Advice KVM switch recommendations?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for a decent KVM switch since my company no longer allows me to use our VPN on my home PC (logical, I guess)... most of the time I can just use MFA to access work stuff, but sometime I will need to use a win10 laptop.

Anyone have any recommendations for a decent KVM switch please?

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
Hi folks - looking for a recommendation for a decent KVM switch since my company no longer allows me to use our VPN on my home PC (logical, I guess)... most of the time I can just use MFA to access work stuff, but sometime I will need to use a win10 laptop.

Just out of interest (slightly off topic), why is it logic for them to not let you use your VPN at home? Genuine question, not a dig in any way!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just out of interest (slightly off topic), why is it logic for them to not let you use your VPN at home? Genuine question, not a dig in any way!
This wouldn't have anything to you nuking your home PC would it @Jupitus ;)

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

We are going to be acquired soon by London Stock Exchange group, who have very strict compliance regulations (necessary for the authorities) so I only company managed devices can connect where they can monitor everything, restrict apps etc etc... I am not letting them control my own PC... with the work laptop it's all fine, but I don't have the physical space to have both on my desk with monitors etc....

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
This wouldn't have anything to you nuking your home PC would it @Jupitus ;)

Actually, it has everything to do with it!! It was me dodging the O365 sign in 'your company wants to manage this device' stuff that started all of that!!!

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
We are going to be acquired soon by London Stock Exchange group, who have very strict compliance regulations (necessary for the authorities) so I only company managed devices can connect where they can monitor everything, restrict apps etc etc... I am not letting them control my own PC... with the work laptop it's all fine, but I don't have the physical space to have both on my desk with monitors etc....
Oh yes absolutely fair enough, makes sense! I asked because I was just wondering if there was something for me to worry about, but I use a work issued laptop. They do snoop like mad though and I've been told off for gaming multiple times.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't know what a KVM switch is, sorry.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Isn't KVM overkill then fella. Seems a dock would do the job unless you're going to use both at the same time?

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Isn't KVM overkill then fella. Seems a dock would do the job unless you're going to use both at the same time?

It's deskspace, Meg... I'd like to put my work laptop on a side shelf under the desk as my own PC is setup with a good comfortable position, then just switch between them. Just have the switch on the desk for the occasions when I do need to use the VPN.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Oh yes absolutely fair enough, makes sense! I asked because I was just wondering if there was something for me to worry about, but I use a work issued laptop. They do snoop like mad though and I've been told off for gaming multiple times.

Anyway, back on topic. I don't know what a KVM switch is, sorry.

I believe it is 'Keyboard Video Mouse' switching, so you have 1 keyboard, 1 monitor and 1 mouse to control both PCs as you choose....

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Is this one you have experience with? Reviews look a bit mixed...

Not directly - have experience with Aten KVMs, but earlier models, with VGA/USB/Audio. Never had issues with them.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not directly - have experience with Aten KVMs, but earlier models, with VGA/USB/Audio. Never had issues with them.

Cool, thanks!

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Just fucking buy it and see what it is like, it costs about as much as you spend in the pub in a 4 hour window.

Jupitus

Staff member
FH Subscriber

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Thanks Zarjazz... I think that is probably more sophisticated than I need, plus I have taken the plunge and ordered one for about 30 quid (as per @Deebs comments!)...
The VPN situation adds to the complexity of using a software solution but I've used several (along with a few different actual switches) over the years - Mouse Without Borders is free and a doddle to set up if they're both Windows, Input Director is another one, as is Synergy. I haven't used the last 2 for years but I think MWB needs both systems to be on the same subnet on the same LAN.

The software ones are great but they're better if you have multiple computers with a screen (or more) each. You can just move your mouse between the systems and the keyboard works with whichever system the mouse is active on. Shared clipboard, copying files, simultaneous locking etc.

As for hardware, I think I've used a Belkin one yonks ago and an Aten DisplayPort one more recently. They all do multiple USB switching (some will do PS/2 for older mice/keyboards) but you need to pay attention to the video outputs. Older ones will do VGA or DVI-D and more recent will do HDMI or DisplayPort (and the cheaper ones will pick one of the standards and use it for all 3 connections (2 inputs and 1 output). You can get adapters and stuff but it's always easier if it's all native connections.

The Aten ones are decent, you only need that little port selector button on your desk, you can hide the rest. My one let you set up a keyboard shortcut to switch as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom