Lag Cheating and Strafeing are two difirent things, right?

Cathul

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
erm, why shouldn't i be allowed to strafe? it's part of the game and a valid mway to move (unlike lag jumping (i think some bards are LGM lag jumpers tbh)). should i just stand there and let the enemy get nicly into position to land his uber styles? i think not. /assist /face /stick is already bad enough and if strafe is the only way to survive a savage train a few more seconds i will bloody well do it :cheers:

Strafing with using keys "q" and "w" isn't illegal, it's the creating of client side lag with special keystrokes (right?) that's only possible in windowed-mode (afaik) that's illegal, 'cause it gives you the message "target is not in view" almost all the time.
This get's banned and is not be the same as strafing by pressing "q" and "w" on your keyboard ("q" and "w" are the keys in my configuration btw.).

/Cathul

Dracus

Fledgling Freddie
I like strafing ...

...And it makes me able to actually win some fights with my SB :p

/Dracus

Makwaerk

Fledgling Freddie
I think the strafing sucks, 1 thing is to use it so tanks don't land positional styles, another is making your char "immune" to melee attack, if ppl think that was intended, well then they are as dum as you get, and nothing I will say will make a different anyway.

Labbe

Fledgling Freddie
So... what do you suggest?

Stand still and wait for the blow? heh... that's even more stupid.

koxine

Fledgling Freddie
its illigal to do something not intented for the game

.. but i don't think GOA made any rules against running in circles..

I'm a hunter.. when i hunt with Lego, who's a hunter too, the best thing you can do when you get "agro" is often to run in a circle so you don't get out of reach from your partners arrows.. and ofc if a infil or NS is beating at me i will try to get in a possition where his styles wont succede.. I think that if the way you try to move to get out of reach from an enemy causes lag then GOA has a problem, not the player trying to survive..

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Cathul said:
Strafing with using keys "q" and "w" isn't illegal, it's the creating of client side lag with special keystrokes (right?) that's only possible in windowed-mode (afaik) that's illegal, 'cause it gives you the message "target is not in view" almost all the time.
This get's banned and is not be the same as strafing by pressing "q" and "w" on your keyboard ("q" and "w" are the keys in my configuration btw.).

/Cathul

I did test this with a friend of mine, he played the game like normal and just pressed forward+strafe (to walk in a circle) while I was hitting him.

Result?

100% out of view.

Cathul

Fledgling Freddie
Makwaerk said:
I think the strafing sucks, 1 thing is to use it so tanks don't land positional styles, another is making your char "immune" to melee attack, if ppl think that was intended, well then they are as dum as you get, and nothing I will say will make a different anyway.

You too, are using the term "strafing" for the lag-abusing thing. It has _nothing_ to do with strafing as provided by the game itself.

/Cathul

Zapsi

Fledgling Freddie
Old.Ilum said:
I did test this with a friend of mine, he played the game like normal and just pressed forward+strafe (to walk in a circle) while I was hitting him.

Result?

100% out of view.

Tested yesterday sb warrior 10 % out of view, so who has better con og pc has less problem with this ?

Fadeh

Fledgling Freddie
Id say i have about 50% oov when i use the anti lagstrafe tactics. Way more without any tactics.

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
Chrystina said:
i don't get some ppls problem ... to strafe is a valid movement, otherwise it wouldn't be a prt of the game, right? every nerf FPS game has strafe ... it's the ppl who ABUSE it in conjunction with lag tricks who cause trouble.
Yes, strafe is a valid movement... but if someone came at you with a knife in the real world, do you think that strafing around them in circles would stop them from stabbing you? No, it wouldn't...

If you strafe around someone and they are unable to hit you because you're not in view, then you are abusing the fact that there is always a degree of lag between the server and clients. There doesn't have to be any other lag trick involved. You're abusing an inherent flaw in the mechanics of an internet based game to gain an unfair advantage.

Personally, I can't wait to get grapple... :twak:

remi

Fledgling Freddie
Alithiel said:
Yes, strafe is a valid movement... but if someone came at you with a knife in the real world, do you think that strafing around them in circles would stop them from stabbing you? No, it wouldn't...

stop stabbing? no. make it harder too stab? yes.

much like daoc, hu?

:m00:

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Alithiel said:

Yes in IRL you remove ur shirt and let him cut you in your chest nice and easy or do you try move away, strafe perhaps and make it harder for him? :) Nice comparison lol.

Ilum

Can't get enough of FH
Zapsi said:
Tested yesterday sb warrior 10 % out of view, so who has better con og pc has less problem with this ?

Yes, it makes a difference.

We swapped roles and he did not get the 100% oov rate. I had about 120 ping to server, he had about 40.

And for the sake of testing, we simply used /stick when hitting.

Nelex

One of Freddy's beloved
what shall we do if we cant straff run around and get out of attack view and come in to the side to hit again ?? no it will never happen. why have side pos styles if you cant get there whit out a mess/root/stun stop the whining and move on, this lame to bring up, if you cant live whit it do it your self. :twak:

Alithiel

Fledgling Freddie
remi said:
stop stabbing? no. make it harder too stab? yes.
Wrong, because in the real world you wouldn't be 'out of view' and he'd be able to adjust to compensate for your change of position - in real-time and without any lag.

The simple fact is that when you strafe, you are abusing the lag between your client updating the server on your position, the server updating the attackers client of your new position and the attackers client feeding back his new facing. It's a fundamental flaw that will probably be present in all internet wide games for some time to come, but it was not intended to be abused as a means for someone to avoid taking damage.

Freppe said:
Yes in IRL you remove ur shirt and let him cut you in your chest nice and easy or do you try move away, strafe perhaps and make it harder for him?
Well, for a start you try to get out of his REACH, not move around next to him where he can continue to swipe at you!

As I see it, there are 2 possible ways to combat this sort of blatant abuse while still allowing people to strafe and potentially avoid some damage or get into position for a style.

1. It is obviously possible to detect whether a character is strafing, so what needs to be done is to have a style put into every melee combat line where the opening is your opponent strafing and which doesn't require line of sight. Give it a stun effect for good measure!

2. Melee styles operate with your opponent within a radius of you, rather than in your forward arc, with a 'to hit' penalty of 20% if they're in your side arc and 50% if they're in your rear arc.

Freppe

Fledgling Freddie
Listen, dont make a comparison with IRL, there is no similiarity whatsoever. There is no way you can move with your char like in IRL, also you cant defend yourself in the same way.

Once again, if mythic wants this removed they will. And since you have hard time to face that, you'll just continue with the same shit whines. PPL play how they want and you play how you want. Its might be lame for you, but it might not be lame for others. Face the fact that ppl aint like all, and this is a issue none else than MYTHIC can be solve.

Im quite sick of the whines myself about this, but cba to bother really. Cause ive faced the fact that, when mythic want this removed, they will.

Morchaoron

Fledgling Freddie
haha @ the irl comparison, first of all this game has nothing to do with 'RL'

theres no magic irl, no little men that are barely hurt by a axe thats 3 times their size, no respawning, and no trolls (well actually we can argue about that last one)

if you can walk sideways THROUGH people and blink out of existence all the time while running in very small circles irl, you should really call morpheus for a red pill to get you out of your matrix asap....

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
if someone is strafing then they can't perform attacks, they should also carry this on to include shouts/instent spells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom