trial site!

L

L_Plates

Hello again i did have some forums up today but i realized the host was very poor , so i have sorted out another host and hopefuly there will be forums up within the next 2 days.

Also i have got the site a Games admin who will be:

1. Keeping us upto date on all updates to our favourite mods and games.

2. Helping us out with were we can get loads of goodies from like maps, rcon proggys, skins and all that kind off stuff.

He knows the in's and out's of it. Join #gbr on quakenet.eu.org he will know more. his name is Mat.

Anything you want to know ask him or myself.

Thanks all.

1tchy trigger

The web homepage is too wide - i.e. a portion of it disappears off the screen @ 1024x786 - and I pity anyone who trys to view it in 800x600 (yes there are some believe it or not) - either fix the absolute width to about 770 max or set it to a percentage of the scrren size. You may have to tweak your design to incorporate this suggestion.

Also - use some cellpadding in your main text table - 2 or 3 should do it.

(If I'm being really picky...) If you have large areas of text I would use a font that's easier on the eyes - verdana/tahoma/arial or something - yes they are broing but much easier on the eye

Logo at the top blurs into the background - I'd try to make it stand out more.

Nice clean layout though.

L

L_Plates

I was just worried that if, I made the site suitable for 800/600 that it would look squashed. I have changed the font on text just havn't uploaded yet.

Also if i use someones mysql account for my forums. Do they need more than 1 database from there host. Or can we both use the same?

J

Jonty

You can both use the same database (providing there's enough space) and simply prefix the tables differently so you know what's what.

Or, you can head over to <noname> sql and sign up for a free MySQL database. It's a project DBs dreamed up to provide free, high quality, MySQL database solutions for the masses. He did all the amazingly clever backend stuff, and I simply wrote the frontend for the site. <noname> sql is in no way associated with BarrysWorld, hence that's why we've never really mentioned it, but it's there if you need it. And it's extremely good, too, not that I'm biassed ;) So good, in fact, that if you're feeling plush, you can make a donation to fund the service's expansion and gain our lasting gratitude :)

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. Just a side note, your BarrysWorld MySQL database should never be shared with any other project or website other than the BarrysWorld site it is associated with. I'm not pointing fingers, but it is in the terms and conditions and must be brought to everyone's attention. Thanks :)

1tchy trigger

example.jpg

Areas in red and orange where you can easily trim the site back - and hey I don't make up the rules I just abide by them - you look at any website in the world - it's either fixed width 770px or less (or made up of data areas adding up to this width) or set as a percentage of the screen size - either way they run on 800x600

L

L_Plates

Tnx ill have a look at trimming down the site.

And ill have a look at the mysql aswell. Thanks again :)

How do i prefix the tables ?

J

Jonty

Most modern forums (and other PHP/MySQL applications for that matter) come with some form of install program. It's at this point that you are given the option to prefix the tables (i.e. phpbb2_mytablename). It's not absolutely vital, but it simply helps to differentiate one table from the next in a crowded database.

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

Yes, although I'd stick another underscore on the end (i.e. phpbb_v2_). Say you have x number of tables, members, posts etc. these then become phpbb_v2_members, phpbb_v2_posts etc. When sorted alphabetically, it becomes clear what tables belong to which application and, where the database is shared, which user.

Kind Regards

L

L_Plates

Ok all sorted forums and ready to go feel free to spam away, thanks for all your help :)

Utilities link in sig :)

L

L_Plates

Mr.47 what u mean ?

The klink in my sig works .

M

Mr. 47

why not merge the banner at the top with the empty space either side of it...

L

L_Plates

Well i have done it again. I have changed the website to match up with the forums a bit better. Im so fussy :)

Have a look around and i hope you like what you see.

Thanks peeps :)

Link in sig !

L

L_Plates

More downloads added and more on Sunday after me lan :)

J

Jonty

Bonjour

Just to let you know that the above page seems to work okay for me (Windows XP SP1, IE6 SP1). A dialogue box script error would suggest a problem with any JavaScript or other such client-side scripting. Sometimes this can be simply down to a dodgy data stream which prevents the browser from executing the code correctly. Does the page work without error if refreshed?

Kind Regards

U

[UKLans]Khan

Hello,

Got home an tried it here, when you click to download it comes up with a Javascript error, at home I've got:

Win XP SP1
IE 6 SP1 etc etc

The script error does not appear until I actually click the link to download. I'm on a modem here and a 8MB leased line at work so it can't be the connection.

Thanks,

Khan

J

Jonty

Hi

My apolgies, it seems it is just that first link, since the others all appear to link offsite. Hopefully it won't be too hard to fix.

Kind Regards

Jonty

P.S. That error I described above is purely random, it's even happened to me on my 100Mb/s LAN connection. But it's apparently not the issue here :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom