LAN connection. A7N8X

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive recently happened upon an Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.
Whilst setting it up last night, I tried to connect it into my network and for some bizzare reason the LAN sockets arent seeing my cable when its plugged in!!

Ive tried several cables, all of which worked in other machines, and I still have a red cross on the LAN connection. Both the ports (integrated NVIDIA MAC + Realtek® 8201BL PHY and a integrated 3Com MAC + Broadcom AC101L PHY) have the correct drivers installed, and XP Pro is seeing them as correctly installed and enabled.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I might rectify this really fecking annoying problem?

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Are you getting lights next to the RJ45 sockets at both ends ?

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
xane said:
Are you getting lights next to the RJ45 sockets at both ends ?

Must admit, I didnt notice any Xane.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
wyrd_fish said:
have you installed all the drivers

ahem :eek7:

.Wilier. said:
Ive tried several cables, all of which worked in other machines, and I still have a red cross on the LAN connection. Both the ports (integrated NVIDIA MAC + Realtek® 8201BL PHY and a integrated 3Com MAC + Broadcom AC101L PHY) have the correct drivers installed, and XP Pro is seeing them as correctly installed and enabled.

Deadmanwalking

Fledgling Freddie
My mate, with the same motherboard had no end of problems with that very area.

First it just wouldn't pick up any cables plugged in at all, so he just gave up and took it back for a replacement. Then the new one picked up the cables, but tried to install the remaining port drivers eveytime he started up. (He used the nvidia port, it tried the 3com jobbo one thingy)

But if he had a wire in both ports, even if one wasn't bound to ips/subnet etc etc, it would all work fine and dandy. No help whatsoever willier i know (sorrry :() but it seems to be a bit of a problem.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have an A7n8x deluxe (1.3 rev) and it works fine(ish). Besides that Wilier dearie, if I can do anything to it to test for you I'll be glad to help out.

I have one niggle with it though, but I have that with most doze machines....the nics are utterly shite at being set to a fixed speed/duplex. I have 4 unix machines and one doze machine on a 10/100 fd switch, and I *have* to leave the doze box on auto-detect for it to work, and even then it sometimes screws up and shuts itself down. If I set it to 100/fdx (which all the other machines are set to and work fine on) it just won't work.

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Deadmanwalking said:
But if he had a wire in both ports, even if one wasn't bound to ips/subnet etc etc, it would all work fine and dandy. No help whatsoever willier i know (sorrry :() but it seems to be a bit of a problem.

That bit helps a bit DMW, I'll just bung two cables in and see what happens.

TeeDs, cheers buddeh. If I knew wtf you were talking about, Im sure it would piss me off too ;)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
I've got same mobo and I had problems.

Make sure that 'enable netbios over tcip' is enabled, that was what caused me grief.

Also those drivers that come with it are a bit gay, is it the 3com thingy?

Oh and make sure that connection sharing is enabled(you may of said that but I cba to read through again :D)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
.Wilier. said:
TeeDs, cheers buddeh. If I knew wtf you were talking about, Im sure it would piss me off too ;)

he was basically telling you to "suck his big phat one!"

Trem

Try what I said Wil, if you have no joy come find me in IRC(#xatrix), I'm quite sure I can sort it for you.

TdC

Lazarus said:
he was basically telling you to "suck his big phat one!"

I liek Wil's big stubbly chinzor!!1

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
TdC said:
I liek Wil's big stubbly chinzor!!1

chin.jpg

TdC

ooh!! *rubs*

nice one Wilier, my laughing made the boss say that I couldn't possibly be working heehee :D

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
TdC said:
ooh!! *rubs*

nice one Wilier, my laughing made the boss say that I couldn't possibly be working heehee :D

I aim to please :)

TdC

hehe indeed :) I want a digicam too!! hmm *wonders if budgets can be breached*

Whipped

Part of the furniture
One thing you could try to test the physical ports is to try a crossover cable plugged between the two onboard lan ports. See if that works for a local(ish) loopback connection.
If not then replace the mobo.
I have to admit, I think I had a problem with the NVIDIA LAN port on my A7n8X Deluxe, but the 3Com worked and I only needed one of the buggers to work.

One last thing, very simple and I'm sure you've already checked, and the fact the drivers are installed makes this unlikely. But the ports arn't diasabled in the BIOS are they?

TdC

sorry about the job Whipped :(

Trem

Thats the view that Mrs Wil gets when hes making sweet love to her.

Shes a lucky lady :D

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Only thing that worries me (or makes me look like a tard) is the fact that we actually had one of the ports working when I was at Xav's pad.

I'll try everything thats been mentioned tonight, and since your all so lovly and helpfull, let you know tmorra.

And Trem, you want my chin............you know it. :eek7:

Panda On Smack

Can't get enough of FH
at the risk of repeating coz i cant be arsed to read all thats been said and look at various peoples chins.

have you enabled them in the bios?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom