Laser weapon

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
Wow... this video is a jaw dropper. I didn't realize that weapon technology was that advanced already.

What's next? A death star??

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Excuse my ignorance but wouldnt that thing poke aliens in space if there were any?

Dangerous!

Tilda

I dont know if I believe it or not :p

Doomy said:
Excuse my ignorance but wouldnt that thing poke aliens in space if there were any?

Dangerous!

No, this is the problem the US has been having problems with their current "Star wars" thing.
As a laser is shone through the atmosphere, it diffuses, although it may start at 1cm wide and be super concentrated, by the time it gets to the hight of a jumbo-jet, its spread to over 1meter. This means the energy imparted per square cm is far less, so you need an increasingly powerful and focussed laser the higher you try to shoot stuff.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Or (in the case of the star wars program) the lower you try to shoot stuff :)

Doomy

Fledgling Freddie
Ok now im at ease thanks. I guess theyll only be blowing up planet sized things then in space.

:mad:

Gray

FH is my second home
Unless the Planet they are aimming for has a huge fuckoff mirror, then Earth maybe in a teeeny bit of trouble..

Uncle Sick

One of Freddy's beloved
nath said:
Hmm - why don't I believe that? :\

Hehe... hard to believe, isn't it?

If you check the link, though - it's Northrop/Grumman's website.
It's for real. That's the scary part.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The real scary part is in the end:

"Getting the worlds fastest weapon, into the hands of the worlds best fighters."

Eep :eek6:

Im covering my house with mirrors.

Escape

Can't get enough of FH
It's fake, there isn't a red beam or anything :/

Tenko

Fledgling Freddie
A tactical laser weapon? Been talking about it for ages especially in reference to point defence on ships who have more power available than other platforms but there's lots of prototype laser weapons around from field portable to tank size (Plus microwave and electrical weapons, Joy! :p )

Check out Boeings Airborne Laser

300 mile range shot on a hypersonic target, battlefield balistic defence system. Thats a great BFG.

The completed weapon is pretty much at the integration stage. Think prototype deployment is next year or two with full operation by 2014.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
we got Deathstar! we got deathstar! we got deathstar, and you know that we got it deathstar

Chilly

Balls of steel
that aint shit, you want a real laser, go to the rutherford appleton labs near oxford and ask for the "vulcan" - they use it to simulate temperatures hotter than anywhere in/on the sun. For a very tiny amount of time it runs at a peta-watt :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom