Lag Spikes and LD's

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Eraser said:
dont get me wrong, i dont want to rant and for sure dont want to make the GMs angry, as i really am happy we have this channel to talk with you, ask questions and get answers.
but GOA shouldnt be TOO proud about this makeshift solution. i can imagine a customer service much better to be honest.

How wrong can we get you? You're behaving like an impolite ass. The GoA peeps are doing us a favor by comming to these forums. The propper channel to deal with issues is RightNow. If you don't like that, I suggest that you cancel your account and never renew it, or move to the US if you think it's better there.

In fact, there isn't anything else that GoA can do besides gathering pingplots. It's like police investigation, you can't go to court without the evidence. They need those pingplots to show to OpenTransit that their connection is having lagspikes.

Anyway, right now the issue is the random connectionreset caused by one of the routers. These are much harder to trace and won't show up on the pingplots. Plus they don't make much sense. No lag-spikes show up during the disconnects, and not everyone LDs, why?

Anyway, and this goes for everyone, instead of whining please co-operate with the GoA peeps or else they won't be able to address these issues at OpenTransit. Also, I bet that if enough people send a RightNow to GoA in which they politely ask for a free day or more, I'm sure that they'll do that because they've done it before. However, mind that they're not legally bound to give you the free days, so if you end up behaving like an ass, I'm pretty sure that they won't give those free days.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:
How wrong can we get you? You're behaving like an impolite ass. The GoA peeps are doing us a favor by comming to these forums..

Most other MMORPGS have there own forums hosted by themselves, or some reason Mythic use VN boards and Goa use FH, to this day i do not no the real answer why the dont.

If opentransit provide GOA with the feed to there servers, and something stops GOA's customers from accessing them to a reasonable level then it should be GOA and opentransit that resolve the problem. As paying customers we should not br expected to do GOA's work by sending in Ping plots, i know this does help them to hopefully find the problem quicker.

Put it this way, if you lost power to your house would you go and test all the powercables and inform the power company which ones were working and which ones were not? The answer is no, although you would help them as much as reasonable possible. You would also expect the power company to give you regular updates.

As much as i hate to say it if the game becomes too unplayable or not fun by too much lag or LD's then do not resubscibe for a month. Unfortunetly i do not think the loss of revenue from english players would hurt GoA that much as we are the minority population on the servers..

Ovi1

Fledgling Freddie
Daedalus said:

What I'd like to know, is if anything has changed to the configuration of Prydwen and/or Excal? And what exactly. I know that there were hardware upgrades, but.. y'know, what exactly did they do to which machines in the cluster?

Hib/Pryd has been having this problem for a few weeks, in fact the problem started when GoA informed us fairly last minute that their ISP was doing an upgrade and that the servers would be unavailable. (Yes I know not GoAs fault, just stating facts ...)

So what would be more interesting is what changes did Open Transit make? penny to the pound that's where the problem lies ...

This would also seem to be backed up by the fact that the servers aren't "stressed" when the LDs happen, since the problem probably doesn't lie with the servers.

Interestingly the problem only seems to be on the UK servers judging by the comments from GMs, BUT it does not appear to be UK clients only as people from other countries are experiencing problems on the UK servers.

This is not a dig at GoA, just trying to put a few facts in sequence, and add my interpretation. I would add though that the lack of feedback from the official GoA channels (News page) is a little frustrating, although we do appreciate the feedback given on these forums I know a lot of Pryd hibbies don't read them.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Ovi1 said:
Hib/Pryd has been having this problem for a few weeks, in fact the problem started when GoA informed us fairly last minute that their ISP was doing an upgrade and that the servers would be unavailable. (Yes I know not GoAs fault, just stating facts ...)

There are several problems related to the gameplay now:
A) Lagspikes
B) Static zone Latency
and now, a 3rd problem:
C) Random LDs.

Even though they may be related or even caused by the same thing, it doesn't mean that all three of them are the same. I was talking about problem C specifically, which has been worse and affecting a bigger part of the player base for the last two days. The last time this happened (one or two weeks ago on an ML raid on Excal, I think it was, it didn't seem to be caused by the opentransit network, but rather a master router just before that one).

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
scorge said:
Most other MMORPGS have there own forums hosted by themselves, or some reason Mythic use VN boards and Goa use FH, to this day i do not no the real answer why the dont.
This is because having a community is one of the marketing department's wishes. For new games that don't have a steady community yet (For example, WoW), the publisher often offers a message board for people to communicate. There are a few pro's and con's about 'hosting' the community yourself. For example; If you host the community yourself, you have more control on the community as a company, its a known thing that both SoE and Blizzard have been censoring posts posts in the past. One of the cons is that hosting a community requires resources (servers and bandwidth).

scorge said:
If opentransit provide GOA with the feed to there servers, and something stops GOA's customers from accessing them to a reasonable level then it should be GOA and opentransit that resolve the problem.
So, what do you propose that GoA should do then? Send a flame letter to OpenTransit? That's not gonna help. Besides, they're most likely stuck to a contract. The only thing that they could do is to apply pressure on OpenTransit by claiming that the contract is invalid because the connection is shite.

So.. how'd they do that? Well, by giving them statistical data that shows that the connection carried by OpenTransit is shit. And that's exactly why they're asking for PingPlots. Your example is flawed because the two scenario's aren't like eachother. The internet is a very sophisticated system and not quite like a city's power grid (well, not sophisticated.. but.. rather complex and messy). As the GoA peeps have said already; they can't experience our connectivity issues because they have a shorter route to the servers.

To use your example anyway:
Put it this way, if you lost power to your house would you go and test all the powercables and inform the power company which ones were working and which ones were not? The answer is no, although you would help them as much as reasonable possible. You would also expect the power company to give you regular updates.
Well, it's more like this.. Your house lost power, but your neighbours didn't. Before calling the power company, you usually check if your wires are correct or not. It's not like you expect the power company to come over and check the central power hub to see if that's working correctly, rather than your own power connect0r thing.

The reason on why this example doesn't apply to this problem, is because A) We're dealing with a network that's pretty damn big and has a lot of nodes B) Neither just one person or everyone is affected by this problem. Yesterday, on an alliance raid, about 30% to 50% LD'd. How come that only they went LD? That's like having a street on the same power source, but suddenly half of them lose power.

Eraser

Loyal Freddie
Daedalus said:
How wrong can we get you? You're behaving like an impolite ass. The GoA peeps are doing us a favor by comming to these forums. The propper channel to deal with issues is RightNow. If you don't like that, I suggest that you cancel your account and never renew it, or move to the US if you think it's better there.

hm, YOU want to tell me about behavior? read the reply you wrote to me and think about it.

Daedalus

Can't get enough of FH
Eraser said:
hm, YOU want to tell me about behavior? read the reply you wrote to me and think about it.
I never said that I'm not an impolite ass now and then, if you wish to do so, be my guest. But my point still stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom