Killing the Dragon

A

accollon

Well done to Vay for organising tonight, found this on VN boards, seems we were right about not casting from range and all getting in close...

..............................................................................................
You can heal, just make sure healer is in melee range of the beast.

Make a rez/rebuff group with 6 clerics, a theurg, and a misntrel. Each tim ea person falls get 'em back up and rebuff them so they can get right back to work.

At all times have the dragon surrounded. You WILL get AoE'd at soem point. This way at worst maybe 1/3 of your force will be killed during the fatal hit.

Everybody needs a damage buff, and pally chant is also a huge plus. If you have heat resist buffs, use them.

Take full advantage of pet spam and AF debuffs. This is absolutely necessary if you want a decent to-hit ratio on the Dragon. Obviously, the more people you can bring the better. If you arent healing, rezzing, or debuffing, you're meleeing, dotn care what class. More people on the mob equals lowered effective AF equals easier to hit.

The dragon seems to be especially aoe happy at the initial assault. A theurg or three to distract him from the opposite direction while the rest charge may be helpful in getting everybody in safely.

The hitns teh dragon yell during attacks seem to indicate that air theurg (perhaps spirit damage in general?) and ruby simmy pets are weaknesses, but this hasnt been tested to my knowledge.

Near the end of the fight you will get stunned twice. Set up specifically who will purge and when so to keep people on it at all times.

Might also b ea good idea to have a group or two of people who specifically DO NOT pull dragon aggro, and have those people be the ones to kill off the occasional giant pops.

Hope that helps some.
..................................................................................

and another one

..................................................................................

I led a raid last night on Guinevere that killed Golestandt.

We left the summoning tower with 150, but we had 130-140 when we actually killed the dragon.

Strategies for killing him:

1.) Set up at least one, if not two dedicated rezzing teams. In this team you should have 6 clerics, a minstrel, and a mage to provide constant weapon damage rebuffs for the rezzed. To provide power to the rezzers, the minstrel runs minstrel song, AND you should have 3-4 necromancers and cabalists dueling constantly. The necromancers powertap the cabbie pet, and feed power to the rezzers. Works beautifully.

2.) Utilize friar & paladin heat resists. We asked the friars in our group to join a party, buff, then move on if there was no paladin. If you have a paladin in a group, have them twist their AF, Damage and Heat resist chants.

3.) Have Theurgists move to the W side, and cast all the earth and air pets they can handle at the dragon. This lures him off the hill, and gets him to waste his first breath attack on the pets. Again, having another necro/cabby team or two here is a good idea, because you want theurgists able to keep sending pets at the dragon throughout the fight to decrease the dragon's defense. With a number of theurgists casting pets, your raid can go from 125 people to 200 easily, as far as the defense rate is concerned.

4.) Once Gole moves off the hill, charge him, and have everyone /stick. This is vital. We came from the South side while the theurgists kept his attention to the West. We immediately surrounded him, and KEPT him surrounded. If you keep him surrounded, even if he uses his breath weapon, he's only likely to take out 1/4 to 1/3 of the group.

5.) Make sure everyone knows the way back to the castle when they are ported, and that they need to get back ASAP. I was ported three times in a row at the start of the fight last night. Talk about annoying.

6.) When the granite giants aggro, have the party kill them, then return to the dragon. It's much more efficient that way.

7.) A lot of raids tell clerics not to heal because of the aggro, but I was able to heal quite successfully. I even used instant and group heals with no aggro, so I suppose this is an individual preference. It all depends on how many clerics you have on your rezzing team, really.

8.) Have everyone able purge the stuns at the end. He will stun you twice... so even if you purge one, you're likely to get stuck with another. It sucks, but there's no way around it. An alternate idea would be to tell, say, armsmen *only* to purge on the first stun, and everyone *else* with purge to do so on the second stun, so you constantly keep people hitting. I don't know that this is of vital importance, though.

I think that's it. Hope something there is helpful.

............................................................................................
They also mention spirit damage and some cabbie pets being weaknesses

O

old.mattshanes

Lots of theurgs there spamming pets it will go down quick even people with shit weaponskill will hit O_O but he aoe nukes more it seems,in my view petspam may be only way+melee ontop of it as pets hit him.

V

vayasen

Ok nice info.

Maybe paste this to the Gombur thread(too tired to do it..its toooo late)

O

old.Gombur Glodson

noticed it the second after it was posted ;)

O

old.linnet

You can swap the minstrel in the rebuff group with a sorcerer now ;)

O

old.Shivian

Originally posted by old.linnet
You can swap the minstrel in the rebuff group with a sorcerer now ;)

You could, but how many sorcerers will have powersong 5? Not any I know off, but I do know plenty of minstrels with it (myself included).

O

old.linnet

Oh, I know a couple of sorcerers with power regen 5 (I know Spathi has it). But really there isn't that much difference from powersong 4 to 5 and the convenience of being able to buff people outside the group (remember this is the rez + buff group) more than makes up for it.

Besides which, do you really want to just sit at the back and play drums while everyone else is fighting? :)

O

old.Shivian

Originally posted by old.linnet
Besides which, do you really want to just sit at the back and play drums while everyone else is fighting? :)

Nope, just trying to keep us minstrels in a job :)

O

old.windforce

Set up at least one, if not two dedicated rezzing teams. In this team you should have 6 clerics, a minstrel, and a mage to provide constant weapon damage rebuffs for the rezzed. To provide power to the rezzers, the minstrel runs minstrel song, AND you should have 3-4 necromancers and cabalists dueling constantly. The necromancers powertap the cabbie pet, and feed power to the rezzers. Works beautifully

extreme usefull tip

Users who are viewing this thread