Lag problems

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Since a week or so I've gotten immense lag during primetime, spikes every half a minute lasting anywhere from a few seconds to so long I go LD.

Tonight it must have been 10 ld's in an hour, and countless of 'normal' spikes. Judging from the pingplotter I'm pretty sure its because of opentransit (surprise :rolleyes:) - but I'm no expert so maybe it's something else.

Here's some screenshots:

plotter1.jpg

plotter2.jpg

plotter3.jpg

Information that might be relevant, I have a 6400/880 kbps casema cable connection, onboard nforce network controller (checksum offload disabled) and I'm located in Breda (southwest in holland). I havn't ever experienced any kind of lag on this line whatsoever since I moved in here 6 months ago, and even during the lagspikes towards Limors cluster my connection is fine otherwise (ventrilo/irc/whatever don't lag).

Sent a rightnow report along with a pingplotter file on thursday during a while of horrible lag, but no reply yet.

Is there anything at all I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I recommend setting samples to include to a high number, (3600 if you are recording an hour), as it'll then show more meaningful information in the %PL column.

I'd plot graphs showing steps 8, 9 and 10 as well as the last hop. If 8 is perfect, but the packetloss is similar at 9, 10 and the last hop, then 9 is likely to be your only issue. I'd have to say at the moment it appears that 9 is just not often returning pings, as though it's showing high packetloss, it's not showing high packetloss past it, which suggests it isn't 'real' packetloss.

Darzil

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Well 70% and 88.9% packet loss can quite say that's the infamous Aubervilliers shit router once again.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Well 70% and 88.9% packet loss can quite say that's the infamous Aubervilliers shit router once again.

Only trouble is, it doesn't appear to be affecting any of the routers past it, so it's just that router not responding to pings very often, so it doesn't look like the issue on that data at least.

Darzil

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
looks like this when I ping the router:

plot4.jpg

and this "normally":

plot5.jpg

what to do :(

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
There is nothing wrong with those ping plots, Infact the response times are very good (I would actual say a 36mms round trip is excellent), nothing that would cause noticable lag or lds. For example playing from New zealand to US Servers I typically see 250-300ms response times which are not really noticable and are fine for Daoc RvR.

That 'problem' router in your post is clearly set to not respond to pings, hence the traffic after it in the server pingplots is fine. Its very common for servers not to accept ping requests as pings are the basis of some primitive DoS network attacks. This does not mean the router is not working or that it will degrade your network traffic in any way. If you check the response times in the relays after that router you will notice the trafic still has good response times, which leads to the conclusion in those plots at least everything is fine with your net connection.

Since clearly everyhting is not okay, what you need to do as a first step is run some plots while you play daoc. Next time you LD or lag heavily, alt tab out and check whats going on. This should help identify whether it is a network issue or just a boring PC issue.

EDIT: All 3 of the first screenshots you posted are infact great ping plots and I would kill to have a connection like that to my servers!!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Mind ya it ain't always true what's written in pingplotter faqs ^^
Also u can have very good responses, but anyway the packet losses force your network card to resend packets, hence the lag in game.
I pretty much doubt in this case is only a low priority on ICMP responses. To me it seems more a problem of heavy traffic not quite good handled on the Aubervilliers node.
U can get that from the often short interruptions that are clearly showed in the timetable of pings.
Then again is an Alchemy try and fail in these cases ^^

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
the first three plots are made while i was playing. no lagspike = 0% pl at the opentransit node, lagspike = 70-90% packetloss at the node.

a few days later it changed to permanent 90% pl like in the last two plots.

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
I have the same prob, only happends on Avalon not on UK cluster.
75-100% packetloss makes it totally unplayable to an extent that I cba to play there anymore.
Tried to solve it by opening ports with the virtual server, tried like 3 different routers and got a brand new PC so that can't be it and I'm getting the exact same results as you with pingplotter.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Ok, looking at that last graph, can definitely see your problem, lots of red errors, from a router that isn't set to not reply. If you plotted the 5-6 lines above it also, you'd see at which point the problem starts.

Darzil

Amiga

Can't get enough of FH
Anyone else having terrible lag spikes right now? Getting loads of timeouts when pinging goa servers :/

Glema

Fledgling Freddie
I've been having similar problems for the last week. Can't stay online for more than about 10 minutes.

I was running pingplotter last night and my ping goes from around 30 to 200 as soon as it hits the first opentransit router :(

Wierd thing is it takes ages to actually go LD. I get about 30 seconds to a minute where I can see other peoples actions and text but can't speak or do anything myself.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I find it's packetloss that kills, rather than latency. If you get a few packets lost in succession, tends to indicate a router is rebooting or failing, and you'll get no communication for long enough to LD. High latency tends to just mean slow response, not LD.

I'm certainly suffering at the moment, with this packetloss that starts just before one of the routers into GOA (one step from the server). From the graphs on the last three hops you can see that hop 12 is fine, the packetloss after that is what causes LD's. The earlier stuff is just routers not responding to pings to them, but passing other stuff through fine. I'm reporting these on a daily basis, but if others are getting the same thing, please report it to /rightnow, as it'll increase the pressure to get mine fixed!!

193.252.123.33_sat3mar.gif

Darzil

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom