Kemor/Goa

A

angsth

I am sure they are working on the translation of the german text for the ETA. And after that, they will fix the server...if they find it

V

Vireb

Originally posted by Begach
My guess would be that 1 piece of hardware has fallen over that services both avalon and excal.
heard a rumor that a fuse in the extension lead to these 2 servers blew, cant get an electrician until monday afternoon :)

R

Ravenbourne

I would advise anyone who has had money taken out of their account by Goa without their concent to speak to trading standards, speak to your bank or seek advise from someone with a legal background. Do not accuse them over a public forum. there policy of refusing to refund money IS illegal as any transaction for a product, in this case online time by law, has to be refundable. If you the consumer feel and can prove you have not recieved the service you have paid for, in some cases no service, under european law are entitled to a full refund.

R

Ravenbourne

On another point, at least nobody will have to put up with Goa ever again when DAOC dies, which at this rate will be soon in europe because nobody will touch them, they _can_not run a service like this in todays industry which is cut to the bone. what people want people get or they go elsewhere.

With WoW coming late this year/early next, everquest 2 and various others there will be a lot more choice to people, most of the new mmorpg will suck i imagine but i am sure at least one or two will be good enough to kill daoc, in its current shitty state.

DAOC is a fantastic game imo and could go on for one maybe two more years, heck with good development it could go even longer. but in Europe there is no way it will last with Goa manageing it

T

Talifer

Originally posted by Begach
I'm not tbh interested in what GOA have to say only that they make an effort to keep the servers
B.

Do you class not having staff on call during weekends 'effort' enough?
Do you think unplugging the subscription pages every Friday because you don't have staff working who can monitor them because your lacks security allowed them to be hacked in the first place, is effort?
Do you think waiting for the next patch and praying it fixes the permanently broken XML is effort enough?

I can't say I do. There is no effort to keep the servers up.

GOA aren't just awful because of their lack of communication, their staff aren't competent enough for the task at hand and they run a 24/7 service on a 5 day, 9 to 5 work ethic.

Talifer

E

elryrith

Originally posted by -ag-bometal
Not a flame,

Just wondering if Goa/Kemor are aware that excalibur is down and that they are fixing it or must we wait until monday morning ?

So please something on the website or can someone from E&E please mail em to inform em ?

TIA,

Bometal

Kemor is the pwyd gm

Zargar is the excal gm

the eye and ears forum was informed just after the server died

O

oshikai

Cant any of you guys ever look at the other side of the coin ? If any server goes down for a length of time you usually get free days play as a credit !

Not many service providers will do somthing like that, for example .....

3 times in 6 months the water mains have burst down my road & ive been without water, my water provider did not refund the money i spent on bottled water nor did i get a reduction in my water rates.

The last time my phone died a death i got no reduction on my line rental.

If i got a rebate every time my cable box froze, NTL would be paying me each month & not the other way round.

At least if Pryd or Excal goes down you can log in to the other & if that fails theres always Camlann (Although id rather eat glass than play there, but thats just me ).

As an extreme alternative, if you cant get into play DAoC, you could always go out ( i know its scary out there but try it, somtimes its fun ) ;)

Final thought, if GOA advertised that the servers were really only supposed to be active from 9am - 5pm every day & we found we could really access them 24/7 99% of the time would these boards be full of praise for the litte French fella's ?

O

old.davidlqs

Originally posted by oshikai
Cant any of you guys ever look at the other side of the coin ? If any server goes down for a length of time you usually get free days play as a credit !

3 times in 6 months the water mains have burst down my road & ive been without water, my water provider did not refund the money i spent on bottled water nor did i get a reduction in my water rates.

If i got a rebate every time my cable box froze, NTL would be paying me each month & not the other way round.

At least if Pryd or Excal goes down you can log in to the other & if that fails theres always Camlann (Although id rather eat glass than play there, but thats just me ).

As an extreme alternative, if you cant get into play DAoC, you could always go out ( i know its scary out there but try it, somtimes its fun ) ;)

Final thought, if GOA advertised that the servers were really only supposed to be active from 9am - 5pm every day & we found we could really access them 24/7 99% of the time would these boards be full of praise for the litte French fella's ?

Brace yourself mate, you're going to be reeeaaalllly popular here :)

Play another server?
Play another game?
GO OUTSIDE?

Are you insane? This is Barryswhine you fool ;)

O

oshikai

Aye i know mate,

But i usually post on Prydwen.net & thats gone awol at the moment, one thing i do know though, is when Pryd.net is back it wont be full of whines about it being down for so long but full of posts about how good it is to see it back up ;)

T

Talifer

It's a token gesture that effects the individual in a miniscule way. The impact in a days loss of service is more than the cost of the service alone, as I'm sure you found with the water board.

The difference here is that you can phone the water company, the phone company, the cable company and get them to fix it. These companies will probably solve your problem or send out engineers the same day. If you phoned the water board and said there's a burst pipe in my street spewing water down the road and they said sorry we're not at work today, we'll fix in Monday morning, you may have a point. All these companies provide support as well as the service, I'm with NTL too, my box freezes I phone them up they fiddle with something and as if by magic it comes alive again.

But you raise a good point with the bottled water, I should be charging GOA for my copy of Max Payne II which I bought to play in DAoC's absence :)

Probably yes, but if they advertised it as a 9-5 game they wouldn't have many customers to support so it would probably run a lot smoother anyway :)

Talifer

G

Gethin

I think the problem is that the English servers seem to be an afterthought for GOA. The majority of their income comes from the French and German servers so we tend to get overlooked (Best example was the server upgrade, the German and French servers got hardware upgrades way before us).

It wouldn't surprise me if GOA didnt want the English servers due to additional costs related to translation of the code back to its original language, implementation and maintenance, but, were forced to by Mythic as part of the european agreement.

Imho probably the best thing that could happen (albeit unlikely) is that the English servers are run by another company other than GOA (preferably Mythic).

Sadly, I doubt that anything useful will come from all our protestations in the short time, however, what issues such this highlight are the problems maintaining multiple languages versions, especially the minority ones.

I hope that in future companies like Mythic consider the problems this causes and group minority language servers with counterparts that use the same language or a similar one rather than work on regional boundaries.

O

old.davidlqs

Originally posted by Gethin

It wouldn't surprise me if GOA didnt want the English servers due to additional costs related to translation of the code back to its original language, implementation and maintenance, but, were forced to by Mythic as part of the european agreement.

I really don't understand why they need to re-translate back to English for our servers. As someone else has already posted, we still get all the American "mis-spellings" of words like colour and honour and labour, so what translation is being done?

I can appreciate GOA not wanting servers on different versions (shudder, nightmare), but I really don't see why the English servers can't just use the US versions as they are.

Oh wait, its the "additional content" that GOA give us isn't it?

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Talifer

I'm with NTL too, my box freezes I phone them up they fiddle with something and as if by magic it comes alive again.

Actually I get "well we can maybe get an engineer out to you by next friday" :)

F

Flimgoblin

Originally posted by Gethin
I think the problem is that the English servers seem to be an afterthought for GOA. The majority of their income comes from the French and German servers so we tend to get overlooked (Best example was the server upgrade, the German and French servers got hardware upgrades way before us).

try reading the news - they did the servers in order of population - Logres (a german server...) and Prydwen were the latest to be updated. Excalibur was upgraded ages ago.

Users who are viewing this thread