Just ordered DAoC with SI

K

kuragari

I was told what a great game this was and decided to have a look at it. Hey, it's £17.99 as a bundle, can't go wrong. So I've ordered it and it should be arriving within a few days.

After ordering, I've been searching through a fair few sites, reading up class information and creation, skills, RvR and I am quite impressed, and can't wait to get this.

Now, I like the stealthy characters - but there seems to be a lot of arguements between players about Albion Infiltrators using Slashing or Thrusting ( I always thought it a bit dodgy 'thrusting' your 'weapon behind your opponent') But then that's just me :kissit:

Also heard that there's a fair bit of hatred against Albions because they are labelled as a 'n00b team' or whatever. Not that it matters, I am a n00b.

Combat is the thing that confuses me - I want my char to sneak up behind an enemy mage/archer/healer and let off the largest kind of backstab he can do. How would I do that? Points allocated to Thrusting and Critcal Strike? Or just Critcal Strike alone?

O

old.tRoG

I could ramble on a whole lot more, but I tend to get the answers wrong when I do that ;)

*Waits patiently for a proper Infiltrator to come by*

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Most infiltrators prefer to auto-train stealth till about level 24. Basically, this means that you leave stealth completely alone until level 24 and don't put any points in it. The game automagically puts points into stealth for you every 4/5 levels. In other words, FREE POINTS! :D

The most important thing to do is to keep Critical Strike at current level, followed by Weapon and then by Envenom.

Although they are the most appealing to play, Infiltrators are one of the hardest classes to level. A lot of groups are prone to choose a tank or mage over you. You will do a lot of damage but you can't take as many hits as a paladin or armsman and a cleric will be cursing under his breath as he tries to heal you. ;)

Good luck with it though. They are great fun to play in the Battlegrounds and quite possibly the most feared class in there.

...aside from Shadowzerkers and ~snigger~ Nightshades. :)

S

SilverHood

infiltrators aren't the easiest class to level.... you'll be shunted by a lot of groups, simply for being one.

So expect hard leveling times ahead ;)

K

kuragari

Well, I have a friend who will be starting the game the same time I do, so we've agreed to team up and hunt together when the game(s) arrive. I think he's gonna be making a merc.

Plus, we know of 2 people playing already, a Paladin (lv. 34) who also has a lv.9 Cleric and another player who always makes new characters from what I hear.

Slow character progress isn't new to me, I played UO for some time and made a 6x Grandmaster crafter (smithing/tailoring/tinkering etc) They took some time to develop.

So... Thrusting/Critical/Envenom up to 24, then Stealth with the other skills... I was told to put a couple of points into dual wield also, just for a few techniques, will this work well? Or just a single weapon?

K

kuragari

So, have dual wield, just not put any points into it...

If I did have a small shield - Would Parry/Evade/Blocking all work together? Sorry for all the questions here. Or does parry only work with dual wield?

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

An infi with a shield is a...

Actually, I have only seen one infi with a shield. Umm, you could try it I guess. 99.9% of infiltrators use 2 weapons. You put a different type of poison on each blade and your enemy is in a world of pain. :)

As an infiltrator you don't get to spec in Parry and as a result I don't think I have ever parried a shot...ever. I guess you would block a fair bit but to be honest you would be better off having 2 weapons. As you advance through the levels you will start to evade like a demon and you will hardly need to block. :)

K

kuragari

Ok another question... I've read on a few forums that infiltrators are putting stealth up to 32-38 and using +skill items to get it up to 50. I also read that if you use these items, you do not get the skills (evade VII and the one you can fall further).

Is this true? If so, I need to play around with the character planner again...

C

Cap'n Sissyfoo

Urr...no comment. I haven't got that far. :)

You will get Evade VII regardless of your stealth level but you won't get the last Safe Falls.

That is what most people do though.

D

Danya

Originally posted by kuragari
So, have dual wield, just not put any points into it...

If I did have a small shield - Would Parry/Evade/Blocking all work together? Sorry for all the questions here. Or does parry only work with dual wield?
You can parry black and evade at the same time, however the only albion class with the ability to actually do all these things is the merc. Rogues can't parry.

K

kuragari

Well, I don't really plan to jump off really high walls... although it would make a nice last minute escape plan from keeps... if slightly suicidal. Hopefully land on something soft. 4 days and counting now - can't wait.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

You'll be pretty safe jumping off keeps with the safefall you get at the lower spec. I lose less than 50% health when I jump out of a keep and I'm a Healer with no safe fall whatsoever :)

T

The Real Redi

yeah, but falling damage is so random and so unpredictable - walking along an apprently flat piece of land you can suddenly suffer minute falling damage for no obvious reason, or going up stairs in a keep, slip off and get 20% falling damage for falling two feet...

very random, but from what i understand, most get away with the initial safe fall as jumping from a keep wall/milegate is about as far as it gets, unless you plan on DoTing the lord and then jumping out of his window :LOL:

K

kuragari

Ok, another question (I bet you all hate me now)... Is there a page anywhere on the net that explains all these abbreviations? I try and read posts by DAoC veterans only to try and understand a long list of seemingly pointless letters in no particular order. A few I can guess and others I know about but there are a lot...

O

old.Trine Aquavit

There are a couple of posts on these newbie boards that are likely to help you called:

"Abbreviations used in-game"

and

"Expressions again"

I suggest you take a look at them and, if there are any others you don't understand ask about them on these threads.

Many questions have already been asked many times before - it's a good idea to search for the questions using the board search facility before re-posting a question :)

K

kuragari

Thanks for those... might understand what people are on about now... :)

K

kuragari

One day to go!!

More and more reading about this... must play it!

Having a bit of trouble figuring out what realm to play as. So I'll list some Pros and Cons of each:
(please note, all this evidence I've calculated through forum posts, web sites and common sense... they may be wrong which is why I'm posting here)

Albion
Pro's
  1. I know 2 players there who can help me
  2. Things look 'normal'
  3. There's an ever increasing population
  4. I like Infiltrators... they climb walls[/list=1]

Cons
    1. They have a bad reputation (well, all the realms have a bad rep, but Alb. more than anyone it seems)
    2. Larger population = Packed hunting grounds
    3. Packed Hunting grounds = Arguments over kills
    4. Arguements over kills = less friends :([/list=1]

Midgard
      Pro's
      1. Combat based realm (I hate spells)
      2. ...umm
      3. ... can Shadowblades climb walls? SB sounds better than Inf
      4. Valkyn's are nice [/list=1]

Cons
        1. I hate axes
        2. I REALLY hate axes
        3. No Daggers
        4. Not a big fan of swords either[/list=1]

Hibernian
          Pro's
          1. Hibernian realm seems to be losing population, I can be useful
          2. Less population = more hunting
          3. Yay! Daggers[/list=1]

Cons
            1. Less population = less help
            2. I hate playing as small people
            3. 'Nightshade' doesn't quite strike fear into me...
            4. I hate spells[/list=1]

That's pretty much it off the top of my head. I'm not going into all this zerg rush or whatever, since I've read too many posts of players complaining how they were killed by 12 people. All realms complain about each other also, nerfing, overpowered etc.

Thing is, I like the Infiltrator but I read that the Albion realm is ofrever increasing in size and I don't want to stand around in a hunting spot where nobody will group with me (also read groups hate infil's) and I have to queue for a kill...

Anyway, perhps you experienced players could assist me here?

F

fl_gorre

albs

post is being posted by Sephirothh (pala albion) on fl_gorre's acc :
the only reason why there is so much hatred towards albion and we're called a "n00b team" is cuz , we own them , plain and simply, we own them soo much they hate us and call us noobs, which is a normal reaction , cuz i own in Q3RA3 too

T

Tobold

alb doesn't really have a bad rep (not on prydwen anyway) but you could argue that mid/hib are the bad ones, and just take it out on us ;)
sb/ns/inf are all basicly similar.
SB have more HP, hit for more, and get levelx2 spec points per level
NS have less HP (only lurikeens and elves can train as Nightshades which have low Constitution, but they have high Dexterity and Quickness) they hit very VERY fast, and get levelx2 spec points per level. They can also cast spells.
Infiltrators have a reasonable amount of hp (good amount if you roll a briton) they hit for an average amount, and get levelx2.5 spec points per level.

They can all climb walls.

in midgard you'll find troll, dwarves, kobolds, and norse (and lots of snow). They nearly all use swords,axes or hammers, you'll find the odd large sword, but thats about as diverse as it gets.
in hibernia you'll find lurikeens, firbolgs, elves, and celts (and lots of trees, often compared to a golfcourse). They all love nature and can all learn some form of magic. In hibernia you can find all sorts of weapons, from curved daggers to crystals attached to sticks, to large trunks of a tree, all very wierd.
Albion is the bog standard green rolling hills realm, you'll find knights in plate, wizards, sorcerers, diverse weapons (dirks, scimitars, hammers, poleaxe, halberd etc.). The problem with albion is that it has more classes than any other realm, and therefore it is sometimes hard to find what you need.

assassins are never a smooth exp ride, took me near to 6months to get level50 (although it was at the start of a server, so it will be easier for you) but if you like the idea, i would go for it.

perfect level 50 spec

stealth:35-->40 (i have 36)
thrust:50
critical-strike:39/44 (i have 44)
envenom:same as stealth (i have 37 though)
dw:the rest of your points (i have 14)
slash:1

gl leveling :p

K

kuragari

Having fun now :)
Been running around for what seems forever and barely know any of the map. The ones that come in the box were usless so I have no idea where I am. Near-ish Camelot that's all I know.

I've died a lot but then again, I've killed a bit more. No idea what half the commands are but I guess I'll learn those on the way. I think attack, stick and sit are the most important :)

S

squib

hehe sounds good.

yeah sounds like ur having fun, and at the end of the day thats the point. if you want to explore all the realms there is always the other english-based server. whichever your main is not on (excalibur or prydwen) you might want to put the other one on a different realm and explore that a little. that way you can at least see what you are missing.

Users who are viewing this thread