[Language] on the servers

I

inqy

Yesterday I asked someone to please speak english when using the public channel. It was on Prydwen (an English server) and I thought I asked politely.

Well of course all I got silly answers and taunts. I was told they were not talking to me and I couldn't tell them what language to use on the server. I again asked as they were speaking in public/global channel it would be nice if they used English and that it is mentioned in the CoC.

From then on, all I got was grief. I was told that they had played the game from beta and knew the rules perfectly. I was also mocked for only knowing 1 language. heh.

I did give up and told them to do as they wished. I commented that they were willingly excluding people from their conversation, that may otherwise have a useful input.

Anyway, I did find something regarding this in the CoC:
GOA accommodates servers in three different languages (English, French and German). You can connect to a server using a foreign language, but if you communicate on the main channels we would ask you please to use the language of the server.

I've not bothered informing these people of this since I've seen them again in the same spot in Varulv. Afterall they know better than me.

S

SilverHood

if someone asks me to speak english, rather than danish in main, I will do so...

doing otherwise shows a complete lack of respect

O

old.Xarr

/agree ('cept my native language is norwegian)

O

-optical-

I get pissed off when people speak any other language than english on an english server, they should speak english, end of story. As for only knowing one language, thats nothing to laugh about, in this world you only need to know one language... English.(by far the most popular language)

O

old.LandShark

Originally posted by -optical-
I get pissed off when people speak any other language than english on an english server, they should speak english, end of story. As for only knowing one language, thats nothing to laugh about, in this world you only need to know one language... English.(by far the most popular language)

Pathetic but widely-accepted enough to pass as true :rolleyes:

M

Meatballs

<picks up his bumper book of mandarin insults>

O

old.tRoG

i sometimes run up to people and talk to them in gaelic, gets em all confused :)

A

Apathy

nas nas nas!!!! XDXDXD

lfg at arboles!!!!

NAS!!

a.

S

Sharma

Originally posted by old.tRoG
i sometimes run up to people and talk to them in gaelic, gets em all confused :)

lol :clap:

<looks for gaelic dictionary>

S

Spudgie

All aircraft and marine communications are in English it is THE international language.

If i logged onto a French or German speaking server then I'd try my best to type in those languages.

B

Belsameth

I agree, what you do in /send /gu, or /g (if agreed upon) is your problem
but keep the main chat lines in the language of the server.

R

Roalith

Originally posted by Meatballs
<picks up his bumper book of mandarin insults>

Puki mak babi bla la!

Oh no wait, that's Malay...

O

old.Atrox

If I meet a swedish friend then I'll use swedish on /s, thou I would never use swedish on /b or any longer talks on /s if theres other ppl around..

M

mele-nko

I almost always speak english, even though i's not my countries language. However id 2 ppl are speaking a language u don't understand then it's probabaly not intresting for u to know what they are talking about anyways. I really don't see the big deal here, if those ppl wanna talk russian or chinese or whatever that's there decision.

this really isn't worth whining about ...........

K

kemor

if someone asks me to speak english, rather than danish in main, I will do so...
doing otherwise shows a complete lack of respect
Exactly our point of view as well, this is about respect. If you can't make someone talk english on the english servers, give RightNow a call, we'll "ask" :cool:

ps: There is nothing wrong with two friends using /say in danish. There is something wrong with some guys shouting all around and broadcasting in danish. I'm sure everyone will understand the difference.

A

Addlcove

Originally posted by kemor

Exactly our point of view as well, this is about respect. If you can't make someone talk english on the english servers, give RightNow a call, we'll "ask" :cool:

ps: There is nothing wrong with two friends using /say in danish. There is something wrong with some guys shouting all around and broadcasting in danish. I'm sure everyone will understand the difference.

what if it's in spanish? :p

O

old.Atrox

pps: there is probably something wrong with the person if they speak danish.... :D

I

inqy

Originally posted by mele-nko
I almost always speak english, even though i's not my countries language. However id 2 ppl are speaking a language u don't understand then it's probabaly not intresting for u to know what they are talking about anyways.

Well why don't they stop talking aloud in a public channel and keep to a cg/group/guild/send like most people. You are right it's spam whatever way you look at it :p

I really don't see the big deal here, if those ppl wanna talk russian or chinese or whatever that's there decision.
That is their choice but as we see from the coc and general opinion, it is not polite/respectful to do so.

this really isn't worth whining about ...........
I politely ask, they rudely refuse, I ask again mentioning the coc, they mock and refuse again. I tell them to do as they wish, which they do. I post here saying what happened, just wondered what general opinion was. No whining from me really.

F

fl3a

pisses me off quite good also when people are talking in other languages than english (on english servers) while talking to me. i tell em to use english then they just swear at me in that language and thats it.

most of all it happens on PvP, someone walks up to me and starts talking to me in french for example, i tell em to speak english and in return i get 'fuck off!'

I

inqy

now in that case m8, I would report the *person* for not speaking in english and being personally offensive towards you.

O

old.Normengast

There is always the option of making a private chat group or using /tell when you want to discuss something in another language.

O

old.job

LOL, English is THE world language, and we can thank the British Empire for that.
<stands on chair holding pic of Queen mum>

If your main language isn't English, then you'd be a halfwit to try and learn anything else as a second language.
If your native tounge is English, then why bother to learn any others, your time is better spent teaching others English (by speaking it to them).
Don't bother trying to speak the languages of our European friends, it may be polite and friendly to try, but your not doing them or yourself any favours .

Flame at will, but that is the truth.:)

O

old.Normengast

Originally posted by old.job
LOL, English is THE world language, and we can thank the British Empire for that.
<stands on chair holding pic of Queen mum>

If your main language isn't English, then you'd be a halfwit to try and learn anything else as a second language.
If your native tounge is English, then why bother to learn any others, your time is better spent teaching others English (by speaking it to them).
Don't bother trying to speak the languages of our European friends, it may be polite and friendly to try, but your not doing them or yourself any favours .

Flame at will, but that is the truth.:)

Here goes your flame:

This is the dumbest reply I ever read.

How can you say something so stupid? I can agree that you are not interested in learning new languages, but you are wrong if you say that learning them won't get yourself any favours.

I speak five myself and I can tell you it does.

Cheers

EDIT: :flame:

K

kr0n

Originally posted by -optical-

Afaik chinese is the most popular language, with over 1 billion of people having chinese as prime language... But if we start counting everyone who can speak (well, not perfectly, but at least manage from daily things) english, its propably the most popular.

O

old.job

When I said I'm not doing myself any favours , what is the point of learning 1 European language.
Hats off to you for learning 5, but that's a lot of work and there's still loads you don't know.
Most Europeans will have a go at speaking English, many are fluent in it.
Nothing on this planet would bring us all together as much as a common language, English is doing it's bit, please support it.

O

old.chesnor

Originally posted by kr0n

Afaik chinese is the most popular language, with over 1 billion of people having chinese as prime language... But if we start counting everyone who can speak (well, not perfectly, but at least manage from daily things) english, its propably the most popular.

There actually isn't a 'Chinese' language. There are two main spoken languages, Mandarin and Cantonese. The majority of the Chinese population speak one or the other. Very few in % terms can speak both fluently.

D

danskmacabre

The top 5 languages are as follows:

1. Mandarin
Number of speakers: 1 billion+

2. English
Number of speakers: 508 million

3. Hindustani
Number of speakers: 497 million

4. Spanish
Number of speakers: 392 million

But even so, English is still the most useful language to know if you travel around All over the world, because IMO, more people will have English as a second language than any other.

I quote from here:
http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/toptens/languages/languages3.html

While English doesn't have the most speakers, it is the official language of more countries than any other language. Its speakers hail from all around the world, including the U.S., Australia, England, Zimbabwe, the Caribbean, Hong Kong, South Africa, and Canada.

[edit]
Although, here's another site that puts Spanish higher (in sheer numbers as a first language) than English.
http://www.photius.com/rankings/languages2.html
But either way, mandarin is still at the top.

K

kr0n

Originally posted by old.chesnor

There actually isn't a 'Chinese' language. There are two main spoken languages, Mandarin and Cantonese. The majority of the Chinese population speak one or the other. Very few in % terms can speak both fluently.
I didnt know the exact name in English, so I just used chinese :) In finnish its pretty much the same tho.

O

old.job

Yeah Mandarin is spoken by more people, but if you want to get anywhere in China you need English, of course they are OFFICIAL languages, you wont find many people outside of China with a rats ass of an idea how to speak Chinese.
I would guess that Spanish is the second most widely understood.

K

Keri

Originally posted by kemor

I actually had to chuckle about this whole thread. Remember the thread a while back about not using language (words) that were offensive to some players? And that many responses were along the lines of "If you don't allow us to swear when talking to our friends on /s, /y, or /b, then you are not showing us respect". But now that some people want to use a language other than English on an English language server, no one has rushed to defend them saying that denying their right to self-expression shows a lack of respect to people whose first language is not English.

Come on people!! Make up your minds!! Do people deserve to be respected and be allowed to express themsleves publicly among friends, or not? What is the difference between using offensive language/swearing, to using a foreign language? Personally, seeing the c-word gets my hackles up, whereas seeing Danish/Norwegian/Swedish/French/German/Portuguese/Spanish/Tagalog/Flemish/ or any other language doesn't bother me that much at all, unless it floods my chat window. I don't like getting my chat window flooded in any language.

Swearing gets respect, but national languages don't?

Oh .. and please note that I chuckled ... just thought I'd mention that before getting the flame extinguisher out. :p

Users who are viewing this thread