Just a question about a rule, not a revolutionary idea from me, I'm just wondering...

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

AFAIK if a clan turns up with 4 players on match day, the other clan also has to play with 4 players, the rules on this page are a little confusing on that subject, but that's what's happened in this league before. Now, surely the admin could just join the clan with 4 players' team so that it would start 5v5, but then suicide or leave the team before the FIGHT! so that it would be 5v4.

I know this isn't a new idea, but if it was done it might motivate clans to field a full team a bit more, if they knew that like the BWRA2L they would just have to play with the disadvantage of 1 less player.

Maybe this might already be the rules, but as I said there's no mention of what the other clan does when a clan shows with 4 players, or at least, if there is, it's not in a sensible place:).

B

bigfoot

I agree with this idea, whilst it would be fair to say that before my clan has benefitted from it there should be some penalty to not getting a full team out each week.

T

Teaser

I agree that it is naff that the teams have to be equal to play. The admin joining a team to have equal numbers would need to be done every round, which itself is awkward because alot of the time admins are admining the game and are also in irc, and quite often admins are doing two games at once - though hopefully this will be rare with the arrival of new admins.

Also, the way I see it, if one clan has (for example) 3 players while the other has 5, the admin joining wouldn't solve the problem, it would need two people. The teams must be equal in competition mode.

The obvious solution to me is to rip out this feature, or make optional in the next RA3 release. I really dont see why it is in the mod in the first place.

O

old.NightStrike

course if a team only has 3 the team with 5 would win on default :)

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

Yeah, but if competition mode was changed, it wouldn't need to be automatic default, then at least a game could happen:).

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

I've already been told I'm moaning, and I am so ner.:p

Okay, so we've just played BX and guess what happened? They showed up with 4, before I continue I should just say that I'm not saying they did that deliberately. I also accept that we lost and there's nothing that I or anyone else can do about it. What we can do though is get the rather silly rule removed. There were 10 players in the arena (including admin), but he couldn't do what I said earlier on in this thread because of the rules.

This is silly.

That's all I'm gonna say.

[BTW, when it was 4v4 they were very very good, but when one of their players joined and it was 5v5 for a few rounds we were winning rounds, and doing much better. We're just more used to playing as a 5v5 I suppose. That player timed out which was annoying because we were really doing well now that we could play with our full team:).]

Also, this is me speaking, not the clan, and no doubt they'll own me in a minute for posting about this:).

</moan>

O

old.NightStrike

best solution is to kick a3 out of the league :)

O

old.UncleSteve

Sucked how it happened but it did, nowt can do. Rule is a prob but 5v4 means the 4ppl will camp like mad to even get near to gettin nethin from the game. Suppose the only option would be to sat 5v5 or default but as Fix pointed out getting 5ppl every weekend can b v.difficult.

O well :D and i do appreciate NightStrike tryin to join bx during the start in order to make it 5v5 :)

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

Yeah that was very kind of him, shame they said no tho:).

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

From http://www.clanX.org.uk

UPDATE: A demo of the match vs induce is available here! Demo from Admin Teasers PoV (thx m8) - note that Teas was joining teams so that he could chascam players rather than getting crappo float vision that is standard in RA3 comp mode demos. Warning. Put the kettle on before watching the demo - this game went on for a fair old while =) If you have trouble running demos, I highly recommend GeekPlay.

-------

So why couldn't Admin-Nightstrike do that too????????

/me gives up

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

BTW, welcome to the clan a3 moan thread.

O

old.NightStrike

Teaser was joining teams when the game was in progress so he could spectate players and he made no effect on the game. If he hadn't left the team in time or something the round wouldn't have started. However in my case the rules say if one team cannot provide 5 then you must play as 4v4. Your best chance is to get Fix's attention to this thread but i doubt he'd go for it :) With the a3/bx match i watched it all but I know a few admins be in and out of irc having a chat just checking the game every minute or so incase there are problems. So it might be hassle for some admins. Particularly if thefixer say was the admin who has to organise irc, take scores etc. and to top it all off probably has a couple of private messages saying "Johnny Bloggs joined us last week can he play today"

T

Teaser

Players say the rules suck with competition mode on, but it needs to be. Players ask why can't the admins join and leave a team every round to let the game continue, admins say they are busy doing other things (such as in irc). The admins are there to admin, not to help a team out because they can't field a player. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I and all other admins and The Fixer agree the rules are pish, but we can't do anything about it. The admin options in RA3 need to be changed to reflect this, and until this I can't see everyone being happy. I can't see the logic behind the present RA3 rules, but there you go. :-/

I only went to the hassle of joining/leaving teams in the x -v- in game to make up for not getting a demo when they played in round one, and I thought it would be an entertaining match that people would want to see. However, I wouldn't do this for all matches - it's to much hassle and boring.

As a matter of interest, GTV in RA3 would be nice. Any possibility of this?
:-o

O

old.Tha^Ersatz

Well every match wouldn't be a 4v5 so Fix could just admin a 5v5 if he had to do things in IRC, same with admins, cos most games would be 5v5, so leaving and joining wouldn't happen all that much anyway (or you could bind a key to /kill, then you would simply have to press one key every round [that's not much effort BTW:p]), but I guess I'm not an admin so I shouldn't really complain:).

CBA any more, still think the rule sux tho:).

O

old.The Fixer

Teaser has pretty much summed up how all the admins feel on this. The 1st season was a real struggle and we were hard pressed to get admins at all for a lot of the games and db was doing two games a division for the last 4 weeks of the season.

We seem to have got some more decent admins in now and if things go ok during the next season this will be looked into further.

TBH what we really need is a change in the admin side of the mod. Only crt can do that, wrightd@gamespy.com if your interested :).

O

old.Swelt

I would like to thank Teas for going thru the hassle required to take that demo of the X v Induce game... I've admined for other leagues in the past and I know how boring it can be. I also know that people like to watch div 1 showdowns (and I think this match qualifies). So GG to Teas.

As for 5 v 4 matches... quite right that the change should come from the MOD and not the admins. Geez - these guys are giving up their saturday afternoons for this league - isn't it enough that they have to be there at all, let alone pay constant attention to the proceedings.

GTV - would be nice but some kind of delay in the relay would be required to prevent potential abuse. When it comes to a last man stand, the GTV is going to want to be following the last man... but that's exactly what a clan mate in GTV and roger wilco will be begging for so that he can relay that info to his team mates. I know that alot of clans have sufficient integrity to not do this, but it's better to rule out the doubt than have contention afterwards. And it requires a mod update which crt seems reluctant to do. That said... what about CPMA? I understand it has lots of extra features, but can run in vanilla RA3 emulation mode. Worth looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom