Joss Whedon - R.I.P.

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Err...sorry if that just gave anyone a heart attack, he's not really dead - I subsequently realised it was a bad idea (but not how to change the title).

However, after May, there will be no Joss Whedon television, for the forseeable future - a couple of years at least by the sounds of it. He's the latest in a long line of truly innovative TV writers that US networks have decided they don't want on the air any more, as he doesn't write either a) cliched old cop shows or b) reality TV.

Anything else on US TV is either part of the increasingly stale Trek franchise or a more watered down version of something Joss already gave us - such as Smallville, Charmed, Mutant X etc.

The good news is that he has fought and fought and Firefly (the show I actually believe to be the best of the three, pound-for-pound) does seem to be going ahead as a movie, possibly as a springboard back to a TV series. Maybe there is a God.

He's probably the man responsible for making me laugh more than anyone else in my life, and for providing the most hours of rivetting thought-provoking storytelling. I know some people won't get this but I'm not embarrassed. The loss of Angel so soon after Firefly's non-start and then Buffy's demise will hit me hard.

There are others here who feel the same way, so please come in and share your thoughts, you are not alone!

Most importantly, I would like to ask if there's anyone who would like to join me for an unashamed Whedon geek-fest of an evening during May. I don't have a clue what I'm thinking of doing yet, so suggestions are welcome (hell, even if it's just having people round my flat for an evening of viewing pleasure, tears and general joviality then I'll be up for it). The evening would of course include a showing of the finale of Angel.

Thanks, Joss, for eight years of TV viewing pleasure. I await your next projects in a state of high impatience.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It does annoy me quite a bit about angel, all though not as much as it could have. Reason being, season 3 and 4 bored the piss out of me.. and as soon as Joss comes back to work on it for season 5, it's notably better. Unfortunately 3 and 4 did so much damage as to make me not care. Had it been cancelled later in to season 5 or during 6 I'd probably have been far more angry.

It's a shame really, cos if 5 is anything to go by, angel would have become really good again.

Jonaldo

Can't get enough of FH
Can't say I really appreciate any of those American TV imports you mentioned that seem to plague Sky 1 every evening but I understand a lot of people do like them. Just can't see the appeal myself.

Still, I thought that this was going to be about someone passing away, at least it's not really bad news. Good luck to the fella getting a new job, I just got a new job in Marconis so maybe he could try there :)

Mazling

Can't get enough of FH
Whoops @ topic :)
Can't say I fancied watching any of his work other than Buffy, but Buffy made me laugh, cry, think, squirm, and scream. I'll give the rest a go maybe ...

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Something I found a bit odd was a piece of trivia on IMDB, granted its sources are Joe Public who can get things monumentally wrong, but anyhow, this is what is written
The WB's announcement that it was canceling the show came at a time when it was rated second only to _"Smallville" (2001)_ among 18-to-34-year-olds. Earlier in the same month, WB's weekly ratings release revealed that "Angel" had earned "outstanding year-to-year gains" among demographic groups.

Some skullduggery mesthinks, no sane network cancels a show that's still on the rise 5 years into its run among one of the most difficult demographic groups and second to the bastage child of the worlds most famous superhero.

Of course, networks executives are quite simply put, a bunch of wankers anyhow who think cash not quality. Angel will probably be replaced by another inane reality tv show which i pre-emptively name "OMFG I can't believe it's another reality TV show"

*Rant off* :)

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
So is anyone going to be up for some kind of gathering or will I be sitting alone eating a lonely man meal-for-one and watching the last ep through a thin veil of tears? ;)

PS Announced this morning by Variety. Firefly movie is *definitely* happening.
http://www.fireflyfans.net/news.asp?newsid=473

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
i didnt panic at all - I didnt have a clue who he was!

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
I think he's writing with John Cassaday now on Astonishing X-Men, part of X-Men Reloaded. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Jonny_Darko

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, not sure about that - between now and Firefly being released his time will be mostly devoted to that, so how he can put the requisite amount of effort into X-Men I'm not sure!

Apparently he wrote a short couple of lines for the X-Men film but was never credited with it:

Wolverine: It's me!
Cyclops: Prove it!
Wolverine: You're a dick.
Cyclops: Okay.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Jonny_Darko said:
He's probably the man responsible for making me laugh more than anyone else in my life, and for providing the most hours of rivetting thought-provoking storytelling. I know some people won't get this but I'm not embarrassed. The loss of Angel so soon after Firefly's non-start and then Buffy's demise will hit me hard.

You should be embarrassed. Really :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom