Judge: What's a website ?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Oh dear

A judge trying an internet terror case stunned a court by admitting he did not know what a website was.

Judge Peter Openshaw brought a halt to the trial as a witness was being quizzed about an extremist web forum.

He told prosecutors at Woolwich Crown Court: "The trouble is I don't understand the language. I don't really understand what a website is."

Prosecutor Mark Ellison tried to help the judge by explaining. But Judge Openshaw, 59, admitted: "I haven't quite grasped the concepts."

Later he said he hoped a computer expert would give "simple" evidence when called to the stand.

Judge Openshaw said: "Will you ask him to keep it simple? We've got to start from basics."

Ananova - Judge: 'What's a website?'

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
Proof. Not everyone knows about computers.
Proof. People are idiots.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
i get the thing that not everyone is computer literate, thats fine not everyone needs them, bu how the hell can you not know what a website is, i mean unless he doesnt have a telly or a radio, or read newspapers and magazines because they're always going on about websites Oo

the mind boggles.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well honestly, go into any retirement home and ask them.

Bet there's a couple of "idiots" there too.

It's an age thing, not a common knowledge thing.

We wouldn't stand a chance, wel maybe would, if an old fart questioned us about the 1920s.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
rofl he's only 59 thats hardly old, i mean if he's considered capable enough to retain the position of a judge i think maybe he shouldnt have lost his marbles just yet.

anyway he actually lives in this era, none of you lot were alive during the 20s (ha you missed out there, twas great... well the depression was anyway).

I still can't understand how he could never have seen a tv show and they said "if you want more information... or to enter our competition go to our website..." crikey even radio 2 has one and that really is the old duffer radio station.

Hang on a mo, did he actually know what the interweb is??

*goes off to listen to radio 2 drive time*

Tilda

I could count the number of people who got to the clarification at the bottom of that article in 1 hand.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I could count the number of people who got to the clarification at the bottom of that article in 1 hand.

Actually noticed it, was commenting more on the "you have to be stupid or old AND bonkers to not know".

At 59(which is an old fart by the way) it's totally possible not to know.

There's around 3-5mil(if not more) people in the US who have never heard of starwars.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
He had been simply clarifying the evidence presented, in an easily understandable form, for all those in court.

"Mr Justice Openshaw is entirely computer literate and indeed has taken notes on his own computer in court for many years," the statement said.
:rolleyes:

Oops already mentioned, /slap me for not reading the rest of the thread :p

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Well honestly, go into any retirement home and ask them.

Bet there's a couple of "idiots" there too.

It's an age thing, not a common knowledge thing.

We wouldn't stand a chance, wel maybe would, if an old fart questioned us about the 1920s.

We didnt live in 1920's tho, he lives now; and at 59, that aint even "old".

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
We didnt live in 1920's tho, he lives now; and at 59, that aint even "old".

The mention of 1920s was that it was the era that he lived in(well didn't, but anyway).

People always know more about the particular era they lived at.

Ofcourse peopel can learn of these things, but to a 59 year old, i think his main interest ain't in the web.

HArd to explain my point.

Tilda

59 is not old toto.
Its my grandfathers 80th birthday in a few weeks. He has broadband, a decent pc, orders off ebay and online sites and emails me every few days. Sure he's not as fluent as someone who's grown up with it, but atleast he's trying. You just seem to be writing off everybody over a certain age as old farts and incapable of using anything electronic.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
You just seem to be writing off everybody over a certain age as old farts and incapable of using anything electronic.

Don't try and make me sound like an ahole here.

60 is old(yes it's the granny limit damnit) enough to be an understandable age to not know stuff, people shouldn't be called morons or idiots because of that. Just because the "x generation" knows stuff, doesn't mean all the people who were and will be should too.

Yeah, i'm the bad guy here :rolleyes:

Overdriven

Toht, I didn't mean old people in general are idiots. (Since, they're not. They know lots of thing) I'm just saying, regardless of age in the Law industry, you should know how a computer basically works and the basic concepts of the internet :eek: (Even how to write 'WWW')

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
59 is old imo, if the average age is only 75, thats only 16 years before he pops it :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
59 is old imo, if the average age is only 75, thats only 16 years before he pops it :p

59 Facts
59 is young for a Giant Tortoise
59 is the average IQ score for a London football fan
59 is a big titty cup
59 is the 17th smallest prime number
59 is the atomic number of praseodymium
59 is the number of times an average person will think about having sex each day

Overdriven

59 Facts
59 is young for a Giant Tortoise
59 is the average IQ score for a London football fan
59 is a big titty cup
59 is the 17th smallest prime number
59 is the atomic number of praseodymium
59 is the number of times an average person will think about having sex each day

59 is how many times FH people mention gay sex in one day.
59 is one below 60.
59 is one above 58.
59 (Five and Nine) have 3 keys inbetween them both.
59 is the best age for a GILF.

o_O

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Toht, I didn't mean old people in general are idiots. (Since, they're not. They know lots of thing) I'm just saying, regardless of age in the Law industry, you should know how a computer basically works and the basic concepts of the internet :eek: (Even how to write 'WWW')

I am drunk and in glee, I just got Overdrivens autograph 4tw!! :p

Dukat

Resident Freddy
I think the more relevant point here isnt so much whether 59 is old or not, rather; why in gods name is a computer illiterate judge overseeing a computer terrorism case?

Whats a fucking website? You twat, didnt you read the case notes/background?

Strikes me as either the judge being a fool for not owning up to his lack of applicable knowledge, or if he did, the person who assigned that judge to that case was at fault.

In any case I wonder at this statement:

But the Judicial Communications Office later released a statement insisting Judge Openshaw was "entirely computer literate".

:touch:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom