Kill The Clusters

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
From an RvR perspective, clustering doesn't work. Not really. You have too many conflicts of interest once people have multiple chars spread around different realms on the same cluster.

People are merrily hopping realm as the situation changes, playing the realm which at that exact moment gives them the most advantage, undermining all attempts at team spirit and cooperation in a realm. There are many specific instances I don't want to go into because I don't want to get sidetracked into a different topic. The net effect of all these activities though is to undermine DAoC's excellent RvR system.

Its time to kill the clusters as they currently stand. Force characters with more than one realm on any given account to be moved to another cluster, even if its a foreign language server. Account owner gets to choose which is their primary/main char and that stays on the cluster, the rest choose which cluster they want to be moved to next time they log in or via the account management page.

Clustering *does* work for PvE by and large because there is no real conflict of interest but for RvR its a deathblow. And I mean RvR, not PvP.

Since reactivating I've been looking out for signs of actual RvR - not groups taking keeps to get iRvR going, or people damaging keep doors just to be gits rather than as some overall strategy. Actual bona fida RvR where each side takes to the battlefield against the enemy realm, not playing Counterstrike in medieval costume.

Clusters are killing RvR.

Kill the clusters as they currently stand to remove conflict of interest. 1 realm per account per cluster.

Agrigo

Can't get enough of FH
Aye, I agree that ppl switching realms on a cluster for max benifet does happen. I won't lie that I have done this myself from time to time, but mostly when logging on I pick the realm by how many guildies are on.

Now, that said, if they actully did what you are preposing and forced me to move one realm to a different server (which is a foreign language or some other english one they made) ill be fucked if ill continue to pay the subs. They try to remove me from one of my guilds and ppl I consider friends and ill not pay them for it :)

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
Prefer cluster and their issues to no one to fight tbh...

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I'm not expecting a postive response to this thread. I enjoy the FG stuff and the other stuff, but I could do that in most games. What makes DAoC different from most games is the potential for some extra depth.

Bear in mind also that moving accounts between clusters potentially brings in accounts from other clusters.

Edit: Hec, for that matter, kill Dyvet and just have 3 Euro clusters. Fix the client DAoC Euro language issues and sorted.

Septima

Fledgling Freddie
I'm not expecting a postive response to this thread. I enjoy the FG stuff and the other stuff, but I could do that in most games. What makes DAoC different from most games is the potential for some extra depth.

Bear in mind also that moving accounts between clusters potentially brings in accounts from other clusters.

Fair enough, but unfortunatly most of the roleplaying part of this game is long gone :)

Thadius

Part of the furniture
I think clustering is the best option in every scenario. Lets face it, the game is so old now, everyone that still plays is pretty much bored and only stay for thier guilds/friends who still like to have a crack at rvr. Mythic realise this and keep trying to change things to keep the old lot interested, due to the lack of new members due to games like WOW

Look at Gaheris, 3 servers there. That allows a character to have a character in each realm on the same cluster.

I think thats a great idea, whats better to when your realm mates are either being zergy or there is nothing going on, to log on to another character on the same cluster and then go take them out?

Some of the most funnest times are when I was playing Mid and I kept meeting my hib guild in rvr. Its nice to be able to have the choice, hell, its what makes Gaheris have around 3k pernight or something daft

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
If by roleplaying you mean the sense of playing as part of a team thats bigger than your own guild of immediate group of friends then I agree. Seems to be gone indeed.

Not seen much sign of that cameraderie we used to enjoy. Even back in the day I didn't roleplay much (the backstory for Roo is just too nasty to actually roleplay it, a roleplay mistake I've not made since in other games with other chars) - I just liked getting a few hundred close personal friends and going and having some big fights.

Enemy FG/opted guilds got to nibble around picking off strays (or groups of strays), larger teams would take out specific targets, our own opted peeps would sometimes help out and were crucial as relic carriers when it counted. Fond memories of Everlast (yes even Maelstrom hi Snoz :D ) and others (Public Enemies and Forgotten Legends when I played Alb). We'd have stealthers coordinating the communications, jobs for everyone and siege teams cackling as they lobbed munitions at, well, whatever they could hit.
Wasn't just relic raids - all kinds of ingame warfare - sieges, ambushes, feinting attacks as a realm, keeping the enemy off balance. Probing, poking, misdirecting

Realm level team. Gone it seems.

Saddest thing I've noticed since reactivating. I wouldn't even care if there was someone else running relic-related activity, at least it would be some realm level activity. I'd be able to be lazy and just turn up for the fun :)

Its nothing to do with server population but the undermining nature of conflicting interests. Conflicting interests arising from the clustering implementation.

Keep the concept of clustering to get enough people together for action to be possible but get rid of the current config where people can have multiple and opposing chars on the same cluster.

Thadius

Part of the furniture
If by roleplaying you mean the sense of playing as part of a team thats bigger than your own guild of immediate group of friends then I agree. Seems to be gone indeed.

Not seen much sign of that cameraderie we used to enjoy. Even back in the day I didn't roleplay much (the backstory for Roo is just too nasty to actually roleplay it, a roleplay mistake I've not made since in other games with other chars) - I just liked getting a few hundred close personal friends and going and having some big fights.

Enemy FG/opted guilds got to nibble around picking off strays (or groups of strays), larger teams would take out specific targets, our own opted peeps would sometimes help out and were crucial as relic carriers when it counted. Fond memories of Everlast (yes even Maelstrom hi Snoz :D ) and others (Public Enemies and Forgotten Legends when I played Alb). We'd have stealthers coordinating the communications, jobs for everyone and siege teams cackling as they lobbed munitions at, well, whatever they could hit.
Wasn't just relic raids - all kinds of ingame warfare - sieges, ambushes, feinting attacks as a realm, keeping the enemy off balance. Probing, poking, misdirecting

Realm level team. Gone it seems.

Saddest thing I've noticed since reactivating. I wouldn't even care if there was someone else running relic-related activity, at least it would be some realm level activity. I'd be able to be lazy and just turn up for the fun :)

Its nothing to do with server population but the undermining nature of conflicting interests. Conflicting interests arising from the clustering implementation.

Keep the concept of clustering to get enough people together for action to be possible but get rid of the current config where people can have multiple and opposing chars on the same cluster.

That sort of mentality died with OF. NF became too big for the fgs to go pick off strays, recon groups etc.

Amanita

Part of the furniture
I don't think ditching the clusters is the answer but re-introducing a harsh log in timer might reduce some of the "relic hopping" I feel all too well when one realm owns all six relics. It wasn't even that much fun when it was my own realm.

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
sure, if you would at the same time forbid ppl to have more then one account.

no? didn't think so.

C

Carss

lol or not

have people complaining about realm spirit or other crap in rvr or have no rvr

kivik

Part of the furniture
I've actually never decided what realm to play on Dyvet depending on relic situation or iRvR, but I could imagine many others do. It's bad, but realm spirit is long gone (not like I felt like there was much more of it in the OF).

WiZe^

Can't get enough of FH
dude has point... or u can rly think in that what way whit the daoc "on the bring of death" ;)

Everz

FH is my second home
lol, Roo has a point.. excal/pryd clustering was the worst idea ever.. imo.. just cause what little was left of my guild collasped :/

GReaper

Part of the furniture
I'd say some of the problems aren't just cluster related, but some of the other issues which cause them are a lack of population, bad design with New Frontiers and the fact the game is so old people can't be arsed to do "real" RvR anymore.

Is there really much need for teamwork and coordination when the action is pointed to you on a map? Why help the realm when PvP style killing gives more RPs than other forms of RvR?

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Best idea ever, would mean I can transfer my spiritmaster to Temair. Give!

Azathrim

Fledgling Freddie
The spirit of your post is spot on Roo. Unfortunately it cannot be done in any way or shape.

Considering GoA inability to even communicate their ideas for the Dyvet clusters future, I wouldn't have any hopes for them actually getting around to doing a major change like this.

My bet is, that your only hope is that Mythic learned from DAoC and gets around the problems in WAR.

I would also suggest you stay away from GoA if you try out WAR. They constantly prove their incompetence. No reason to give them a second chance on WAR. Especially not with goons like Requiel wrecking things there as well.

fenrisan

One of Freddy's beloved
Realm spirit died when Roo became Oro :twak:

hehe but seriously, did the game evolve? - I cry for that innocent noobling I was back in OF fighting for the realm and playing the game as it was designed to be played. What happened? well I sure there are a hundred reasons, which I'll leave other people to list, but at the end of the day nothing can stand still. Whilst DAoC is still the finest example of RvR, PvP, 8v8, 1v1 on the market at the moment I believe the real problem is that there has been no significant influx of new players since those old times, just us sad old farts remembering how it was great to be a noob :)

We're still here, the goals haven't changed (that much) but I suspect we have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom