Latest trial site!

L

L_Plates

Just thought id post this its on my portfolio links ion sig. Still alot to do though ill admit that. Any comments ideas?

Feel free to sign up to the site

Trial site

I have 3 sites they are all linked from my portfolio in my sig!

M

Mr. 47

please change the colour, it hurts.

and the title says template

L

L_Plates

Ok colours have changed slightly. But the pages are designed from a template how the hell do i change that ?

T

Testin da Cable

if you vote, the popup you get is smaller than the text it contains :)

M

Mr. 47

Originally posted by L_Plates
Ok colours have changed slightly. But the pages are designed from a template how the hell do i change that ?

right,
open the sight in Notepad and in the <head> section there will be Template written between 2 <title> tags, change it to V2's utilities or something equally suiable and hey presto... its alive!!!muhahahahahahaha!!!!!!

L

L_Plates

All done with the page names thanks alot.

As for the poll pop ull only see that once anyways , bu t i willlook into it for yeh :)

D

danger

AARRRRGHHH MY EYES.... I AM TEH G0n3 B1ind0r!

Ouch that's a really bright shade of blue as the backgroud... no chance of toning it down slightly?

L

L_Plates

Hehe sorry m8 i should warn you all b4 u go in :D

Ill sort it tomoz m8 , many ppl have said its bright. ill sort it honest ill let you all know so then you an give me your verdict :D

L

L_Plates

Ok i just change the blue is that any better on the eyes ?

W

Will

Still a bit bright, though it isn't going to kill me...and useful isn't spelt usefule.;)

M

Mr. 47

have you tried this in differnt browsers???

and the title isn't anything speshal is it???

W

Will

The background colour in the poll pop-up is far nicer.

U

[UKLans]Khan

The color is far better. If I were you I would have a look at the banner text and graphic again. Try using Photoshop or Fireworks to make new ones that are clearer.

Khan

T

Testin da Cable

just to keep you at it...I'd never use flash for navigation buttons ;)

L

L_Plates

Yeh i know as some ppl disable the option, im in the process of changing that one aswell

M

Mr. 47

i noticed the use of .jpg's for .gif applications

L

L_Plates

correct only use JPG's for photos and everting else is a gif am i correct ?

J

Jonty

Originally posted by L_Plates
correct only use JPEG's for photos and everything else is a gif am i correct ?

Yes and no :) The essential difference between JPEGs and GIFs comes down to the following:

• Colour Palette : A JPEG can store up to 16.7 million colours, thus permitting the recreation of photo-quality images. A GIF can only store up to 256 colours from a palette specially adapted to the image.
  • File Size : A JPEG, having a larger colour palette, tends to produce larger file sizes. It is possible to compress JPEGs to reduce the size, but compress them too far and the image quality will deteriorate. GIFs cannot be compressed, although their palette can be reduced to only the colours it needs.
  • Transparency and Animation : JPEGs cannot be transparent, nor can they be animated. GIFs can support transparency, and also permit simple animation by storing multiple images in one file and streaming them in quick succession to create the illusion of movement

There are other things, but that is really what it all comes down to. Now there is another format, PNG, which attempts to combine the best of both worlds. It has a full 16.7 million adaptive colour palette, and it supports transparency and even alpha blending, which is a very advanced technique. The only downside is that most modern browsers do not fully support the open standard, especially the transparency modes, though they can handle simple images well (http://www.w3.org/Graphics/PNG/)

Kind Regards

L

L_Plates

Ok flash buttons have gone. Now im in search of some easy forums anyone got any suggestions ?

L

L_Plates

Ok all flash has gone. Now im in search of some forums anyone got any ideas of what is the best to use ?

J

Jonty

As Mr/47 kindly pointed out, PHPBB is one of the most popular forums here on BarrysWorld. Alternatives include YaBB and Invision Board. Basically, any forum which utilises PHP and MySQL should run perfectly well here on BarrysWorld, the ones above (especially PHPBB) being the 'tried and tested' ones used the most by the community.

Kind Regards

L

L_Plates

what is the mysql setting on that PHPBB coz i aint got a clue what to do :(

J

Jonty

This?

• Default board language English
  • Database Type MySQL 4.x
  • Choose your installation method Install Upgrade
  • Database Server Hostname / DSN localhost
  • Your Database Name Your hosted site name (i.e. http://www.mysite.barrysworld.net would mean your site name is mysite)
  • Database Username Your hosted site name (as above)
  • Database Password Your hosted site password (i.e. the password you use to FTP to your site)
  • Prefix for tables in database Anything you like which lets you know that the tables it creates a associated with PHPBB (i.e. 'phpbb2_' (without the '' quotes) is a common prefix)
  • Admin Email Address Your e-mail address (doesn't have to be an @barrysworld.com email address if you don't have one)
  • Domain Name Not too sure about this, having never been asked fr one myself when using scripts like PHPBB. It may refer to your hosted site address, in which case use 'http://hosted.barrysworld.net/mysite' (without the '' quotes). If there's a default, just using that should be fine.
  • Server Port If there is a default value, use that. Otherwise, try '21' (without the '' quotes) but that is just an educated guess.
  • Script path Again, just an educated guess, try '/websites/hosted/mysite/myphpbbfolder' (no '' quotes). If there is a default, just use that.
  • Administrator Username Finally, something simple :) The username which you wish to be know by, or the username of the person who will have absolute control over all aspects of the board.
  • Administrator Password Any password you wish to have
  • Administrator Password [ Confirm ] As above

Edit - I have been meaning to update this information for a while now, so some of it may be incorrect. If there are default values which seem to make sense, go with them instead of the above.

L

L_Plates

yep thats the one thanks m8. Just found out the m8 that has give me hosting has only one MYSQL account and its in use :rolleyes:

But thanks for the help i have added to notepad for future reference :)

M

Mr. 47

you can still use it...

just as long as you don't over right his tables it'll be OK

I'm running about 4 sites off of my MySQL account...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom