Help Laptop for my lad...

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Folks - my lad has saved money and added in his xmas gifts to the handsome tune of about 500 quid, and wants to spend about 400-450 on a new laptop. It won't be for any intensive gaming, just needs to be a good, solid all rounder with a decent sized screen and enough oomph to run most apps to give a bit of a lifespan.

I'm hoping that with the sales and so on he might be able to get a decent deal right now - you tech savvy wonders out there in FH land, what can you find? :wub:

soze

I am a FH squatter
Depending on your feeling on refurbished gear this could be interesting.

I used this site to check out the grapics cards when buying my new laptop so its worth checking what the card can do.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Thanks Soze - if it was for me I would probably consider that, but for a lad of 12 buying a refurbed unit won't sit well, as he is after 'new and shiny' etc etc etc... know what I mean? Cheers for the links :)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
thats looks very similair to my HP lappy which i have had nothing but problems with. My advice to your boy - steer well clear of HP :p

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Cheers fella - I'm open to all comments on this as I'm an intel pc person without much lappy knowledge. I have had several Dell laltops either for me or others and they are ok if you get the right deal, although I would never have a desktop from them again in my life!

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Was playing around with a bunch of laptops at work last week, the Dell Studio 15 and the Acer Aspire Timeline 1810 both looked really good, I think we eventually went with Dell as we bought some storage off them at the same time.

If I was buying for myself, I'd say the Acer. They are both about £450 so given the £50 I'd get a nice carry case/backpack for it as well.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well - being male and having money in his pocket the lad couldn't wait and we plumped for a Dell deal... seemed comparable to other deals I could find and he's happy enough so job done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom