k, little thought needed thanks

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
awwrite ladies and germs I have a question.

teh background:
I want to sell my house and get a larger place. Larger means 3 bedrooms -or- two bedrooms and a place I can convert to a hobby/work/tech space that can be -more or less- soundproofed so I can have the pootas running / be playing games/music at proper volumes etc.

the question
Currently my flat has a very basic kitchen and a very basic hot water unit (that allows say two showers and 2x washing up before it needs to charge for 24hrs)
Both the kitchen and the boiler are the same age as the flat (22) I guess. the kitchen does have a built-in oven, fridge and dishwasher (but as I said they're starting to show their age)

Should I have a new boiler and kitchen (the most basic I can find) fitted before selling -or- should I not do it at the risk of selling my house slower/lower and save the cash to spend on my new place? I can argue both ways tbh. My flat is an ideal starter for a single person, with it's own (closed off, ie gated) parking spot, close to city/shops/sports facilities/access to moterway. Sadly, the type of person who will consider buying my flat is also the type of person (I guess) who won't want to do too much to it and want everythig to be new(ish) and stuff. Teh help!!

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
Check out the prices for equivalent properties with the features and without. If the cost of doing the work is less than the money you'd make it's a no brainer. If however it is less check to see how long properties without the features have been on the market. If it's expected of your sort of property and flats without haven been for sale for a long while then take the plunge and get them stuck in.

Damini

Part of the furniture
If you approach an estate agent, in England at least they will evaluate the value of your property for free. Then they will be able to explain how much they think the cost will increase if you added those commodities. It really depends - sometimes people like putting in thier own kitchen when they move into a property, though most people won't take on a property with a boiler that needs replacing.

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
We did that and that winter it blew up. :/ We had to wait till march to get it fixed with no central heating. (Luckily the shower was a power shower and hence heated by itself and the hot water tank had an imersion heater meaning we actually had some hot water)

TdC

aye, that's the trick isn't it? the boiler doesn't *need* replacing, as it functions perfectly well. just that a *new* one (doing exactly the same) feels that much better etc. I apply the same arguement to the kitchen.
One can counter by imagining that a starter type person won't be here long enough for something to wear out and actually need replacing. oh dear :(

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Adding a proper new boiler may not add any value, but it may make it more sellable. That's the difference, and it depends how quickly you'd like to move. It's those things which swing it. It's not going to make the house any more expensive, but people viewing it are more likely to say 'Ooh, it has proper boiler/hot water'. It's like double glazing, it's not something that adds much to the value, but it makes it more attractive.

As other people say, ask an estate agent, they mostly won't bullshit you as it's in their interests to have a house that's going to sell.

anattic

Fledgling Freddie
Not that I'm suggesting trying to deceive would-be buyers :) but...

...generally, as long as it's safe/works-at-all, I don't think people (esp. first time buyers) tend to check the performance of the boiler when they buy - merely that one exists.

As far as the kitchen goes, as long as it is tidy (i.e. nothing obviously growing that shouldn't be/fresh fruit/nice coffee smells/whatever else home makeover shows say is necessary) and doesn't look like it's falling to pieces, I don't think it would be a huge problem.

Maybe worth some cosmetic work e.g. painting the cupboards?

Will

/bin/su
Have you got a pic of how scummy the kitchen is?

As anattic says, if the boiler works, then most people won't enquire any further.

TdC

it's not scummy!! it's just old(ish) :(

TdC

:eek: Munkey :)

it's pretty basic (to my eyes), but in lieu of basic I should say old. it's getting on a bit. it has a diskwasher, oven and fridge built in. okish I guess, but it's just old kit. 3 years ago when I got it I loved it to bits, but I'd not accept it now.

TdC

oh heh :( you know what I mean!!

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Most of the 'sell your house quick' TV shows we have here in the UK seem to indicate that a quick trip to B&Q pick up as many new doors as you need and then fit them, does a 'tired ' kitchen up no end. As for the boiler, not sure, sometimes I think you can be liable if something like that fails early doors after the sale, when I bought the house the Combi-boiler packed in just after the previous incumbents would have had to cough up for a new one.
The TV people all seem to agree, neutral colours for the quick sale too, and no clutter.

Later

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
As has been said, a new boiler would make the place more attractive to buy: There's lots of publicity over here at the moment about energy saving boilers knocking double figure percentages off heating bills, which is something that probably would boost the sale.

As cheesy as they are, the "Moving House" programs do actually throw up some interesting selling tips. If dutch TV has maintained more dignity, get someone to send you a video ;) Well... maybe don't go quite that far...

~Yuckfou~

Lovely person
You should decorate the whole flat, remove any clutter and unnecessary items. If the kitchen or bathroom look "tired" redo then. Re-carpet also were they show their age. All of this will cost you money, however it will not only make the flat easier to sell but make it sell for more.
You want to create an impression when people view the property, make it stand out from the others they view. Ask yourself a question, "would I buy this property?".

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
TDC old bean. Have you considered moving into a new place and renting your current place out?

One of the reasons I bought my current 3-bedroomer is that when I move out into a new place I'll be renting this one out for about £450-500/month and prolly using that income to get 2 more buy-to-let properties on an interest only mortgage :)

Tilda

Scouse said:
TDC old bean. Have you considered moving into a new place and renting your current place out?

One of the reasons I bought my current 3-bedroomer is that when I move out into a new place I'll be renting this one out for about £450-500/month and prolly using that income to get 2 more buy-to-let properties on an interest only mortgage :)
My auntie and uncle do this, started with one and now have quite a few houses/flats. My uncle is very (engineer) DIY savvy and so they buy shit places, and redo everything to make it nice. They seem to have quite a bit of cash ;)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Things that add value to your house in the UK

Nice Kitchen
Central Heating
Double Glazing
Off-road Parking

And thats pretty much the main stuff. Conservatories and extensions obviously make you more money, but boilers and such make no real difference, so long as it works, just get shut of the place. When you're out of there, its their problem.

TdC

hmm, I'm not sure renting it out is allowed by law. I'll have to look into this.
other than that, I can get a new kitchen reasonably cheapox, and that includes a cooking plate, fridge and (maybe) a dishwasher. I don't particularly want to get a new boiler along with the kitchen unless they are not too expensive (which they are, I've been led to believe. expensive that is.) I have central heating, double glazing and offroad private parking though, so that's a slight plus.

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
Currently my flat has a very basic kitchen and a very basic hot water unit (that allows say two showers and 2x washing up before it needs to charge for 24hrs)
Both the kitchen and the boiler are the same age as the flat (22) I guess. the kitchen does have a built-in oven, fridge and dishwasher (but as I said they're starting to show their age)

Should I have a new boiler and kitchen (the most basic I can find) fitted before selling -or- should I not do it at the risk of selling my house slower/lower and save the cash to spend on my new place?

Tell me a bit more about your boiler.. I'm a plumbing and heating engineer.
I'm guessing its not gas, but i could be wrong, is it gas? if so is it a combi boiler? Does it have a seperate hot tank (cylinder)? If its not gas is it oil fired? Or is it heated by a back boiler e.g. glass fronted fire? You only get hot water if the fire is lit or the immersion heater is turned on.

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
RandomBastard said:
We did that and that winter it blew up. :/ We had to wait till march to get it fixed with no central heating. (Luckily the shower was a power shower and hence heated by itself and the hot water tank had an imersion heater meaning we actually had some hot water)

power showers are not heated by itself, electric showers are :) power showers run off the hot and cold water system as normal. If it was a power shower then the only way u could get hot water would be through your immersion heater, i bet that wacked your electric bill up for those few months :)

TdC

oh dear, I'm hopeless at stuff like that :) here goes anyway:
the boiler looks like a big tank, about three feet tall. it's connected to the mains and (cold) water pipe, and I can see it's on via a glowey thing (not a led, but deffo electrical). every 24 hrs it charges itself with hot water, even if empty beforehand. there is a dial on the front that I can turn, but I have a fear that the mechanisme is broken, because it doesn't seem to do anything.
there's a plaque on the side with some mysterious numbers on it.

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
aye, that's the trick isn't it? the boiler doesn't *need* replacing, as it functions perfectly well. just that a *new* one (doing exactly the same) feels that much better etc. I apply the same arguement to the kitchen.
One can counter by imagining that a starter type person won't be here long enough for something to wear out and actually need replacing. oh dear :(

I work for my father who is a plumbing and heating engineer for over 35years and our moto over here (northern ireland) is that if the boiler is not physically leaking, then it doesnt need replaced. However the burner (box on the front) that heats the water does sometimes need replaced or repaired. Burners should be serviced every year, the engineer usually cleans the jets and puts a new nozzle in (thing that lets the oil flow through) as it gets blocked sometimes and this can prevent heating your water properly, costing u more money on oil etc. Although if a burner needs replaced it usually works out better to replace the whole lot as a new burner is about 70% of the total cost of the package (boiler+burner).

Sorry im assuming its an oil fired boiler, if it is get it serviced maybe. At the end of the date if it has central heating most people dont ask anything else like 'does it work properly' when buying the property. We have just put our own house up on the market and the guy from the estate agent who was evaluating the house didnt even notice our flu had a hole in it and was all rusted until my dad pointed it out and said he would be replacing it before it was sold etc.

TdC

btw, any idea what a 'joe average' boiler costs, and fitting costs? I'm clueless at this stuff :(

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
TdC said:
oh dear, I'm hopeless at stuff like that :) here goes anyway:
the boiler looks like a big tank, about three feet tall. it's connected to the mains and (cold) water pipe, and I can see it's on via a glowey thing (not a led, but deffo electrical). every 24 hrs it charges itself with hot water, even if empty beforehand. there is a dial on the front that I can turn, but I have a fear that the mechanisme is broken, because it doesn't seem to do anything.
there's a plaque on the side with some mysterious numbers on it.

ahh ok, doesnt sound like oil :) all boilers can be serviced, gas, oil, whatever etc. If you think getting it serviced might benefit the hot water system so you feel happier selling it then i would advise u get it done. Usually doesnt cost that much, maybe £35 call out charge over here +parts and labour, £80 maybe. But thats northern ireland and i know plumbing especially in england is much more expensive so i would find out hte costs first and dont take my word for it :)

SparKeh

Fledgling Freddie
Tilda said:
My auntie and uncle do this, started with one and now have quite a few houses/flats. My uncle is very (engineer) DIY savvy and so they buy shit places, and redo everything to make it nice. They seem to have quite a bit of cash ;)

My dad and I are gonna do this. We are both very "hands on" people. At the moment my parents are getting divorced and I am being forced out of my childhood home so they can sell it (pfft). Anyway.. we are looking to buy something small and cheap, live in it, do it up ourselves as tradesmen then sell it on and do it again until we can afford 2 places and do both up and rent one etc.

I have been looking at renting myself and the prices are wild, some people must make alot of money from it..

Will

/bin/su
I'd go for servicing the boiler, and changing the doors on the units. I don't think the new white goods would add as much value to the property as you would pay for them.

TdC

I suppose I can change the doors without too much hassle, it's just that the current built-in kit is so "old" that I hate using it. I'd just as soon have the oven, dishwasher and fridge ripped out so I can use the space for storage :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom