Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-D motherboard

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
Anyone got any experience of this motherboard - got a couple of questions that i need answering?

TIA

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
I have it on my main PC :cool:

[edit: feel free to contact with MSN if you have more than "couple" of questions :p]

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
quick answer :)

Silly question maybe, but do you have any idea why the memory banks are 2 different colours (pink and yellow). Is it just for show, or will my memory blow up if i change it around? :)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
aslird said:
quick answer :)

Silly question maybe, but do you have any idea why the memory banks are 2 different colours (pink and yellow). Is it just for show, or will my memory blow up if i change it around? :)
Yellow+yellow or orange+orange for Dual Channel, orange+orange being better in general (for overclocking that is, both combos should work fine though). Your memory wont blow up, those slots are just colour-coded for easier use.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
VERY nice board :) if you plan on overclocking, otherwise it is a bit overkill imo (you would be better off with a Infinity)
Either way its a quality board and you wont be dissapointed

Remember to note down your serial number so you can register your warranty for the board here:
http://www.csd.dficlub.org/SurveyEng/index.php?sid=1

The main reason to buy a DFI board (other than it being great quality), is the support, these forums are supported by the DFI tech support team:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/index.php

I suggest you read up here:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20832

for instructions on how to properly install the board (it is a little different, there are 4 power connectors and they are all needed)

Also remember to get a recommended power supply, read here for the list:
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854&highlight=recommended+power+supply

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
Ta for the replies, i have a problem with one of the memory banks, there is a yellow led light next to it. I presume this means the part is borked?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
aslird said:
Ta for the replies, i have a problem with one of the memory banks, there is a yellow led light next to it. I presume this means the part is borked?
it means the memory is getting power, that is normal
Try putting only 1 chip into DIMM 1 and seeing if it boots

On the bottom right of the board there should be 4 LED's they are the diagnostic ones.
to check what the problem is

4 led's - CPU Check
3 led's - Memory Check
2 led's - POST
1 led - Bootup

or something similar if memory serves me correctly

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
It stops on 3 leds - memory check. Both dimms work fine on their own, but not together. Btw, there is only a led lit on one of the banks, not on the second one.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
aslird said:
It stops on 3 leds - memory check. Both dimms work fine on their own, but not together. Btw, there is only a led lit on one of the banks, not on the second one.
Try yellow+orange for single channel and that single led you are talking about is "stand-by" led iirc. What kind of memory do you have btw?

Chronictank

FH is my second home
aslird said:
put them both in either the yellow or the orange slots,
Try both dimms in the yellow
then both in the orange

There is 1 led for each pair of slots, if you have nothing in the other slot the LED will be off afaik (going from memory here so may need a bit of prodding :))

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
There is only one led close to dimm slots (DRAM Power LED).

What you could try is booting up with one dimm and disabling CPC in Bios (1, 2 and 3) and then plugging the another dimm is same colour slot (this will lower the performance alot really but this MB is really picky with dimms ;/).

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
now it seems that only 1 of my memory sticks works, so that must be the problem (when i boot up with of them, it gets to the windows loading page and then gives me a bsod and resets too quick to see the message).

The memory i have is Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 TwinX (2 x 1GB) Dual Channel Pack (TWINX2048-3200C2).

Seems i will have to buy more memory, but i have a feeling it will be expensive :(

Chronictank

FH is my second home
aslird said:
now it seems that only 1 of my memory sticks works, so that must be the problem (when i boot up with of them, it gets to the windows loading page and then gives me a bsod and resets too quick to see the message).

The memory i have is Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 TwinX (2 x 1GB) Dual Channel Pack (TWINX2048-3200C2).

Seems i will have to buy more memory, but i have a feeling it will be expensive :(
easy way to check, Lanparty's come with memtest built into the BIOS
go into the BIOS and there is a option to run "memtest"
enable that and let the pc boot up
let it do a pass at everything/until you get an error

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
4 LEDs = System start-up
3 LEDs = CPU detected
2 LEDs = DRAM detected
1 LED = VGA detected
0 LED = System boot-up

You know, its pointless for us to try and help you if you dont keep us informed with what you have tried so far :S I'm 99.9% sure that you dont have a faulty dimm so I wouldn't bother with memtest just yet and even if you do run memtest and it finds errors it doesn't mean your dimm is faulty.

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for your help saggy and chronic :)

Have just done the memtest thing chronic suggested, and it confirmed that the dimm is faulty - over 200k errors after 2 mins of testing :), so will have to buy some more ram. Have checked on dabs and overclockers (where i brought my system from) and they only sell this memory in pairs (and it is £200 :( ) Any suggestions of other good sites to try and buy it from?

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
aslird said:
Thanks for your help saggy and chronic :)

Have just done the memtest thing chronic suggested, and it confirmed that the dimm is faulty - over 200k errors after 2 mins of testing :), so will have to buy some more ram. Have checked on dabs and overclockers (where i brought my system from) and they only sell this memory in pairs (and it is £200 :( ) Any suggestions of other good sites to try and buy it from?
Did you run memtest with both dimms plugged in or both separately? You can get errors like that just because of crappy bios settings so I wouldn't give up the hope yet.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
aslird said:

How new is the memory? Has it worked before ?

I had to get mine replaced cos only one of the Corsair matched pairs worked.

You could also try altering the memory timing in the BIOS slightly, as the memory may work ok, but just not at the max timings.

Darzil

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
Saggy said:
Did you run memtest with both dimms plugged in or both separately? You can get errors like that just because of crappy bios settings so I wouldn't give up the hope yet.

can't run it with both plugged in, as it doesn't even get to the bios screen, so ran it separatly. Ran one fine with no errors, ran the other one and got all those errors.

aslird

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
How new is the memory? Has it worked before ?

I had to get mine replaced cos only one of the Corsair matched pairs worked.

You could also try altering the memory timing in the BIOS slightly, as the memory may work ok, but just not at the max timings.

Darzil
I have had the memory since having my system (about 6 months with no problems). Pc just decided to reboot randomly yesterday while i was playing, and ever since have been having these problems.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
aslird said:
can't run it with both plugged in, as it doesn't even get to the bios screen, so ran it separatly. Ran one fine with no errors, ran the other one and got all those errors.
Surely you have some warranty left then? :cool:
aslird said:
I have had the memory since having my system (about 6 months with no problems). Pc just decided to reboot randomly yesterday while i was playing, and ever since have been having these problems.
Saying this in starting post would have helped alot tbh :p

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Can I be a self-centered prick for a sec here, and point to [post=66334]this glorious stickied post here[/post]? :)

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
Can I be a self-centered prick for a sec here, and point to [post=66334]this glorious stickied post here[/post]? :)
Ok, you lost me there :p
kawaii said:
tilde said:
please use the word "fuck" more guys, really shows what ure made of!

Steveh is an excellent zerger, he provides good rps! Stop complaining!!
:clap:
That's the post you referred to?

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Saggy said:
Ok, you lost me there :p

well, Self-centered because I wrote it... being a bit narcistic about saying it's a glorious post etc, and being a prick about whining about that he could've know to post all specs and events upto the error etc if he had looked at the stickies first and read that one of mine :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
well, Self-centered because I wrote it... being a bit narcistic about saying it's a glorious post etc, and being a prick about whining about that he could've know to post all specs and events upto the error etc if he had looked at the stickies first and read that one of mine :)
you linked to a post in the rvr section tho :s, assumably a mistake :)
if it isnt im confused too :p

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
Ingafgrinn Macabre said:
I know what you meant but your link forwarded me to the post I quoted above :p

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Chronictank said:
you linked to a post in the rvr section tho :s, assumably a mistake :)
if it isnt im confused too :p
Saggy said:
I know what you meant but your link forwarded me to the post I quoted above :p
Roflol... little mistakie... should've been [thread=66334]this thread[/thread]
mistakenly used [post] tags instead of [thread] tags :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom