Advice Laptop connection issues

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
My mate gave me his laptop to look at. Everything works fine except IE won't load pages. Neither will AVG update or the Firefox stub installer work. My next step is to download the full Firefox installer and see what happens but It doesn't appear to be a problem with the network card as it connects to the network and sees my computers just fine.

I've had a look at the processes and startup items and can find nothing that would stop pages from loading. Anyone got any clues as to what it could possibly be? Acer laptop running Win7 Home Premium.

Access Denied

Anti virus or firewall ?

He has AVG Free 2014. Looks like standard Windows firewall. Last scan was in 2014 and I don't know how out of date the definitions are but I've run a full scan and it came back clean.

Bob007

Prince Among Men
Check Network card not set to static IP settings. Also check the DNS settings to.

Ping 8.8.8.8

Check for proxy or dialer settings in Internet Options. Control Panel, Internet Options. Remove any if they are there.

Download ADWCleaner on another PC, transfer it over and run it on the problem laptop. Let it clean up anything it finds.

Reboot, Check internet options again and then check IE.

Report back findings.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
He has AVG Free 2014. Looks like standard Windows firewall. Last scan was in 2014 and I don't know how out of date the definitions are but I've run a full scan and it came back clean.
Try disabling the firewall and the virus stuff see if its blocking it

Access Denied

Check Network card not set to static IP settings. Also check the DNS settings to.

Ping 8.8.8.8

Check for proxy or dialer settings in Internet Options. Control Panel, Internet Options. Remove any if they are there.

Download ADWCleaner on another PC, transfer it over and run it on the problem laptop. Let it clean up anything it finds.

Reboot, Check internet options again and then check IE.

Report back findings.

Ping worked. Couldn't see any proxy dial settings. There was no static IP but there also wasn't any interenet connectivity for IPv6, don't know how much difference that makes.

in any case, I downloaded and ran ADWCleaner, it got rid of a load of shit and now it all works fine.

Thanks for the help!

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
May be too late, but do advise him to remove that bloatware of AVG and install Avira Free

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom