Laptop heat problems

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
got a laptop a few years old (dell xps 15)

and its started running really hot .. left it idling in windows with RealTemp on and its bouncing between 45 and 65 centigrade

anyone got any bright ideas ? - apparently all the fan control software doesnt work with laptop motherboards so /shrug

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Probably loads of fluff inside it that needs getting rid of.

Mabs

yea ive hooverd and compressed air'd it, im contemplating taking it to pieces and checking thermal compound etc, was just wondering if there was anything else before i start losing really small screws :(

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
He left a screw out!

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I have a Sony VAIO SZ1XP bought in 2006 (I think...) that's still going strong. Although, I did suffer from rising temperatures. It turned out the fan on the CPU heatsink had kicked the bucket and the whole bit needed replacing. It looked like this:

$%28KGrHqFHJBUE+McLYNsnBP4ujyYcqQ~~60_35.JPG

...and it was a bit of a cunt to replace to be honest. I found a disassembly guide for the laptop otherwise I would've been absolutely clueless. Taking one apart does make you appreciate the skill with which they cram everything inside though.

Anyway, tl;dr: Maybe the CPU fan has died.

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Oooh I know what this is, I have the same laptop and it is something else, it is something you have to delete from the registry that makes the fan run all the time because something is making the CPU work overtime, gah what was it, it is an Intel thing. Let me search........

Trem

Not Intel it's the Realtek driver that's the problem, but because the Dell support forums aren't fucking working (how ironic) I can't actually link you to them but there is this - http://forum.notebookreview.com/ali...ealtek-background-process-high-cpu-usage.html

There is a fix where you don't have to uninstall the drivers but I can't find that right now and it is probably on Dell anyway and that.....isn't.....working.

I have stripped my laptop completely by the way and cleaned every single bit of it and used Arctic Silver thermal paste and it still overheated, it isn't a hardwear problem on our laptop, not in my case anyway.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I have a Sony VAIO SZ1XP bought in 2006 (I think...) that's still going strong. Although, I did suffer from rising temperatures. It turned out the fan on the CPU heatsink had kicked the bucket and the whole bit needed replacing. It looked like this:

$%28KGrHqFHJBUE+McLYNsnBP4ujyYcqQ~~60_35.JPG

...and it was a bit of a cunt to replace to be honest. I found a disassembly guide for the laptop otherwise I would've been absolutely clueless. Taking one apart does make you appreciate the skill with which they cram everything inside though..
The dexterity of those Chinese kids is amazing ;)

Trem

@Mabs the forum is working now, try this -

the issue is that the ravbg64 service is looking for a registry key that isn't there. it keeps looking and not finding it over and over.

you can see this by using a tool called procmon.exe (Process Monitor). Just google it.

You need to add two registry keys. to do this:

Click the Windows Orb button thing (Start Button)

In the search bar, type regedit

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE

Right click "SOFTWARE" and left click "New", then "Key"

Name it "SRS Labs" (without quotes) - that's one

Next, right click "SRS Labs", left click "new" then left click "Key" again

Name it "APO" (without quotes)

once you do this, it should get rid of the processor usage.

Hope this helps someone.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/p/19375427/19862208

Mabs

cheers for that, sadly didnt help :(

i shall attack it with screwdrivers and see if it turns on afterwards <3

Trem

cheers for that, sadly didnt help :(

i shall attack it with screwdrivers and see if it turns on afterwards <3

Bugger :(

Don't forget to take the cover off where the USB ports are and get the screws behind there, they are the only hidden ones, everything else just cracks apart but the silver trim will probably snap because it is a bastard. You shouldn't have to delve too deep to blow everything out but if you do *BE VERY CAREFUL OF THE POWER SWITCH RIBBON!!* (speaking from experience)

Trem

@Mabs try uninstalling the Intel Rapid Storage software before you do anything as well. Just see if that helps.

Mabs

somewhat bumpage...

its not running as hot, been cleaned, blah blah, took it apart. it Benchmarks fine, at good speed, using 3DMARK, suggesting GFX card is fine - using Nvidia gt420m rather than onboard Intel pish
now when i try to watch a film, or play a game it doesnt lag, it goes fine-fine-fine-pause-fine-fine-pause etc every few seconds.

survey says, this is sound card related. its an onboard piece of shit so i cant change it, ive tried driver variants and no joy, so any other suggestions ? :(

im reticent to format it again as it wasnt done long ago so :/

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
:( hope someone gives you an idea. I don't like laptops for this reason.

Mabs

so it appears the HDD was fucking knackered

so !
normal HD, SSD, hybrid "both" drive, or one of those "quiet/cool" wierdo ones?

anyone got suggestions ? :(

(can you tell laptops are not something i usually deal with ? :p )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom