Laptop Batteries

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I got an IBM Thinkpad R40e about 2.5 years ago, I used it on a regular basis, but not every day. Recently the battery doesn't hold anywhere near the charge it used to, I could get at least an hour playing Civilization III (a fairly processor intensive game), but now it barely lasts 20 minutes.

I am probably expecting too much from a battery of this age, but does anyone else have the same experience ?

Also, any advice on getting a replacement battery, I see lots of non-IBM compatible batteries around, is it wise to go for non-IBM made ?

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Hmmm... older hp/compaq laptops used to have some battery calibration disks that you could run after some time to restore a bit of life to the batteries. Checked if IBM has anything like that? As for a replacement... Guess it's down to if you've got cash to spare, and/or if you plan to keep the laptop for some time longer.

djpringle

Pork Smuggler
Every laptop I've had apart from my works Thinkpad has suffered from this problem, generally reaching that point 18 months or so into life. Part of my problem was only using the batteries every now and then and then only for 10 - 15 mins, a sure recipe for disaster!!!

As for non-branded batteries, I guess it would only be a problem if the machine was still under warranty.

Jonty

Fledgling Freddie
Hi xane

As has been said this is a sad fact of batteries these days, but it'll likely affect virtually every kind of battery-based product which is continually being charged and discharged over long periods of time (e.g. mobile phone, laptop etc.). Buying a new battery is really your only option. Some now come in different varieties which allow for different timings (e.g. usage time, charge time etc.). For my Dell notebook the standard battery lasts ~3.5hrs whereas with the upgrade option it can last ~5.5hrs. As ever, expect the better performing batteries to cost you that bit more. Personally I would stick with the manufacturer's own replacements, if only for the horror stories of third-party batteries leaking or exploding and causing terrible injuries (these cases are few and far between, though, and I'm sure that many people happily use trusted third-party replacements to save a bit of money).

Kind Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom