Knights of the Old Republic - My mini-review

C

cHodAX

I have had a week to play the game and so I thought it was time to give my opinion. First of all let me say that as great as this game is on Xbox the console still can't truly do the game justice. The graphics are nice, not stunning but very good. The interface is great for a console game but still feels clunky at first if you are used to PC games. The PC version of this game is going to be something special in my opinion. Faster loading of zones, higher resolution graphics and a reworked interface will turn it into one of the greatest PC games ever.

RPG fans are just going to love Knights of the Old Republic, it has an extremly rich backstory and diverse plot. There are multiple ways to complete most quests and some of them are very difficult to complete. You can spend countless hours talking to NPC's and thinking about ways to complete your tasks. The atmosphere feels great, when you enter a cantina and they have a band playing just like the SW:EP4 it makes you feel you are really part of the story.

For my first run through the game I choose the scout class and decided to follow the light side of the force. Combat is very easy after the initial 10 minutes of confusion. Halfway through the 2nd chapter I was given the chance to become a Jedi Padawan and a few hours later I was making my very own Lightsabre. Items drop in the game that allow you to create your own equipment or upgrade it, there are crystals that add some great features to you lightsabres. My scout is currently dual wielding a lightsabre with enhanced damage and a 25% chance to proc a stun, my offhand lightsabre has increased accuracy and a 25% chance of turning any critical strike into a 'Massive Critical'. You can play the combat as real time or turnbased, there is a command queuing system that allows you to pull off a power move and then follow it up with other moves like a flurry which can hit multiple targets.

I have read reviews that estimate the game has having 60 hours of gameplay, that seems very conservative to me. If you actually pay full attention to the dialog and do all the side quests I would say there is 80+ hours. Then you can go back and play the opposite, my Sith character is a real badass and although many of the quests are the same you can just be evil and kill half the NPC, then loot thier bodies. So far I have about 30 hours played and I am roughly 1/3rd of the way through, the quests are starting to become much harder and the combat far more tactical.

That is all I can think of for now. If you buy this game you won't be disappointed, as an overall game it top quality.

M

mirieth

Sounds awesome.

I await the PC version eagerley (sp?) :). Let's hope there's decent multiplayer support in it too... sounds like it would be really fun to play with friends. :D

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by mirieth
Sounds awesome.

I await the PC version eagerley (sp?) :). Let's hope there's decent multiplayer support in it too... sounds like it would be really fun to play with friends. :D

Looking like no multiplayer when it ships, best we can hope for is a multiplayer patch when it sells by the truckload. Which it will ;)

M

mirieth

That's a shame, but aye, there could very well be a patch. What about the module building as seen in NWN?

C

cHodAX

Originally posted by mirieth
That's a shame, but aye, there could very well be a patch. What about the module building as seen in NWN?

No news, they are very hush-hush atm but I think they will sell so many copies they will expand the game via patches and addon packs.

O

old.LandShark

Any reason one couldn't import it from the states?
I have a friend coming into the country soon from America, seems like I might get him to bring me a copy. Even though my comp won't be able to handle it for a few months. :p

B

Belsameth

the PC version isn't out yet
it's X-Box only atm

H

heilel

Even tho I hate Star Wars,I'm probably gonna buy this when it comes out on the PC.
It sounds like a great game.

C

Cush

Tried it some aswell and it migth be fun on pc.. just way to annoying to play a game like that on a consol.. realy need a keyboard and a mouse for it to work propely.

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Any idea of what specs will be needed to play this game?

I heard that it will be released in December so I should have scraped enough money together by then to get any more bits'n'bobs that I need to make the game work. :)

M

mirieth

I'd guess a lot of the graphical options can be tuned down so that it will work on an 'average' machine. My guess would be, though, looking at the screenshots and such, that the main factor for this game will be how much you ram your PC has. With large cities, lots NPCs, large battles and so forth you're going to want around 512mb+ to make the most of it. Not to say you couldn't run it with less ram though, I'd guess.

I'd say an average speed processor, a half-decent gfx card and a decent chunk of ram and you'll be laughing :).

T

tris-

all you need is a P3, 64 MB ram, 9gb HDD, specialy designed NVIDIA card and a s-controller

:)

J

Jonaldo

Well no-one has less than 1gb RAM these days anyway so it'll most likely depend upon GFX card & Processor.

M

mirieth

They don't? :\

I have 768mb and I thought that was rather over-kill just for games-playing...

T

tris-

bah no one got less than a 32" inch plasma screen and a 3GHZ cpu do they? with 3GB of ram of course.

G

gengi

486dx2 4tehwhine!!!!!!!!!122221111111122 oh and an old black and white portable tele and 64k of ram

Later

Users who are viewing this thread