Landlords

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Even if you don't get it professionally cleaned most will accept a high standard of personal cleaning. We just left a place after 3 years and only cleaned ourselves, only cost £50 from our deposit for a little extra cleaning.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
Welllllll...

Having looked through the NEW (Read altered once they put the deposit in a scheme and we haven't signed it) tenancy agreement, there's a few things in there. Nothing about the garden though, the windows are in there, but £10 I'll give them for cleaning those. I'll dig the old agreement out, the one we did sign and go through that but as far as I can tell the only things they've changed are the details of where the deposit was placed. They've obviously tried to be sneaky about it because the letter we got from the DPS shows that the money was put in there on the date we first moved in. It was actually put in there on the 17th of Feb' this year, I know because I kept the email from the landlord notifying me of this.

To be honest, the landlords were bastards after they told us they wanted to the house back and they're being bastards about everything else so I'm going to be a bastard too and fight them to the end. Funnily enough, the amount they've put in "damages" is almost exactly 3 months mortgage...

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
You'll pay whatever it costs them to clean the windows, not an arbitrary figure you pulled out of your arse.

You both sound like you're being dicks. Which will make your situation oh so easy.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Well neither of you will be seeing that deposit money if you act like that access. If you can't reach a compromise, the DPS will hold all the money until it's settled one way or the other. Your only recourse is to seek legal advise over their failure to secure the deposit in time - HOWEVER, if they have a letter from the DPS that the deposit was secured from the date you moved in, then it was. Their only failure was not adding your contact details.

Access Denied

You'll pay whatever it costs them to clean the windows, not an arbitrary figure you pulled out of your arse.

You both sound like you're being dicks. Which will make your situation oh so easy.

Read the first page before shooting your mouth off about arbitrary figures, might stop you making a twat out of yourself. As for us being dicks, well why not? How's about I mention the time they came over unannounced while I was at work and had a go at the missus because we weren't getting out fast enough? Or being told that if we withold the last months rent we'd have "Me" (Landlady) to deal with? If I want to be a dick I'll be a dick, because what comes around goes around.

Access Denied

Well neither of you will be seeing that deposit money if you act like that access. If you can't reach a compromise, the DPS will hold all the money until it's settled one way or the other. Your only recourse is to seek legal advise over their failure to secure the deposit in time - HOWEVER, if they have a letter from the DPS that the deposit was secured from the date you moved in, then it was. Their only failure was not adding your contact details.

Ahh but the original agreement states that the deposit will be held in their own account, one set up for that specific purpose. I can prove it was in their own account because they used some of it to replace the built in oven when it packed up. I kept the emails about that too.

Also it'll eventually go to the Alternative Dispute Resolution service who will look at the evidence from both sides and make a final decision.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Wazz is right, if this is your attitude then you are in trouble. From your original post about what you "think" you should pay for and shouldn't, I'd say you are responsible for a lot of it. I'm a landlord, and I worked as an estate agent for over a year, so I'm giving you an unqualified opinion here. Reach a compromise, don't be a dick, if they are being difficult then don't react back, take legal advice and inform them of that if you can't find a fair solution for both parties.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Ahh but the original agreement states that the deposit will be held in their own account, one set up for that specific purpose. I can prove it was in their own account because they used some of it to replace the built in oven when it packed up. I kept the emails about that too.

Then where has the letter from the DPS come from? If you are alleging they've made it up, then I'd be careful of getting your facts right.

I'm not sure where the law is on this one to be fair, you've agreed to let them keep the deposit, so you can hardly claim they didn't secure the deposit without your knowledge.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
To be honest, the landlords were bastards after they told us they wanted to the house back and they're being bastards about everything else so I'm going to be a bastard too and fight them to the end. Funnily enough, the amount they've put in "damages" is almost exactly 3 months mortgage...
I really wouldn't adopt that attitude mate, it'll just stress you out and you'll be in a new place still dealing with shit from the old one. Cut a deal with them, get it all in writing and get them out of your life. If they're as big a bunch of ***** as you say they are you're better off rid.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also, have you actually tried challenging any of them amounts they are quoting? Any dialogue what so ever with them? You haven't posted that you have and it doesn't sound like you have given your attitude.

Access Denied

Then where has the letter from the DPS come from? If you are alleging they've made it up, then I'd be careful of getting your facts right.

I'm not sure where the law is on this one to be fair, you've agreed to let them keep the deposit, so you can hardly claim they didn't secure the deposit without your knowledge.

I haven't agreed to let them keep the whole deposit, just what was owed for 10 days rent which we used to buy furniture for the new place, specifically a bed. As for the DPS letter, I didn't say that made it up. It's legit because I checked, they put the deposit in on the 17th Feb' not the day we moved in. I DO know the law regarding that, the landlord HAS to provide contact details for the tenant and they are legally required to notify you within 14 days of starting the tenancy that the deposit is in a scheme. You also get an email and a letter from the DPS about it. We got neither.

Access Denied

We haven't spoken to them, however it's got nothing to do with our attitude. We have been advised not to talk to them until we've had a meeting with the Brighton Housing Trust to find out exactly where we stand. The BHT will then contact them for us so ti's all nice and professional.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
I mean you signed a contract stating that they would keep your deposit in heir own account.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I haven't agreed to let them keep the whole deposit, just what was owed for 10 days rent which we used to buy furniture for the new place, specifically a bed. As for the DPS letter, I didn't say that made it up. It's legit because I checked, they put the deposit in on the 17th Feb' not the day we moved in. I DO know the law regarding that, the landlord HAS to provide contact details for the tenant and they are legally required to notify you within 14 days of starting the tenancy that the deposit is in a scheme. You also get an email and a letter from the DPS about it. We got neither.
I'd imagine you'd be very unlikely to get anywhere with this if you've only brought it up once you are already in a dispute with the Landlord.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Also, they haven't made the dps letter up, but the didn't put the money in till the 17th? Which is it, it can't be both. I'm confused with what you are trying to say here.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Would have thought you'd be in for some landlord bashing Scouse, they do have some authority after all! :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom