Laptops

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
ok, looking for a laptop that i can work whit and allso play my BB acc on it...

prob is that i cant find a decent laptop in my price range that has a GFX that can support direct x 9c......

all are something like 8.0 and so! cant i play whit the gfx whit lower direct x in my comp than 9. both accs are catad and would like to play them in all zones.

thx infront

GimmlyTheDorf

Banned
Kaun_IA said:
ok, looking for a laptop that i can work whit and allso play my BB acc on it...

prob is that i cant find a decent laptop in my price range that has a GFX that can support direct x 9c......

all are something like 8.0 and so! cant i play whit the gfx whit lower direct x in my comp than 9. both accs are catad and would like to play them in all zones.

thx infront
Well whats your budgit and I wouldn't play daoc on a laptop I have a laptop with P4 2000mhz and can't remember the gfx card is a ATI Radeon something not a shit card but not a great one but I can't even load my bb and stick to me scroll farming it just lags off. It works well for a moder leech though. But ATI cards are shit anyway.

Laptops are expensive and crappy for game play just buy some half decent cheapist parts and slap a pc together. You can get a half decent PC for around £400 includeing montior I think was the last one I do for someone.

Cylian

Fledgling Freddie
My notebook got an AMD64 3000+ and a X700 (mobile version each).
Got to set it to Battery mode with SpeedswitchXP (800MHz CPU), otherwise it overheats after about 2hours, but it runs Cata-client nicely.

so I guess what're you looking for is
~1GHz CPU
Radeon 9700 mobile (or better) or something like a nVidia 6xxx mobile
and preferably 1GB RAM

Ixoth

One of Freddy's beloved
I have my work laptop which is Dell D600 with 2 GB RAM (cpu is 1.7 GHz Pentium-M). It tends to overheat if I don't use special laptop cooler. In overall its Ok.

MaLk

Fledgling Freddie
I have a laptop 2,8 Ghz Pentium4 with only 512 mb RAM and a Geforce 4 GO 64 mb gfx card. Havent tried running cata client, but can play ToA client with no probs... Have even played it active in RvR with no probs.

Does cata client really require that much more than ToA client?

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Cylian said:
My notebook got an AMD64 3000+ and a X700 (mobile version each).
Got to set it to Battery mode with SpeedswitchXP (800MHz CPU), otherwise it overheats after about 2hours, but it runs Cata-client nicely.

so I guess what're you looking for is
~1GHz CPU
Radeon 9700 mobile (or better) or something like a nVidia 6xxx mobile
and preferably 1GB RAM

price on ur comp?? seems nice, i pet its expencive.....

MaLK said:
I have a laptop 2,8 Ghz Pentium4 with only 512 mb RAM and a Geforce 4 GO 64 mb gfx card. Havent tried running cata client, but can play ToA client with no probs... Have even played it active in RvR with no probs.

same here!!!

just trying to see the price range of good laptops

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
The Fujitsu Amillo's with the 128mb 9700 Radeons are probably the cheapest laptops that will fly along playing Cata, got mine for 680 quid.

It's not really a laptop though, more of a desktop squeezed into a small box, with a AMD 3.2 thefan sounds like a hairdryer.

Honza

Fledgling Freddie
though there is very nice Dell with mobile version of GF6800Ultra... Think I'd somehow bear it if someone was forcing me to take it :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
MaLk said:
Does cata client really require that much more than ToA client?

It requires a directX9+ hardware compatible gfx card, think thats the main problem for laptops. New ones might be capable of it, but older ones wont be.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
My main computer at work is a Toshiba Tecra M2, which being a laptop often finds its way home of an evening and weekend :)

Its got a G-Force FX chipset and has no problems running DAOC-ToA-Catas now that its upgraded to 1GB.

I think we buy them in for around £900+vat

Its been running constantly for all weekend in the summer - no overheating problems at all

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I wouldn't recomend a Dell D600-800, nor the updated 610-810's we get here at work for anything other then running MS Office and video files. :/

Job

You can get the gfx card and the ram but most laptops have every slow HD's around 4200rpm, my Amillo plays great, in fact it wipes the floor with my desktop Ti4200, but the incoming lag is terrible.
You will need to upgrade to a 7200rpm hardrive to make DAOC playable, IBm do one in 2.5 inch about 150 quid 80GB

Blackstuff

Fledgling Freddie
I have the Amilo D8820 and it used to play daoc fine but since toa its really struggled. It only has the Radeon Mobility 9000 gfx which I doubt very much is upgradeable. Might try out the new hard drive and up the RAM to 1gig but I'm pretty sure its the gfx that now too old. :(

Blackstuff

Fledgling Freddie
My current laptop HDD is the original fujitsu 4200rpm ATA-100 (?). Would a new generation HDD like the hitachi travelstar ATA-6 disk work as an upgrade? I have no idea about the compatability issuse. :(

Are laptop HDD's an easy DIY job?

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
no, most of the time you require miniscule screwdrivers or star points, I tried opening up an old laptop, and I accidently dropped one of the tiny screws onto the mobo and made the mistake of turning it on without getting the screw out- needless to say it fried ;) you live and learn :D

Job

Well looked into a bit, the travelstar should go straight in, read various 'how to's' on the net, simple case of undoing the box, most laptops are pretty easy to do, in all the one's I've seen the HD is visible as soon as you take the bottom panel off.

youngbaba

Fledgling Freddie
I got a decent laptop for £850 around 2 years ago now

2.8 P4 Mobile
512 DDR
9600 mobile
Shite 40GB HDD

Overheating is a huge problem, and isn't helped by the crap case design (no room for HSF on CPU, the designer needs shooting). if you buy a laptop make sure you buy one with a boxy roomy case design rof decent airflow, and get a cooler for it. I use an antec cooler for my laptop, but the layout of the fans isnt the best. On warm days I even have to make sure there is abround 2in of clearance under the cooler to allow cool air to be blown in :S

My Laptop HDD was easy to upgrade, even though it involved some tiny screws (PC owners should have a wealth of tools for shitty screws tbh :p). Upgrading to a 7200 from 4200 HDD shows an amazing performance increase in all apps with a decent spec laptop, due to the faster read/write times. I'd try it if i was you, just check what tools you need and buy them, shouldn't cost more than a tenner

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
OK!!! this is as far as i got.

i have gotten my choises down to 2 comps. one costs 200£ more.

firs the cheaper one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ~700

Intel® Pentium® M protsessor 750, Intel Alviso 915PM chipset, 1024 ddr2 ram 533MHz.

80GB 5400rpm 8MB HD, Dual Double Layer DVD RW,

nVidia GeForce GO 6200, 15,4" TFT WXGA screen (1280x800)

54Mbps wireless lancard Intel 802.11b/g (Wifi), 10/100Mbps lancard. 56K, V.90 modem

and shit loads of USB (4) and so on stuff (tv out and so on)

and the more expencive one!!!!!!!!!! ~900 £

Enduro DL70 PD II TV

Intel Pentium M 760

1 gig DDR3200/400

80 gig hd

ati 128mb X600

DVD RW

15,4" TFT WSXGA+ screen

WiFi and so on stuff

well the sec one has better ram, cpu. but will daoc (in cata) be playable on the first one. i dont have alot of meny to spend. so if it will work whit first comp (whitout lagg) so i will go for that.

allso as im a university student its somewhat important that i get the cheaper one so i have more money over for bad days to come.

atm my PC is like this:

P4 2.4 ghz

768 ddr

ati X800 PRO 256 ddr3

about 200gig between 2 harddrives both 7200rpm i think

whit this i play 2 accs duallogged whit cata max GFX, cata models, toa water and so on.

have no lagg at all (only when i zone into NF whit both). BUT loading times are bit gimp.

so give me ur opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom