kitkat update

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Getting the pestering notifications...so did some research...seems the only game changer is that apps cant write to an SD catd...yes they have disabled it with no obvious warning and apps you have that store or access data on an SD card will just fail...often without warning....as in save a game on the catd and go back to play and the save is lost..
People are reporting 3rd party music and camera apps wont work off the SD...bit of a bummer if you have a nice 64gb card for all your stuff.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
That's not entirely true. What's changed is letting 3rd party apps read and write to anywhere on the sd card. They can still do it with any folders they create or have ownership of.

In the short term it's a bit of a pain until devs change things, but long term it's much more secure.

Some things have changed for the better in terms of storage too, like Google music now being able to store downloaded music on the sd.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Getting the pestering notifications...so did some research...seems the only game changer is that apps cant write to an SD catd...yes they have disabled it with no obvious warning and apps you have that store or access data on an SD card will just fail...often without warning....as in save a game on the catd and go back to play and the save is lost..
People are reporting 3rd party music and camera apps wont work off the SD...bit of a bummer if you have a nice 64gb card for all your stuff.

You might be better off with a bit of chalk and a slate.

Job

OK, so you just have to wait for apps affected to update, there's talk of Google pushing away from SD because of the problems it causes.
I suppose if the next gen phones come with 256gb, then that's less of a problem, but it worries me that Samsung are the last of the removable batteries which Google are hinting at not liking either, not exactly sure why.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Because with a permanent battery they have a lot more room to put more stuff in the phone. When you think about it, the battery and battery compartment take up a lot of space in the greater scheme of things, a few millimetres more wriggle room in a phone is huge. When was the last time you replaced a battery?

Job

I take backup batteries when camoing in the hills

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I like replaceable batteries. It's the only way I know of to restart a frozen phone (happened semi-regularly with my SE W950i towards the end of its life and occasionally with my Galaxy S2).

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
When was the last time you replaced a battery?

Not done it yet, but will be purchasing a couple this year - long bike rides (which I track using endomondo) and camping excusions - so I may not be near a charge point for a few days at a time and it may be a week before I'd spend long enough next to a socket to fully charge a battery...

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not done it yet, but will be purchasing a couple this year - long bike rides (which I track using endomondo) and camping excusions - so I may not be near a charge point for a few days at a time and it may be a week before I'd spend long enough next to a socket to fully charge a battery...

Cheaper to get something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/bicycle-usb-charger

Shirley?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Cheaper to get something like

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/bicycle-usb-charger

Shirley?

Interesting, but nope - don't want shit clutting up my handlebars. Plus, I'm not a roadie, so when I'm hurtling down mountains there's a good chance that it'd either shake off the mountings or get smashed up when I crash. I'd rather have it tucked in a pocket or in my underseat bike bag. (Still gets a GPS signal fine in there) - and I get the added safety of never being tempted to look at the screen rather than my surroundings.

Can get a genuine replacement battery for 20 quid...

Job

Very few portable chargers charge with much current, I've got a good one about the size of a pack of cards that charges at 1 amp, but will only charge phone 3x , I can carry 5 batteries for the same size and with insta refill.
I think electronic manufacturers are going to be under pressure to drop removal batteries because of dodgy copies and the fire on a plane cause by a phone battery falling down the back of a seat and catching fire.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
It also means they can charge you more for non user changeable parts....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom