Help Laptop + Lemonade = bad mix

rynnor

Rockhound
A tiny amount got onto the keyboard section of my laptop and it immediatly went dead (fuse I figure?).

I have dried it off but on retrying nada - wont power up - will leave it overnight but fear the worst - I hear that acidic + sugary drinks are particularly disastrous as they corrode the crap outta the motherboard - doh!

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Under the keyboard of your laptop is likely to be panels to access parts of the mobo. Ouch.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
I don't think corrosion is going to be the problem if you get to the problem quickly (unless your hardware is water soluble) - its the sugar - it wont dry out properly creating a conductive film - and any other damage caused by short circuits.

I would just get in there with a magnifying glass - lots of light and dab up the spill with a wet cotton bud and dry it out carefully - if you have the patience

Do the overnight thing first - coz it just might work

However, of the pop invaded any components (those little coily things for example) - you might run into trouble.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Quite agree. If you've got your wits about you when it happens, its a case of get it off, get the battery out and leave it for a good day or so to dry out, ideally with the keyboard off. Then it's time to get in there with a decent cleaner (fibreglass contact cleaners are ideal, cost about £2) and mop up anything on the PCB and checking everything is otherwise in order.

rynnor

Rockhound
Turns out it was diet lemonade which is obviously a lot better as its the sugar that coats everything - got a guy coming tomorrow to sort it - I think a fuse replacement may well be it.

rynnor

Rockhound
He took it away - said no signs of any liquid not even evaporated residue but motherboard is completely dead - said keyboard was pretty well shielded so something of a fluke lol :p

O well - anyone reccomend a new laptop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom